Menu

Looking for a spelling program--

moosemomma

I am looking for a spelling program to teach next year. I want something that teaches the rule as well as giving me a spelling list to teach. Also - I want it to show how to learn a word - not just give him a bunch of workbook pages to do and hope he learns it by the end of the week.

My son is going into second grade and has a good foundation in phonics. He reads a third grade level. I do not need something as extensive a AAS to teach him. I am hoping to find something for $20 or less and fairly easy to implement without a lot of extra work for me. Thanks for your help.

Jill

Have you looked at Spelling Power, rules, lists, easy to do. You can probably get a used copy of the sale board reasonably. I have tried several spelling programs, this has been the best for our family hands down.

Well, I recommend Spell to Write and Read but it costs more than you want to spend. It does cover spelling for about 4 years, though. Some people find it hard to understand, but it's doable. And it really teaches the rules and phonograms. You break each word down into it's phonograms and it explains why some words have funky spelling.

I didn't like Spelling Power. It groups words with similar sounds. The worst example is the long A sound. The "rule" in Spelling Power states that the long A sound can be written ay, ai, ey, ei, eigh, ea or a_e. Although this is true it really isn't a rule. The following word list would incude words spelled with each of those combinations. My dd, who struggled with spelling, would get terribly confused.

Have you looked at Spelling Power, rules, lists, easy to do. You can probably get a used copy of the sale board reasonably. I have tried several spelling programs, this has been the best for our family hands down.

Spelling Power also has the advantages of being nonconsumable and you only need one book for 3rd grade and up (though I am using it with my 7 yo who is an advanced reader). I spent $15 on my copy, used. It's the edition before they added the CD, but I haven't found a lack (and you can get the cd for about $5 from their website). As I understand it, pretty much everything that is on the cd is also in the book (forms, etc). Instead of buying their books to record answers, we just use a regular notebook (I have a ton of these from the back to school sales last year).

We spend about 10 minutes or so a day on it most of the time and I find it very "pick up and go" once you understand the method. If you feel that some of the discovery activities would benefit your student, that can take a few additional minutes. The biggest advantage for us, with a child who is a natural speller, is that she only has to study words she doesn't already know how to spell.

Paula's Archives has some good tips on using it http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SPhow.htm

Actually - I am planning on starting my 7yo on Megawords in the fall as a phonics. We have just done short vowel words, blends, and digraphs this year for spelling on our own. He did very well, but he still misspells when he is writing on his own. This is the reason I want to teach him the rules of spelling as much as a spelling list. Does any one know where I can find just basic spelling rules?

My son likes how we do spelling now - it is similar to Natural Spelling. I just wish I had rules to teach (part of his memory work, perhaps). Does anyone have any advice?

Jill

You might want to check out The ABCs and All Their Tricks

It is a reference book more then a curriculum but it covers all the phonograms and each of their sounds, gives lists of words for each, explanations, etc. I like to use it to learn why a word is spelled the way it is spelled...

I also use Wanda Sanseri's Alpha List from the Spell to Write and Read program. It shows ways to mark words for spelling, includes a full list of phonograms with their possible sounds and Spelling Rules.

hth

I'm not sure that I may mention this, so if it is regarded as advertising, I request that the moderators remove the message please.

Because I couldn't find the no-frills, rules based spelling program I was looking for, I wrote one myself. Level 1 of Word Attack Spelling which covers one syllable words is at Lulu.com. I am busy writing level 2.

Each section has copywork of the spelling rule, a word list and dictation sentences that use previously learned rules and sight words.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure that I may mention this, so if it is regarded as advertising, I request that the moderators remove the message please.

Because I couldn't find the no-frills, rules based spelling program I was looking for, I wrote one myself. Level 1 of Word Attack Spelling which covers one syllable words is at Lulu.com. I am busy writing level 2.

Each section has copywork of the spelling rule, a word list and dictation sentences that use previously learned rules and sight words.

Hannah

Do you have a couple of sample pages?

thanks

lori

I just noticed this. Any idea when level 2 might be ready? We are about half way done with level 1.

Jan

Jan, can you describe this? I'd love to see sample pages. How long does a book take? What level is it?

Any graphics or color?

I have level one. It is a mastery based spelling program so it will vary how long it takes to complete the book. Level one only works on one syllable words. It starts very basic. What is a vowel? What is a syllable? Then moves to short vowel words, and consonant blends, digraphs, floss rule, etc.

The lesson starts with the student copying the rule (if there is a rule). Then there is usually a list of 10 or so words that follow that rule. Some lists include sight words and exceptions. The student is to look at the word and try to form a picture. Then copy the word in a space next to the word. Then cover the word and spell the word. Then at the bottom of the page is some space for practicing words that the student didn't get right. Then the next day I will choose 4 dictation sentences from a list of many. Depending on how my dd does I might choose 4 more sentences the next day to work on the rule some more.

I like that there is not a lot of fluff to the program. We haven't been as consistent as we should with spelling so we are still not where I would like to be which is why I had started looking at other spelling curricula. After searching and not feeling comfortable with anything I have decided that it is not the spelling program that needs to be changed it is that we just need to be more consistent. Also I think I need to include more review than what is in the program by making sure to include past dictation sentences on occasion.

I have All About Spelling level one and the wording of the rules are a little different, but I think level one of this program covers most of the same rules. It is not as scripted as All About Spelling and doesn't have the cards, but the content seems to be about the same. I think in All About Spelling you are supposed to practice making the words with the tiles before moving onto dictation. There is not space on the pages in Word Attack, but you could do the same thing with extra paper or a white board.

I hope that helps a little. Maybe Hannah will post some sample pages.

Jan

I just noticed this. Any idea when level 2 might be ready? We are about half way done with level 1. Jan

I don't want to make promises about when it will be completed - it always takes longer than planned - but I hope to be done by the end of September.

Hannah

Do you have a couple of sample pages? thanks lori

I've uploaded preview pages to Lulu.com

Just bumping this thread so maybe Hannah will see it. Jan

Thanks Jan! And for describing the program. :001_smile:

I am looking for a spelling program to teach next year. I want something that teaches the rule as well as giving me a spelling list to teach. Also - I want it to show how to learn a word - not just give him a bunch of workbook pages to do and hope he learns it by the end of the week.

My son is going into second grade and has a good foundation in phonics. He reads a third grade level. I do not need something as extensive a AAS to teach him. I am hoping to find something for $20 or less and fairly easy to implement without a lot of extra work for me. Thanks for your help.

Jill

Here's another one to consider: The Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding. I use this only for spelling and teaching to read - not the writing chapters. It has a word list, rules, phonogram sounds. The book is $20 - 30, and all you need with it is a composition notebook, a pencil, and some flashcards (cut up from whatever you can find); and once you learn the notebook system, it doesn't take much time each day to implement. This program teaches the phonogram sounds and rules, and then teaches you to analyze each word on the list for the sounds and rules. I love it. And you can use it multiple times, over and over again. When you get to the end of the list, you can still use the sounds and rules and notebook to analyze new, higher level words.

I don't want to make promises about when it will be completed - it always takes longer than planned - but I hope to be done by the end of September.

That would be perfect. We should be finished with level one about the middle of October.

Jan

I have level one. It is a mastery based spelling program so it will vary how long it takes to complete the book. Level one only works on one syllable words. It starts very basic. What is a vowel? What is a syllable? Then moves to short vowel words, and consonant blends, digraphs, floss rule, etc.

The lesson starts with the student copying the rule (if there is a rule). Then there is usually a list of 10 or so words that follow that rule. Some lists include sight words and exceptions. The student is to look at the word and try to form a picture. Then copy the word in a space next to the word. Then cover the word and spell the word. Then at the bottom of the page is some space for practicing words that the student didn't get right. Then the next day I will choose 4 dictation sentences from a list of many. Depending on how my dd does I might choose 4 more sentences the next day to work on the rule some more.

I like that there is not a lot of fluff to the program. We haven't been as consistent as we should with spelling so we are still not where I would like to be which is why I had started looking at other spelling curricula. After searching and not feeling comfortable with anything I have decided that it is not the spelling program that needs to be changed it is that we just need to be more consistent. Also I think I need to include more review than what is in the program by making sure to include past dictation sentences on occasion.

I have All About Spelling level one and the wording of the rules are a little different, but I think level one of this program covers most of the same rules. It is not as scripted as All About Spelling and doesn't have the cards, but the content seems to be about the same. I think in All About Spelling you are supposed to practice making the words with the tiles before moving onto dictation. There is not space on the pages in Word Attack, but you could do the same thing with extra paper or a white board.

I hope that helps a little. Maybe Hannah will post some sample pages.

Jan

Thanks, Jan! That helps a lot! What a high recommendation to compare it to All About Spelling! And what a savings!

Thanks, Hannah, for uploading sample pages. You have more energy than I do! And a great way with graphics, etc.