Menu

Favorite phonics programs for 1st grader still strugglig with phonics?

momsuz123

Curious, with all of your experiences, what has been your favorite phonics program? I am overwhelmed with all the choices and thought I would ask the hive. I am using AAS and love it, but need more. Maybe I just need to go back and keep reviewing, more than I do. Basically, I need more carry over to reading, which is why I am thinking about adding AAR.

Any thoughts?

The Writing Road to Reading combined with AAS is finally what made everything click for Ariel. I used some of the methods in WRTR and drilled the phonograms, and had her write them during the spelling lesson. You can actually buy the whole set of phonogram cards from AAS, if you want them all to look alike.

Also want to mention that you may have a visual learner on your hands. Phonics relies heavily on auditory "listening" learning . Hear the sounds that make up cat , then sound them out ( your listening) then say it.

Some children develop this a little later on in life. I've found using a program like Reading Bear ( www.readingbear.org) is very helpful. Its great for visual learners.

My first and fourth are very much this way and learned to read easier when I incorporated a bit of a phonics/whole words method. Once I did that , reading took off and I was able to teach phonics because they had the confidence to read the word. It really can work and using whole words approach along with phonics is not evil like everyone on here likes to make you believe.

I have some very good readers because of it.

I also like Brillkids (www.brillkids.com ) . Its marketed to babies and toddlers, but the program works just as well for older children. I use this as well along with Reading Bear and my 5yr old reads extremely well. I'm not sure at what level she reads at the moment. But its a LOT higher than her three older sisters were reading at her age.

Since you are already using and enjoy all about spelling check out PAL, from Excellence in Writing. It uses AAS and adds games, writing, reading poetry... plus has a 100% guarantee.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/primary-k-2-pal-reading

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/primary-k-2-pal-writing

Since you already have AAS I think you would only add the $29 teachers manual and $15 writing dvd.

I have friends using this and the really enjoy it. My children were already well beyond it when this program came out and DH says excellent curriculum is not a good reason to have more children. :lol:

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading has been fabulous for us. My dd went from reading 3 letter (CVC) words at the beginning of K last year to reading hard, multi-syllable words now. We just finished and I am very pleased with her progress. I think OPGTR is great for building vocabulary as well. It has some tough words in it. My dd really liked the fun stuff they built in along the way, too.

Kathy

We've been using ETC, and it is very repetitive. My DD loves that it is easy; it is a confidence-builder. The material is easily mastered through the constant repetition too, and there are quite a few pages that don't require any actual writing. I wouldn't recommend the 1/2 numbers though - we bought them, but won't be using them. That would be just a bit too much repetition :D.

Christian Light's Learning to Read program hands down.

This is going really well in my house with my 9yo (he has various LDs that have him on a first grade level.) It drills new words (both "sight" words and phonetic words that they sound out but drill for fluency.) The readers include little pictures in the sentences to increase the interest of the story. For example, in one of the early stories there is a picture of a table in the sentence, so the child reads "Mom sat at the table" even though they don't know the word table.

It includes dot patterns, handwriting, spelling, fluency drills, etc.

Just my own take, but I don't think it's fair to say a first grader is "still struggling" with phonics when it's developmentally appropriate for first graders to be learning phonics in the first place.

And, um, we like ETC because it's so simple and easy. :D

Yes, I agree first graders are still working on this, but she was just evaluated by a SLP who specializes in the language part of things. My dd has had tremendous hearing problems, and just recently is showing some interest in books. There may be a reading disability, ie. dyslexia, or mild language problem, ie auditory processing disorder going on. She is being evaluated by other professionals too. When she comes across a word that she hasn't memorized (that is how she got through kindy), she won't even attempt to sound anything out. With me and AAS, she is starting to do this with a letter, but not a word. Does that make sense? Thanks for your thoughts though, I do appreciate it. :)

Yes, I agree first graders are still working on this, but she was just evaluated by a SLP who specializes in the language part of things. My dd has had tremendous hearing problems, and just recently is showing some interest in books. There may be a reading disability, ie. dyslexia, or mild language problem, ie auditory processing disorder going on. She is being evaluated by other professionals too. When she comes across a word that she hasn't memorized (that is how she got through kindy), she won't even attempt to sound anything out. With me and AAS, she is starting to do this with a letter, but not a word. Does that make sense? Thanks for your thoughts though, I do appreciate it. :)

Then my recommendation for Spalding is even stronger. :-)

Then my recommendation for Spalding is even stronger. :-)

I have been looking into Spalding since you mentioned it yesterday. Thanks. Is enough grammar included to not need FLL? That is what we are using right now. Is it just a phonics program? I will have to spend more time obviously really looking into it, when I get a chance later.:)

Here are the phonics resources we used...

Alpha Phonics by Samuel Blumfeld

Color Phonics by Alpha Omega Publishing

Starfall Phonics www.starfallphonics.com

The Complete Book of Phonics

Modern Curriculum Press Phonics

Dr. Seuss Bright and Early Books and Dr. Seuss Beginner Books

Dick and Jane readers from the 1960's

I did go through OPGTTR by Jessie Wise to make sure we were on track with teaching the subject.

:)

Edited by kalphs

I have taught two of mine to read so far, as well as helped a sibling and tutored a friend's child, using <a href="http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=20142">TATRAS</a>

The site I linked that too has a very detailed description, and I'm cutting and pasting my own review I've already written. It is a spin off of the Spalding method, too, but simpler than Spell to Read and Write. The book looks a little overwhelming at first glance, but it comes with a DVD showing you how to use it. It even includes instructions for how to teach remedial (more like 10yo) phonics.

---my review---

My mom taught 6 of her children to read with this method and I have so far taught 2 with it. It is a simple and straight-forward "vertical" phonics method where you memorize all the sounds of each letter and letter combination (phonogram, like th) at one time. The program includes more phonograms than many other programs, resulting in there being far fewer words that "break the rules" of the system.

The pages can seem intimidating at first if you just start by opening it up and browsing; there is a lot of information on each page! However, the DVD lays it all out and demonstrates a lesson in action. It is not glitzy, colorful, or visually appealing, but it gets the job done and done amazingly well.

The author believes in a more laid-back, slow approach; he recommends starting reading lessons at 6 years old. While both my children who are reading so far began to read when they were 5, this program is primarily for students who are ready to read. It will not likely work to push a young student to read early. The materials and method will give the student the tools needed to sound out phonograms, but then you wait for the ability to blend those sounds to "click." There is not drill or practice included to urge or cultivate that blending ability. I taught my children the phonograms before they could blend, then once that skill developed, they were both reading with ease and progressed very quickly. The author also includes tips for using this material remedially for older students who are not reading well.

The script and routine laid out is basic, quick, and easy to implement. However, this program works easily as a framework for those who would prefer to wing it. I never really followed the author's lesson outline, but instead used the charts for phonogram drill, then used Bob books and other early reader books for the blending and reading practice. The books were more enjoyable and motivating to my children than the word lists provided. There is a chart with all the sounds on one page that I reviewed myself so that I knew all the sounds (67 phonograms) and rules (12 phonic rules), then I taught many of them on-the-fly as we encountered words along the way.

This is an excellent program, with clear instructions for rules-oriented people and with straight-forward material for improvising types. I commend it without reservation.

I have been looking into Spalding since you mentioned it yesterday. Thanks. Is enough grammar included to not need FLL? That is what we are using right now. Is it just a phonics program? I will have to spend more time obviously really looking into it, when I get a chance later.:)

Spalding teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so it really wouldn't be accurate to say that it's a "phonics" program. It is enough English skills that IMHO a 6yo wouldn't need FLL at the same time. It is a complete English course for children up through at least third grade (approx. 8yo).

:iagree: I recommended OPGTR to everyone I know! It worked out awesome for my daughter and I'm now using it with my son. Do OPGTR and throw in some Starfall.com or Readingeggs.com and you're good to go! :001_smile: Not to mention it's inexpensive!

Yep, I bought OPGTR last week based on everything I have been hearing about it, plus it wasn't much $. I am just going to have to keep trying things and looking into new ideas/curriculum. Thanks!

Curious, with all of your experiences, what has been your favorite phonics program? I am overwhelmed with all the choices and thought I would ask the hive. I am using AAS and love it, but need more. Maybe I just need to go back and keep reviewing, more than I do. Basically, I need more carry over to reading, which is why I am thinking about adding AAR.

Any thoughts?

We love "An Ant - Learn to Read." It is the only phonics program that teaches through stories. Book 1 has 97 stories and it teaches words with the short vowel sounds. It includes flash cards in the back of the book that you cut out, and there are writing practice pages where the new words are printed in light gray and kids can trace over them. Even if they are not coordinated yet with a pencil, they can easily trace the words, which enhances the learning.

There is a really cute video of a 4-year-old reading the book on YouTube. I don't know if I am allowed to post links here, but if you just go to YouTube.com and search for "An Ant - Learn to Read" you will find the video. You can see that the stories are a little like a comic book, with four panels on a page and a sentence of text under each panel. It doesn't have the "balloons" like a comic book, just the panels. Then at the bottom of each page is a gray-shaded teacher's section which gives you step-by-step instructions for each page.

This company is also generous with their give-aways, as you can download extra writing practice pages so the same book can be used with more than one child.

One last thought: Most phonics books have really primitive black and white art. "An Ant - Learn to Read" has very nice color illustrations on every page.

I have not read all the replies so if this has been said please forgive me- but I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you get your dc eyes checked by a COVD.org doctor. My 1st grade ds struggles and I fought and fought against the recommendations that we have him checked because we have a 4 hour drive 1 way to get to the nearest one (we live in a very rural area) I tried so many phonics programs but NONE worked. We had his eyes checked by a regular eye dr and he found nothing so why would I drive 8 hours in a day to go to another??

Well we did and ds has major issues with his eyes! I had no clue! No clue at all. I mean, the regular eye dr missed EVERYTHING. I am forever greatful (just wish it didn't take me 9 months to do it) My 2nd comment in this thread shows everything they found. I, his mother, MISSED all of this. It is well worth it, just to be sure there are not struggles going on there!!

To answer your question though-- we use Phonics Pathways, ETC, AAS, Starfall, Sonlight Readers, Victory Drill book, Reading Pathways and Bob Books.

That is not the only things we tried. That is what we currently use, though I am putting it on hold until we get a ways into VT except for ETC and AAS because those are his 2 favorites!

When I pulled my daughter from public 1st grade, she was struggling with phonics and not reading where she should be. Turned out she is dyslexic. (Not saying your child is, but that even with a learning disability, sharing what helped.)

What worked for us:

- Free time at Starfall

- ClicknKids Phonics (on line web site) 1 lesson per day (the independence helped)

- Basic readers from the library/read alouds

Once she got through ClickNKids (which is about 3-5 months, depending on whether your child needs to start at lesson 1 or not), I had a sit-down talk with her about how she just needs to read. How I KNOW the books that she can read were not her favorite books ever, but if she could *just* push through and read several books daily, her skills would improve rapidly and she could move on to books of interest.

She really heard me. Within another month she was reading very simple chapter books of interest to her, and I would let her spend most of 1st grade just reading. Seriously, just reading. We did 1 math lesson a day, 1 writing activity, and the rest of the day she read whatever fluffy junk she got from the library plus a couple non-fiction selections I'd make her choose.

She became an extremely proficient reader. A lot of her reading is context-reading and we now still work on phonics on a more advanced level, but now that she can read proficiently, SO many more doors are open in terms of constructing our school day.

Good luck!

Thanks all, you have all been so helpful. I feel a little like a curriculum junkie, but I did go and buy AAR level 1, and got OPGTR just last week also. I plan on combining those 2 along with morestarfall.com, Reading eggs, and I am now going to look into a few more sites,books, readers that you all mentioned.

My plan is this: not to worry and "label" her a struggling reader, (she is only 6.5 y/o), although she may be dyslexic, I am not going to jump ship and switch absolutely everything yet because she is definetely making progress with AAS and a lot of read alouds, do reading eggs and starfall to change things up, add in OPGTR and AAR daily (she loved doing AAR today, we did several lessons). I am interested in learning more about Spalding, but a little intimidated by it too. Since AAS is really working and helping her with her phonics, I am hoping that adding the AAR will only further that. My goal is that by summer, she actually enjoys doing some reading and has the ability to sound out most words that are appropriate for her age/level.

Thoughts/ideas?

I've found using a program like Reading Bear ( www.readingbear.org) is very helpful. Its great for visual learners.

Thanks for the mention, Tracy. I'm the guy behind Reading Bear. So...not only is it a 100% free, non-profit, and charitable educational project, the project manager is a homeschooling dad (me!). So you can feel free to report bugs (you won't find many!), make small change requests, or even make big feature requests. I can't make guarantees, but we aims to please!

Thanks for the mention, Tracy. I'm the guy behind Reading Bear. So...not only is it a 100% free, non-profit, and charitable educational project, the project manager is a homeschooling dad (me!). So you can feel free to report bugs (you won't find many!), make small change requests, or even make big feature requests. I can't make guarantees, but we aims to please!

I was just looking at Reading Bear - thanks. I am going to try this with my daughter tomorrow!