Menu

Where to buy play silks?

Thanks! I ordered from Dharma Trading, because it sounds like fun to try to dye them with Kool Aid. :)

We might have suffered a small addiction to dying silk from Dharma with Kool-Aid... We loved it and they have held up exceptionally well, even going through the washing machine! (We dyed around 18 in 3 different sizes.) And they smelled good, too. :tongue_smilie:

We might have suffered a small addiction to dying silk from Dharma with Kool-Aid... We loved it and they have held up exceptionally well, even going through the washing machine! (We dyed around 18 in 3 different sizes.) And they smelled good, too. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, fun! I can't wait for them to arrive! I only ordered 3, because I want to see how it goes before going overboard (as I am bound to do). I liked the larger sizes at Dharma, too, but now I'm wishing I'd ordered some smaller ones. Hmmmm... I do see how this could be addictive.

Did you find any particular colors to work better than others?

And - very cool to hear they went through the machine wash. Nice.

We did the dharma/koolaid method as well. I think my favorite one is the blue - I can't remember what we used, though. Is there a blue raspberry or something? It came out pretty light, but it looks lovely.

The red died surprisingly well. I was worried it would come out pinkish, but it really is red (like a watercolor red).

Have fun! :)

I'm glad to hear about the red - I was actually thinking of skipping red because I was worried it would come out pink.

We're going to start with blue, green, and purple. I think. And then if they come out, I'll order more.

Now I'm going to be stalking the mailman. Uh oh.

Washing machine? Really? I did these years ago with food coloring and while they came out great, putting them through the washing machine would have been a nonstarter. Just rinsing them out in cold always made them bleed plenty, which was not a big deal, but no way could they have gone in the machine. I always wondered if maybe I hadn't 'cooked' them enough.

I bought mine from Thai Silks, by the way. They held up for years. I should really buy more.

Washing machine? Really? I did these years ago with food coloring and while they came out great, putting them through the washing machine would have been a nonstarter. Just rinsing them out in cold always made them bleed plenty, which was not a big deal, but no way could they have gone in the machine. I always wondered if maybe I hadn't 'cooked' them enough.

Did you use an acid with your food coloring? The acid (plus heat) helps set the color. Koolaid wouldn't need any other acid since it already has citric acid in it.

Bumping this up today, as I've been working with Kool-Aid dye this afternoon....

Kool-Aid has a flavor called Pina-Pineapple which gives a beautiful yellow-gold hue to the silks. I dipped mine in orange first, then left it in the pineapple liquid for several minutes, and it came out beautifully! I didn't care much for the purple that comes from the grape flavor though. The pineapple flavor smells yummy!