Menu

Families with lots of kids, what do you drive?

My SIL has 6 kids. She has a Ford Windstar that they changed so it would seat 6. They bought an extra 3-seat bench seat from an auto wrecking yard and put that in place of the middle row captain chairs. So that's an option if you want to seat only 6 and don't want to get a big van.

We only have 4 kids, but one is in a wheelchair, so we need a full sized van. We drive a GMC Savana conversion. I love everything about it, BUT (you guessed it!) the gas costs. It's like watching money drain right out of our bank account. Gas is about $4.25 out here. I'm spending at least $75 a week right now and we haven't had ANY extra curriculurs going on. It costs about $120 to fill up. We have a smaller car that I use (minus kids) when dh uses his motorcycle. Fuel has become a major part of our budget : (

We have an Expedition. Not enough cargo room. Missin' our 'burban. *sniff* But, it was dying, so we got the Exp as it made itself available at the right time ;)

I'd get another 'burban in a heartbeat!! Or an Excursion. I like my trucks. We just deal with the gas issue. Always have.

But we prefer the room of the 'burban/Excursion ... that cargo space in back..ooooh aaah Once our youngest two are forward facing in the vehicle, we have problems. We won't be able to fit any racing gear in the truck. The bag is too bag for the rear cargo space. THAT wouldn't be an issue in a 'burban ;)

We'd take a 12 pass. van though if needed. We just prefer the trucks/suv.

there are soon to be nine of us. We are driving an 8 passenger minivan (Grand Caravan) right now. As you can see in my signature, we have baby #7 coming in October. We have considered a Suburban that seats nine, but our oldest is only 10 and smallish, so I really don't want him in the front seat yet, not to mentioned we'd be maxed out again. So, we really need a 12 or a 15 passenger van. I am leaning towards the 12. So, do I want a Ford Econoline, a GMC Savana, or a Chevy Express?

there are soon to be nine of us. We are driving an 8 passenger minivan (Grand Caravan) right now. As you can see in my signature, we have baby #7 coming in October. We have considered a Suburban that seats nine, but our oldest is only 10 and smallish, so I really don't want him in the front seat yet, not to mentioned we'd be maxed out again. So, we really need a 12 or a 15 passenger van. I am leaning towards the 12. So, do I want a Ford Econoline, a GMC Savana, or a Chevy Express?

I'd like to hear more about the different full size vans. We have a Town & Country right now and barely fit in it. The 2 older kids are feeling cramped all the time and there is hardly any storage room. I love the idea of a 12 or even 15 passenger van....I can't stomach $100+ gas fill ups though. I'd have to just fill up 1/2 tank at a time and drive a whole lot less. Which is what we are doing now anyway. I read that the Duggars bought one or more of their vehicles through gov't auctions. Does anyone know how that works??

We pretty much decided that if this baby wound up being "babies" We'd move to the 12 passenger Ford (but then, we get the Z plan, below cost -- so it's really our best option anyhow).

If I were younger, and I had a good possibility of many more children, we'd probably just get the 15 passenger -- because it wouldn't get repaced for YEARS.

We do expect that we'll wind up with 3 vehicles. A mid-size car/crossover for dh to take to the commuter lot, and a small economy car for non-family trips. The van would only be used for whole family outings...

Now, if the move to Italy is on... It's a mid-size car/crossover and a motorcycle :D

In the meantime, we're hoping it's just one!

While I do love our Savana, we have already had to replace the transmission (after 4 years). It was covered under our extended warranty, but I would have been livid if I had to pay for that. I'm not sure if our experience is common. No other repairs besides that. hth,

15 passenger Dodge Ram. Dodge doesn't make them anymore. There is a hybrid out, but not quite as big. I love that it fits our large family w/ room to spare, but I HATE putting gas in it. 15 miles/gal on a good day. Makes me want to vomit. AND, it severely limits where we can go. I can't even visit my folks that much anymore b/c it costs about $20 in gas round trip. :glare:

http://www.adventurevans.net/webtemplate.aspx?iid=262417

We are really enjoying our van. This is a rental company that fixes the vans up to travel (6 captains chairs, and rear entertainment systems). After the vans get about 20,000 miles on them, they sell them.

They have several different configurations, as you can see on their website.

Just thought I would share. This van suited our needs perfectly.

Krista in Arkansas

We drive a Ford Expedition which seats 8 comfortably. I only have 3 dc of my own but also have a step son and usually have a niece or nephew or two living with me so the room is needed. I really like it but I don't like filling it up. It gets 17-19 miles to the gallon.

We have to move to the big van. What do you have? Why did you choose it? Do you like it?

Nothing like buyng the big van with gas $4 a gallon, eh?

Doesn't help you, but...

I only have one of my own now, but with another due soon and with two others frequently in my car, I love my minivan. Toyota Sienna, not a hybrid, 22 miles to the gallon, hwy and city averaged. (Long trips, 24 mi/gallon actual.) It has a LOT more leg room than a Suburban, too. Mine seats 7. There's an option for 8, I think.

I can also put a 4x8' sheet of sheetrock flat in the back with the seats out.