Menu

what to wear running in winter?

I have never lived anywhere this cold and run. So, all I own are shorts, some short and some long sleeves shirts, and of course running shoes and socks. What does one wear running in colder temperatures?? I went to the running store today, but the pants were $70:ohmy: I'm not paying that kind of money. So, are there any good alternatives?

Anything that is NOT COTTON. Cotton will not wick moisture away from your skin and you will got cold. I usually wear some sort of legging or yoga-type pant, a non-cotton shirt, a light fleece, hat, and gloves. I actually make a lot of my outdoor recreation clothing for just the reason you mention...it is EXPENSIVE!! Also, TJ Maxx is a great place for exercise wear, if you have one near you.

Dd wears "sweater legs" or some sort of long underwear under lined, windproof pants. I cannot think of an actual name for sweater legs... Leggings/tights that are sweater material? They were cheap and keep her warm! Anyways...

Windproof gloves (those convertible ones are great), ear warmers, an easy-to-pull-off-and-shove-in-your-pocket-when-you-get-warm hat, tight, non-cotton, long-sleeved undershirt with maybe another shirt and fleece depending on how cold it is.

I have heard that there are awesome cold-weather socks, but she doesn't have any. I have been contemplating buying her some because she wear minimalist shoes and the ground can be so cold.

Of course, all this is because dd gets cold. There are certainly people who wear only running tights, a long-sleeved shirt, a vest and gloves in 35ish (or less) weather!

I bought cold-weather running pants and a top about 15 years ago, I think from Title 9? They were not cheap, but I lived in much colder climates for many years and have used them near-daily in the winter months for years and years. (I never, ever put them in the dryer.) DH calls it my Star Trek outfit, and in fact, on January 20, 2001, he proposed to me when I was wearing it :D

Target has some pretty darn good running pants, they are sort of like tights with zippers on the ankles. I think I paid $25 for mine. I wore them this morning with a long sleeved, dry fit running shirt (from Target, about $20) and a dry fit hoodie for running. It has longer sleeves that wrap over my hands so I don't even have to wear gloves, which I still do because I don't like having cold hands. So, gloves are a must for me. I love my wrap thing that goes around my head and keeps my ears warm. I think it's Nike and I bought it at Dicks like 5 years ago. I ran a Ragnar relay last year from Chattanooga to Nashville and nearly froze my bootie off. I invested in the running hoodie after that. It was expensive but I've seen some for much less at Target since I bought that one. Also, don't pay $70 for running pants, buy them at Target, instead. You will be so much happier.

If you live where it is really cold, you really do need good gear, or your running experience is going to be extremely unpleasant and possibly dangerous. Go to the expensive store. Try on everything. Figure out what you'd really like and which sizes you need. Write it down.

Put them on your gift lists for anyone who might buy them for you.

Haunt your local thrift stores - I have a friend who wears only top-quality outerwear, but she's never paid full price for any of it, and has bought most of it at Salvation Army.

Watch Sierra Trading Post - they have great gear at terrific prices. You do have to watch and see what comes up and get it as soon as you see it.

Look at your local Costco offerings - I've found some nice deals on good quality outdoor gear there.

Anne

I basically follow the advice on this site - http://www.howtobefit.com/winter-running-layering-system.htm

I love running in cold weather, the coldest I've ever been out in is somewhere around -2 F. Well, I love it if it's not windy then I hate it. I love it because I don't sweat, lol, unless I over dress. I don't have any fancy running clothes, when it is that cold I have some polar fleece pants I run in and layer shirts/vests/sweatshirts, wear hat and gloves, even a mask especially if it is windy. It is actually easy to overdress. This winter I'm treadmill bound and it's a bummer but the only time I have to run is 5 am and I'll run in the cold but not the dark!:)

Well at 50, I still wear shorts and a tshirt. In the sun that is. And marathon cap.

Down to 40, it's shorts and long sleeves. And a marathon cap

Down to 35 it's capris and long sleeves. And a fleece marathon cap.

After that it's long running pants, long sleeves and a jacket that I usually take off. Fleece marathon cap and gloves. But the gloves tend to come off too. I know that works for me down to about 25. If it's much colder than that here, I don't run.

I'm so glad you posted this! It's starting to get colder here and I wasn't sure what I was going to wear. I run most of the year in capri running pants and a sleeveless running shirt, but it's getting much too cold to do that now. I've been borrowing DH's long sleeved running shirt and I think I may end up with something like that and some running pants.

I saw those jackets with the thumb holes at Target and almost got one, but I didn't know if it would be any good. Glad to know it is!