Menu

For those whose students took the PSAT as both a sophomore and a junior ...

Did your scores stay about the same from year to year? If they went up, how much did they go up?

From casually looking over posts it seems like most scores stayed about the same from one year to another. I thought that was interesting - I expected to see a bigger jump between soph and junior scores.

I think you're referring to scores for the SAT??? The PSAT has a top score of 240' date=' so a jump of 10 to 20 points would be equivalent to 100 to 200 on the SAT. :)[/quote']

LOL, yes. I did read it to mean the SAT. I couldn't imagine the average SAT scores going up only 20-30 points from year to year.

PSAT's went up about 25 points.

Increased by 20-30 points (I can't remember the exact 10th grade score). There was a significant improvement, and she did no SAT or PSAT practice of any kind between the first and second tests.

I think it was the year of time to mature, and simply to have read more and taken more math.

ER's score increased 10 points (took PSAT in 2005 & 2006).

EK's score increased 26 points (took PSAT in 2010 & 2011).

I would be curious if people generally attributed the increases to test familiarity, a year's maturity, or some specific content area focus?

Both kids worked through the practice test booklets provided by the school where they took their tests, and they also did extra practice in math (the weakest PSAT section for both of them) using Peterson's In-A-Flash PSAT and In-A-Flash Math. I attribute their increases to familiarity with the test/process and also to the fact that they had covered another year's worth of content in math.

• 3 months later...

Pros:

- When you get scores back you can look for gaps that need filling in.

- This is a real test with potential for real test anxiety (of the sort that can't be felt at home) and real issues. The score tends to be more "real" than any practice test. Nerves tend to be lessened the second time around (or later for any other test such as the SAT/ACT).

Cons:

- One morning scheduled.

- $15

- You have to sign up with a school giving the test. This sometimes causes issues for homeschoolers (on the part of the school). Around here, there's no problem, but that's not true everywhere.

I did NOT have my guys use a prep book prior to their 10th grade test. I did have them do the practice test in the booklet they give you at sign up. I also had youngest do the practice test from middle son's 11th grade year since we had it. By knowing the format and timing, they are more ready for the real test - but without much studying.

We're starting to gear up now for this fall's testing (albeit will do more prep after Easter and through the summer).

We didn't have to pay anything when my son took the PSAT last fall.

I agree with creekland that it is helpful to gain experience in 10th grade when nothing is at stake by taking the test in the actual testing environment.

FWIW, two of my children's scores (ds#1 and dd#2) went down from 10th grade to 11th grade. Based on the cut-off scores for our state (IL), both of them would have qualified as National Merit semi-finalists in their sophomore years, but their junior year scores were just shy of the cut-off. They were both named commended scholars. Ds's score dropped 14 points, dd's 4 points. icon9.gif

OTOH, DD#1's score increased by 14 points; enough to make her a National Merit Finalist. :001_smile:

They all took a few practice tests from the College Board book. Since the older ones have taken the test a couple of times each, we now have a collection of past PSAT tests, so my youngest can review actual tests when it's his turn (one of the benefits of being a younger child).

Edited by Therese
added information about test prep

Howdy! Both my guys took the exam in 10th and again in 11th grades. Ds #1 increased his score by 17 points and DS #2 increased his score by 23 points; both of them have acheived National Merit Finalist status. Interestingly, they had exactly the same total score as 10th grades, although the breakdown was different for each of them. DS#2 was inspired by DS#1's achievements and started doing the SAT question of the day as a sophomore. That, along with dedication to strong academic performance (lots of reading and exposure to good vocabulary, etc), was really quite beneficial.

I strongly recommend taking the PSAT as a 10th grader - the student gets a "dry run" to figure out how to take these important tests. My older son did not know that there was a page of math formulas at the beginning of the test booklet when he took the test as a soph. No bid deal that year, but it would have been disastrous if it had happened during his junior year.

Blessings,

April

Dd#1's score stayed the same from 10th to 11th which really surprised me as she had learned quite a bit more math in that year.

Yep. My son's score went up 2 whole points. He scored fairly well both times. I was a bit disappointed because he had another year of math. He didn't seem bothered by it at all.:tongue_smilie:

My oldest dd's scores went up 8 points from 10th grade to 11th grade.

My middle dd's scores went down 14 points from 10th grade to 11th grade. The year she was in 10th grade, the NM cutoff score jumped up 5 points. It sounds like they overcorrected to make it a lot more difficult this year.

And then my middle dd took the SAT in January and with no more work made a higher score than either her 10th or 11th grade PSAT scores would have indicated.

My older son's total PSAT score went up by only 6 points from 10th grade to 11th ... I had been hoping his English scores might improve more than they did. Math went up 3 pts, Writing up 4 pts, and CR *down* by 1 pt :001_smile:. He was nowhere near Commended, even, so it didn't really matter. He recently took the ACT and did quite well, so that's a relief (the even balance on the ACT between English/reading and math/sci helps him, as opposed to the 2:1 ratio on the PSAT).

My younger son (grade 10 currently) would easily have made Semifinalist this year ... so, he doesn't need to improve his score next year -- but here's hoping he just can recreate this year's score when it finally counts! :001_smile:.