Menu

How often do you wash your daughter long hair?

My six year old has long, brown hair. Halfway down her back. It is getting pretty hard to manage, but she loves it and it looks so good on her! I trimmed it today and hope that helps. But it seems to keep it really looking nice and shiny and soft and easy to brush I would need to wash it everyday. And we dont normally bathe the little ones everyday unless they "need" it. Do I need to resign myself to a daily hair washing to keep her hair nice? BTW, "I" dont even wash my hair everyday. I shower, but only wash my (longish) hair every other day. My hair is curly though and it works. Hers is straight. Is there other tricks to keeping it soft and shiny? Nightly brushing? Braids while she sleeps?

Thanks!

easy to brush isn't an option for us.

what has worked, for me and four dds with long hair, is

an every other day washing,

hair brushing and braiding at night,

hair brushing in the morning AND

a hair brush in the car to brush it each time they get in it.

it makes a huge difference.....

hth,

ann

I wash my dd's hair once or twice a week. Although she's almost 5, I use Aveeno Baby shampoo and body wash. Her hair is long (to the waist of her pants) and thin. It's shiny as long as she gets it washed at least as often as she goes swimming.

With my dd, I only wash her hair maybe twice a week. Any more and the oil glands start to overproduce and then it gets greasy. My dd has very long, fine, straight hair. When I washed it every day or every other day, it looked terrible.

:iagree:

Mine too. We wash her hair twice a week - shampoo and conditioner. The conditioner helps to keep it smooth and tangle-free.

:iagree:

DD has long, fine, straight hair. We wash it 1-2 times/wk and brush it once/day.

Thanks for all the replies so far! My daughter has THICK hair. And the problem is not oiliness from overwashing which I know can happen. But rather the tangles and dryness that comes after a day or so. her hair looks dull and is is rather dry but then looks so much nicer and shinnier after a shampoo and condition.

Thanks for all the replies so far! My daughter has THICK hair. And the problem is not oiliness from overwashing which I know can happen. But rather the tangles and dryness that comes after a day or so. her hair looks dull and is is rather dry but then looks so much nicer and shinnier after a shampoo and condition.

Ah. You may find that a leave-in conditioner after a water rinse will help. At one point I used a coconut oil based detangler spray. It worked well.

Braiding the hair at night will help prevent tangles. My daughter has long, slightly curly hair and a lot of it. Taking the time to brush, condition, and braid it has made a huge difference. We switch up the braids between one or two French or normal braids. She likes the variety.