Menu

My girls and I worked hard for the last 2 days to get our ornaments ready for this new tradition. We don't have all of them, some are printed from the website. I also changed some of the stories to add in Jonah and the fish and Daniel and the Lion den because I like the story/meaning behind them. We are starting with dinner!!! We are so excited! We found most of our ornaments at the goodwill and some at Michael's.

thank you! My advice to all w/ younger children is to make the ornaments quality-not paper-because you will want to keep them forever! When dd was 4 (now she is 12) we thankfully did this on most of them because now no one wants to throw away the precious ones she made when she was tiny! (I figured at the time we would remake them better quality when she got bigger and now the paper ones aren't holding up well!)

ETA: I thought this yr she might be too old for Jesse Tree but she begged to still do it! :)

I'm starting tomorrow. We had a really busy day today and I plan to do most of it during school time so we're starting tomorrow.

Being that it's our first year I'm going to simply print some black and white paper ornaments for the kids to colour and glue on to a construction paper tree. They'll each have their own set of ornaments and tree and we'll see how it goes before making a bigger investiment.

Can anyone/everyone share what readings you are doing?? I have downloaded the Ann Voskamp study but I'm not sure I can handle her style of writing! :p

Can anyone/everyone share what readings you are doing?? I have downloaded the Ann Voskamp study but I'm not sure I can handle her style of writing! :p

This is what I use:

http://www.crivoice.org/jesse.html

Scroll down near the bottom and you will find a table of Bible verses and ornaments to use. I modified it slightly on the readings and the ornaments, but we follow it almost exactly. If the readings are a little long, you can edit them somewhat to keep the kids paying attention, or else have the kids help you do the reading to keep them into it. We (especially the kids) really love the Jesse Tree, and I have lost count of how many years we have been doing it.

I made my own ornaments out of felt. However, one year my oldest made his own ornaments on paper, and that was just fine, too.

The one I have starts on Dec.1st and goes through the 24th.

Mine too. I got the McCaughrean book called The Jesse Tree. We've been to busy this weekend to do anything, so my plan is to make our ornaments this week to start on the 1st. I think I will divide them up between the two kids and we will make them out of salt dough and paint them.

But we did light our advent candle tonight and do our reading, so that was a sweet time of blessing for us all.

This is what I use:

http://www.crivoice.org/jesse.html

Scroll down near the bottom and you will find a table of Bible verses and ornaments to use. I modified it slightly on the readings and the ornaments, but we follow it almost exactly. If the readings are a little long, you can edit them somewhat to keep the kids paying attention, or else have the kids help you do the reading to keep them into it. We (especially the kids) really love the Jesse Tree, and I have lost count of how many years we have been doing it.

I made my own ornaments out of felt. However, one year my oldest made his own ornaments on paper, and that was just fine, too.

I am using this one, too. I changed 2 of the stories though, one with a trumpet and another one??? to Daniel and the Lions and Jonah and the fish. I like the story line better with those. We did it tonight for the first time ever! DH read the verse and then we discussed what a descendant was and who the special decendant was that they were talking about. We also discussed how God wanted the Earth to be peaceful not bad like it is (the first ornament is a dove). It took all of 5 minutes and DD-7 was disappointed that we couldn't do all the stories tonight. We have never done advent before.

Mine too. I got the McCaughrean book called The Jesse Tree. We've been to busy this weekend to do anything, so my plan is to make our ornaments this week to start on the 1st. I think I will divide them up between the two kids and we will make them out of salt dough and paint them.

But we did light our advent candle tonight and do our reading, so that was a sweet time of blessing for us all.

We have the McCaughrean book too. I've been sewing the ornaments and have 5 left to finish, so I'm glad I have a bit of extra time.

We are going to use this book, which only has 20 readings. It has directions to make ornaments for each day, or you can color and cut out cardstock ornaments that are included in the book. The 20 readings work out great for us because we leave town before Christmas day. Each day has a meditation to read, something to do with young children, and a bible study portion.