Menu

Kindle books---buy a Kindle/Kindle Fire or can you read on ipad?

I am really enjoying Kindle books. Much more so than I ever thought I would. So far, I have gotten quite a few free through the Amazon Top 100 free ones (just dig for the gems) and read them on my Droid phone.

The problem is that the droid has a smaller screen and while it works, it isn't the easiest to use. I also like to read in bed at night and when I lay down the screen keeps flipping from long ways to short ways and back and forth.

Do I just go with the basic Kindle for a lot less money and enjoy my books or is upgrading to the Kindle Fire a much better option---are there things the kids could do on the Fire (apps, etc)? Can an ipad do Kindle books or just other forms?

I still like our library for some things but they changed the policy so that any requests have to be picked up and returned at your HOME library which is not the library we would typically use so I have cut way back on that.

We do have wireless here at home and our library does do Kindle books now if that makes a difference.

Just wondering if I would like a Kindle or other device enough to make it worth buying one.

I'm going to go against the tide here and recommend a Kindle. It is SOOO much nicer to read on than the iPad (my DH has an iPad, so I've tried both) - both easier on the eyes and easier to hold if you are planning to read for a long period of time. (Not to mention cheaper, and it fits in my purse!) If you read a lot, it's worth it. The iPad is okay, but I love my Kindle.

I would do the kindle touch. The fire, if I understand correctly, is an lcd type screen and just as hard on the eyes as the computer or ipad. However, the kindle will require a source for light if you are reading in bed without the lights on because it is not backlit.

I like the kindle touch better than the 1st model because it seems more natural/intuitive.

I just bought the Kindle Touch. I like the fact that I can turn the pages with the touch screen and that it seems easier to navigate than the plain Kindle. Also, the Touch has speakers for audio books and the regular Kindle does not (that feature was the deciding point for me). The Kindle, Kindle Touch, and the Kindle Keyboard are all eInk devices. The Fire is not - it is back lit like a computer.

Hope that helps - Brigitte

Ok, the light thing might be an issue. I like that I can read my kindle phone in bed as it is back lit. Then again the screen is really tiny.

I was hoping to get away from a reading light as dh doesn't like the light on when he is trying to sleep.

Maybe I need to see about borrowing one to try for a day or 2 and see if I really like it or not.

Oh, is there a way to "hide" books that you have downloaded but don't want to appear on the main screen? I have a bit of trouble with that on my Droid as I have "Sheet Music" as a download but I don't want my kids to start reading that one :-)

I have a Kindle Keyboard and I recently purchased a regular Kindle (no keyboard, no touch, $79) for DD14. I also have an iPad2. I much prefer to read on one of the Kindles. The eInk really does make it seem like you are reading a regular printed page which is easy on my old eyes, cuts down on headaches. Easy to see in bright sunlight but if I do want to read in bed I can just use a book light.

My iPad is nice, but I just really don't use it for lots of reading, I much prefer a dedicated reader. I think sometimes we want our "gadgets" to do too much.... Think iPhone... I have an iPod, I don't need my phone to play music too :)

I am really enjoying Kindle books. Much more so than I ever thought I would. So far, I have gotten quite a few free through the Amazon Top 100 free ones (just dig for the gems) and read them on my Droid phone.

The problem is that the droid has a smaller screen and while it works, it isn't the easiest to use. I also like to read in bed at night and when I lay down the screen keeps flipping from long ways to short ways and back and forth.

Do I just go with the basic Kindle for a lot less money and enjoy my books or is upgrading to the Kindle Fire a much better option---are there things the kids could do on the Fire (apps, etc)? Can an ipad do Kindle books or just other forms?

I still like our library for some things but they changed the policy so that any requests have to be picked up and returned at your HOME library which is not the library we would typically use so I have cut way back on that.

We do have wireless here at home and our library does do Kindle books now if that makes a difference.

Just wondering if I would like a Kindle or other device enough to make it worth buying one.

A couple of thoughts:

- First, the iPad does the same annoying thing with turning its orientation when you lie down. When you lie down and bring the iPad with you, it assumes you want it oriented the other way, and switches, because it doesn't know that you are lying down and want it sideways. I spend so much time trying to get the angle just right. I keep meaning to check whether there is a way to lock the screen, but never get around to it.

- We do not have a Kindle, but just installed the Kindle app for iPad and really like it. I also never thought I'd enjoy reading on a screen but I actually like it for certain purposes. I'm reading aloud to my older kids from a book I bought for Kindle, and I'm loving not having to hold the book open. I can sit back with the iPad propped against my knees and cross my arms in front of me, or hold the baby, and not worry that the book will close or pages will turn.

- The backlit computer screen is nice for reading when the room is dark. We are, however, considering buying a Kindle touch as a Chanukah present for the whole family. When you are not reading in the dark, I think it would be much more restful to have the e-ink screen than the computer screen. And the Kindle (or Nook) is much better, or so I've heard from everyone, for reading outside, where the glare doesn't work well with a computer. Plus, the Kindle is much lighter than the iPad. If you get a Kindle, I would agree with the others who recommended the touch, as this is what my DH has decided after looking at tons of reviews.

I think our biggest argument for a Kindle at this point is the library. If we checked out ebooks that disappear automatically on the due date, we wouldn't rack up fines. And I wouldn't have to pick up books and drop them off at the library on what seems a daily basis. My two oldest are constantly going on the library website without telling me and reserving millions of books.

-

Ok, the light thing might be an issue. I like that I can read my kindle phone in bed as it is back lit. Then again the screen is really tiny.

I was hoping to get away from a reading light as dh doesn't like the light on when he is trying to sleep

We have Android phones, iPads (1&2), and the Kindle Fire. Of the three I prefer the Kindle Fire for reading in bed. To me, the size and weight of the Kindle Fire are just right for that task. It is just a little more difficult to lock the rotation than the iPads, which have a physical switch, but both are usable. I find the iPad is simply too large to be a good reading partner in bed.

My one complaint about the Kindle Fire is that the backlight is just slightly brighter than I prefer for reading in the dark, even when at the lowest setting. It is still usable, however.

Oh, is there a way to "hide" books that you have downloaded but don't want to appear on the main screen? I have a bit of trouble with that on my Droid as I have "Sheet Music" as a download but I don't want my kids to start reading that one :-)
O.K. This is definitely a point for the iPad and a point against the Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire is all about showing anyone who picks it up the last 400 things that it has been used for. If you have been posting on the thread about bedroom toys, guess what sits on the top of the stack on the main page? I can only believe that user demand will eventually cause Amazon to change this, but who knows?

On the iPad, OTOH, the Kindle app is just another app and if you simply get out of it, your kids are not likely to even notice it. You can even shut down the Kindle app so that someone won't stumble upon it by looking at what is running.

Edited by RegGuheert

I just bought the Kindle Touch. I like the fact that I can turn the pages with the touch screen and that it seems easier to navigate than the plain Kindle. Also, the Touch has speakers for audio books and the regular Kindle does not (that feature was the deciding point for me). The Kindle, Kindle Touch, and the Kindle Keyboard are all eInk devices. The Fire is not - it is back lit like a computer.

Hope that helps - Brigitte

How loud is the audio? Could you easily listen while in the car?

- First, the iPad does the same annoying thing with turning its orientation when you lie down. When you lie down and bring the iPad with you, it assumes you want it oriented the other way, and switches, because it doesn't know that you are lying down and want it sideways. I spend so much time trying to get the angle just right. I keep meaning to check whether there is a way to lock the screen, but never get around to it.
There is. Go into Settings and click General on the left side of the screen. Then look on the right side for a section entitled "Use Side Switch to:" and change that from the default of "Mute" to "Lock Rotation". Personally, I think this should be the default setting for the iPads. Because of their size, I suspect they are used much less frequently for listening than iPods and iPhones.

Having made that change, the switch will lock the rotation of the screen when it is in the position farther from the corner of the iPad and will unlock it in the other position. When screen rotation is locked, there is a little icon in the bar at the top of the screen showing it is locked. It's quite nicely done!

There is. Go into Settings and click General on the left side of the screen. Then look on the right side for a section entitled "Use Side Switch to:" and change that from the default of "Mute" to "Lock Rotation". Personally, I think this should be the default setting for the iPads. Because of their size, I suspect they are used much less frequently for listening than iPods and iPhones.

Having made that change, the switch will lock the rotation of the screen when it is in the position farther from the corner of the iPad and will unlock it in the other position. When screen rotation is locked, there is a little icon in the bar at the top of the screen showing it is locked. It's quite nicely done!

Wow, thanks! I didn't even know there was a switch on the side, as it has been covered by my otter box all this time. Learn something every day.