Menu

Name help, please!

Maybe offer her three or four choices, so she can have control over her name....or try them on, so to speak, for a few hours, to see if one "fits", that she is comfortable assuming for a time.

I'd offer like this:

my grandmother's name was Katherine.

My mother and mother-in-law's names were both Ann.

I admire a famous author named Charlotte.

I enjoyed an actress/comedienne named Lucille/Lucy.

But not for a baby.

Our next exchange student is requesting an American name.

All we know about her is that she is Korean, probably in her late teens or early twenties. Her given name is SeoYoon, nn Yuni.

We are a little stumped. No one has asked us to name them before, lol. Ideas?

Cat

Joni. As in Mitchell.

We have had exchange students. Ours have not chosen American names, but a lot of their friends have. Unfortunately, they picked popular names from about 70 years ago. Like, Percy, Clyde, Ethel, Mabel.

So, if I were you, I'd suggest names that are classic, not over-the-top trendy, but considered normal at this time. Elizabeth, Sarah, etc. If she wants a more trendy name, go with some popular ones.

The thing is, they can't tell which American names sound good, so give her some options. Some students think it's cool to have an American name, and it can make it easier for them when they introduce themselves.

Have fun with it. Google some baby name lists, and help steer her around the extreme or dorky names.

Susan

Suzanne

Sue

Annie

I would have her pronounce the name a few times to make sure that it is understandable to others. I knew a girl from Korea in graduate school and I think it is fairly common for them to pick a Western name to use in their English classes. I can't remember the name, but she pronounced her name in a manner that no one would. Something like pronouncing Alice as Elisa.

it is fairly common for them to pick a Western name to use in their English classes.

Yes, our last Korean student and most of our Chinese students already arrived with American names; they almost always use the one given them by their teachers. The Korean students' given names aren't so hard to pronounce, but it is difficult to pronounce many Chinese names properly, so most of the Chinese students on campus choose an English name.

Cat

Most of the immigrants I know who choose American names, if their names don't have an American translation, choose names that sound similar to their real name.

So... if she goes by Yuni (you-knee?), then I'd try to match that as closely as possible. I like the suggestion of June (Junie?). Can she say the "j" sound? That's a tricky one for many. If she can't say the "j" sound, go for something else.