Menu

Does your child absorb things you read while they are playing?

-- Button doesn't seem to. I've just received an order from Sonlight, and their tips incl. to let a fidgety child color or work with blocks during reading; but Button doesn't seem to retain what I read while he's playing. Even just futzing with a Rubik's cube dropped his comprehension astonishingly.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Maybe it depends strongly on the child?

:bigear:

ETA: he wasn't trying to "solve" the cube, just playing with it ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

It works with my kids, but maybe you need to use a less "thinky" thing.

I would suggest "Thinking Putty" but I just had a glob of it get all over an antique quilt, so if you go with that... make sure it gets put away. ;)

... it's well-named for the problem! I'll give it a try, and keep it off the throws ...

My oldest doesn't. If he's doing ANYTHING but sitting and listening, he will have no clue what I just read. If he had thinking putty in his hands, he would pretend it was C4 and make it explode. :glare:

So he sits with nothing to do but listen, and that works for us. I started him out on easier books to listen to, and worked our way up to harder books. Doing WWE1 also helped get him used to listening to harder works, as did Lang's Fairy Tales (good "old" language).

I think it depends on the child. I have one child where toys or activities are typically a distraction. This is even things like coloring. Math manipulatives don't work well either. He goes off into his imagination and reminds me so much of the little boy in the movie Like Stars on Earth (see this clip starting at 2:20 minutes) My visual-spatial learner is like that, except his paper would be filled with drawings. My other son could listen and play without a problem.

If he had thinking putty in his hands, he would pretend it was C4 and make it explode. :glare:

So he sits with nothing to do but listen, and that works for us. I started him out on easier books to listen to, and worked our way up to harder books. Doing WWE1 also helped get him used to listening to harder works, as did Lang's Fairy Tales (good "old" language).

LOL - my son does things like this as well. Putty wouldn't help him think. It would distract him. He loves listening to chapter books read aloud now, but it took SO long to get him there.

Mine do.

My oldest is actually one of those kids who CANNOT retain anything unless his hands are occupied while listening. He has a special "fidget" box that comes out whenever I'm reading aloud. It has thinking putty (that PP mentioned), a bean bag, a koosh, a water ball (the kind you fill with water in the summer that are squishy), the squeezy balls from the Target $1 section, a Bakugan ball, and a bouncy hard ball. Basically a variety of textures so that no matter his sensory need, he can get it met through one of the fidgets. He is also allowed to build with legos or blocks.

I notice their comprehension because it comes out in the games they play, the questions they ask, etc. Fidgets definitely improve retention here!

One would and the other most certainly doesn't. The one who doesn't is extremely imaginative and right brained. If he's doing anything (thinking putty included) his mind and imagination is fully engaged in the whatever. He really has to be sitting with me and following along with the text himself these days to engage his mind in the content.

Edited by sbgrace

Depends on what they have in their hands. With playdough, they are supposed to build something representing what I am reading about, and they each get a minute to tell the group about it afterward. (So if we are reading about Vikings, they can build a ship, or a Viking hat or whatever.) If it is coloring, I try to have a coloring sheet that relates to what I am reading about. During reading lessons, we have toys specifically designed for fidgeting with (squeeze balls, stress balls, etc.). They keep the hands busy, but aren't interesting enough to send them off into imagination land.

http://www.trainerswarehouse.com/Fiddles-Fidget-Toys/products/108/

Toys designed for use with imagination (Legos, dolls, etc.) tend to not mix well with readalouds around here.

DS cannot do anything or he does not comprehend/retain/hear what I'm reading. In fact, if he wants me to read something to him and he's doing something, he'll unconsciously stop what he's doing in order to listen. For instance, he keeps tricking me into reading during lunch time, but then he stops eating.