Menu

My turkey is not thawing

I bought a frozen turkey yesterday afternoon. When I got it home I put it in the alternative 'fridge (mudroom) since there is plenty of room there. I checked on it a bit ago and it is not thawing. I don't know the exact temp out there, but it does not feel below freezing. Although it might be since it is 31* outside.

Should I bring it inside during the day? It is about 55*F inside the house.

Should I just give it more time?

There is no room in the actual 'fridge. It is small and oddly positioned in the kitchen. I can't get the doors open all the way because of this.

Do you have an oven thermometer or something you can pop in the fridge and figure out the temperature of the outside fridge? I think it's supposed to be between 35 and 40 degrees.

I guess I should go get the garden thermometer and check. I thought it would be warm enough since the drinks out there are not frozen.

I got this from the Butterball site:

Cold-Water Thawing:

• Thaw breast side down, in unopened wrapper, in enough cold water to cover it completely.
  • Change the water frequently to keep the turkey chilled.
  • Estimate a minimum thawing time of 30 minutes per pound for a whole turkey.

I bought a frozen turkey yesterday afternoon. When I got it home I put it in the alternative 'fridge (mudroom) since there is plenty of room there. I checked on it a bit ago and it is not thawing. I don't know the exact temp out there, but it does not feel below freezing. Although it might be since it is 31* outside.

Should I bring it inside during the day? It is about 55*F inside the house.

Should I just give it more time?

There is no room in the actual 'fridge. It is small and oddly positioned in the kitchen. I can't get the doors open all the way because of this.

Do you have a thermometer you can put in that fridge? If you can adjust the temp, and get it up to about 38-40, it might thaw. I bet that fridge, being in an unheated room, is much colder than you'd normally keep a fridge.

Or speed up the process by cold water bathing it and then return it to the fridge.

That would defeat the purpose, eh? :D

I'll just leave it out there until Wednesday morning. I'll put it in the cold water bath while I'm making/cooling the brine.

It will still take 8 hours to thaw in a cold water bath. So, you might want to do it overnight, changing the water in the morning and giving it a little extra time while making the brine?

can you count the brining time as part of the thawing? That would be a version of the cold water bath ;)

that said, i read a story online of someone who thawed her turkey in a jacuzzi tub in the house - the water kept moving, as did the turkey. they started with cool water. i'm willing to believe it's an urban legend.

can you count the brining time as part of the thawing? That would be a version of the cold water bath ;)

that said, i read a story online of someone who thawed her turkey in a jacuzzi tub in the house - the water kept moving, as did the turkey. they started with cool water. i'm willing to believe it's an urban legend.

I'm willing to believe someone could actually get that desperate. ;)

Not that I've ever forgotten to thaw a turkey or anything. I have so far neglected to buy one... :tongue_smilie:

Not that I've ever forgotten to thaw a turkey or anything. I have so far neglected to buy one... :tongue_smilie:

TWO years in a row I kept thinking, Ooh, I'll pick up that $.49/lb. turkey, except that both years, I went shopping on Wednesday--and they are frozen turkeys.:glare: I had to pay for the more expensive, thawed ones. I think I have finally learned this lesson though.

This year, dh bought an 18 lb. turkey on Friday and keeps freaking me out by saying it won't defrost. It'd better thaw, or I'll be secretly bathing it all Wednesday night long.

One year my BIL called us Thanksgiving morning asking how to thaw his completely frozen turkey! This thread is totally bringing up those memories. It was in a college apartment, so he ended up cold water bathing it in his bathtub because the sink wasn't big enough and eating LATE at night!

Then don't thaw it -- cook it from frozen:

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/barfblog

(Right now, it's the third story down from the top but the guy who writes this blogs adds to it pretty frequently -- so it could be further down than that when you read this).

The article says it takes 1.5 times as long to cook a turkey from frozen to cooked, but that it's perfectly safe.

So, skip the jacuzzi, kitchen counter, back porch, and let it sit in the frig. If it is still frozen, simply throw it in the oven earlier.

Or, use the brine as part of the thawing bath. I just saw this mentioned on a live Food Network show on Saturday with Alton Brown.

A refrigerator is only about 40*F, so you should be fine with putting it in the bath and setting it in the garage or someplace safe but cooler than the house. That way it thaws and brines at the same time.

**BTW, is your house really 55*F inside? brrrrrrrr :001_huh: