Menu

What is your favorite cookbook?

I have a few go-to cookbooks. HOWEVER, I also subscribe to Everyday Food Magazine. I love it because it offers tons of seasonal ideas and often features foods ignored in my more traditional cookbooks. I get new ideas each month that are appropriate for the season. Even if I have made something similar in the past, it reminds me in the right season.

I usually wind up making at least a few of the recipes in the month that follows. I mark the ones I really like with a post-it flag and label the flag so that I can find them easily again.

eta some specific information:

October's issue had one slow-cooker recipe, a low-calorie soup, a bunch of information and recipes featuring pears (a salad, a sandwich, a meat-based main dish and 2 desserts), 4 pumpkin seed recipes, main-dish vegetarian squash recipe, another soup, some cauliflower recipes (including alternative ingredients to make the dishes lighter), another main-dish vegetarian meal using squash (this one labeled as a dinner under $10), a basic cornbread recipe with suggested add-ins, a mac-n-cheese recipe with suggested add-ins to use the leftovers to make a second meal, some Halloween party snack ideas, a fantastic pot roast recipe, how to make a "better" (ie, healthier) baked potato by using a sweet potato and healthy substitutions for traditional toppings, granola recipe, a recipe using flank steak and potatoes, some one-pot meal ideas (salmon, beef stroganoff, braised chicken, potato hash with spinach and eggs, butternut squash with shrimp)...and that's only half of the magazine.

Last July's issue featured things more like salads, BBQ meals, popsicles, no-cook recipes, lemonades, etc.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. It has quick easy recipes with multiple variations and Bittman throws in a wide variety of foods from around the world. Highly recommend.

I'll cosign that. His book of international recipes is also very good.

My other staple cookbook is Madhur Jaffrey's Invitation to Indian Cooking. That poor book is so stained with tumeric and cumin I can barely read it.

For a variety of international foods that taste pretty authentic but are easy to make from what you can find at the grocery store: Betty Crocker International Cookbook.

For the best food ever, heart attacks on plates, yum! Sunset's French Cooking or Country French Cooking.

For totally optimized recipes for lots of different kinds of food, "Beat This".

For 'standard' food and a reference book, Joy of Cooking.

For cookies, the old Betty Crocker cooky cookbook, the one with the red cover with all the pictures of cookies on it.

For cooking with flair: "Savory Baking" applies baking techniques to non-dessert dishes. Very rich, awfully doggone good.

For bread: Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, and "Soup and Bread" by Crescent Dragonwater.

I'll cosign that. His book of international recipes is also very good.

My other staple cookbook is Madhur Jaffrey's Invitation to Indian Cooking. That poor book is so stained with tumeric and cumin I can barely read it.

I have another Jaffrey book -- Vegetarian Cooking Around the World -- and have been wondering which Indian book of hers I might like best. Glad to have the recommendation.

Not a Bittman fan, here. I never quite like the way his recipes come out.

I have a lot of cookbooks. I absolutely love Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison and have cooked dozens of things out of it over the years, all of them delicious.

I also have a number of cookbooks from the Cooks' Illustrated folks; IMO, the best of the bunch are:America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook, and The Best Recipe Soups, Stews, and Chilis. Oh, and The Slow Cooker Revolution is the best slow cooker cookbook out there, period.

For baking, King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.

The New York Times Cookbook, by Amanda Hesser, is not really an everyday cookbook but is a wonderful read and has a few killer recipes. For special occasions the Gourmet Cook Book (I have the 2004, but covet the newer one), Ruth Reichl ed, never lets me down. And my mom gave my Jamie's Dinners, by Jamie Oliver, which I have used much more than I ever thought I would (some great soup recipes in there).

I will be reading along this thread with interest. I would love to get some better international cookbooks (especially Asian). I have a bunch of Chinese and Japanese cookbooks but am not really crazy about any of them. The Sunset Magazine Oriental Cook Book is probably the best of the lot.

ETA: I also agree with Ms Mungo's recommendation for Everyday Food. I think they've compiled the recipes into books, too.

Edited by JennyD

Several of the Moosewood cookbooks contain favorite recipes of mine. My husband's favorite cooksbook is the falling apart Florence Lin's Chinese Noodles, Dumplings and Breads. He makes great dim sum using recipes and techniques from this book.

My newest cookbook is Lane Morgan's Winter Harvest. We are eating more local foods which led to the problem of "Just what do we do with this kohlrabi?" Lane Morgan's cookbook focuses on the lesser known winter vegetables.

I love Bittman too.