Menu

Need under $50 gift suggestions for 9 yo boy!

I am looking for ideas for gifts for my son. He has said he doesn't want much. Here's his list so far:

1. Inline skates (grandma getting)

2. Cover for the Kindle Fire that he's been saving for, and which will arrive this week :001_smile: (aunt and uncle)

3. giant shark model?? I have no idea where to get this. And I don't think it's sub 50 bucks.

He doesn't want more Legos. As he's said, he has a lot of stuff already (snapcircuits, board games, magic kits, chemistry kit, microscope) He likes science stuff, clearly :)

He has been hinting that he'd like a phone, and we are considering a tracphone type thing as he is left alone for about 10 minutes in the house once a week, plus he walks around our neighbourhood and I think it would be safer for him to have a way to communicate with us. I think he'd be happy with that....

Ideas appreciated.

I also have a nine year old son big into science. :-)

We went over 50 last year and got him a microscope from http://www.mindware.com/p/Microscope-Kit-and-Book/41030

This year we are adding prepared slides from the local science store. Be warned though, he and his 9 yr old friend were looking at boogers and scabs through the microscope! :-)

Also Non-fiction science books (as in information not story), mysteries, and magazines.

Hope this helps. Funny how children can be so hard to shop for!

These Zorb digital magnifers are sciency and really fun. They plug into the USB port on a computer--both kids and adults around here have been facinated.

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Optical-Safari/dp/B001GIDW2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321317017&sr=8-1

I got one for under $30 and it's been a lot of bang for a buck. I'm attaching a scalp shot taken with it.

post-12862-13535085740824_thumb.jpg

Hacyon,

From your siggie, I always assume your son has been 9 for quite a while. So he is turning 9 now?

My son just turned 9 two days ago. We bought him

A watch (14.99 from Amazon)

Socks

and Lego (9.99).

He also got a game called, "Ticket to Ride" from grandparents.

aomom-No, he turned 9 in July :) I am thinking ahead to Christmas as I'd like to get all the shopping done asap. I love the socks idea too-he's ALWAYS LOSING SOCKS. Do NOT ask me where they go. Sock heaven, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

These Zorb digital magnifers are sciency and really fun. They plug into the USB port on a computer--both kids and adults around here have been facinated.

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital-Microscope-Optical-Safari/dp/B001GIDW2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321317017&sr=8-1

I got one for under $30 and it's been a lot of bang for a buck. I'm attaching a scalp shot taken with it.

I have had those on my wish list for a while! thank you!

Does he have a mini dv cam? I gave my son this cheapo Kodak for his birthday several months ago and he uses it nearly every single day. It's $40 on Amazon now but they occasionally run deals where you can get it for $30. It can't do anything fancy but he loves it.

It is supposed to be waterproof but I noticed that many of the negative reviews on Amazon mentioned water damage so I never told my ds it was waterproof. It has held up just fine so far.

ETA: Hmm. It looks like the link I provided brings up the red one, which Amazon has a $65 price tag on right now for some crazy reason. Click on "grey" to see the $40 one.

Edited by Element

Here is a $30 shark model from Discovery Channel:

http://store.discovery.com/4d-shark-anatomy-puzzle/detail.php?p=104729&v=discovery-kids_toys-games_discovery-exclusives

I knew I had seen this the other day in a mail order catalog!

THank you! I've seen that one, but he wants one that is about 3 feet long :lol: That's what he says, anyway. I like that one and I think I might get it anyway, along with either a bean bag pillow or some sort of back pillow for bed (that's a good idea, he reads a lot in bed)

LOL. I know I saw one with its teeth showing, only it was a little smaller. DH asked me why I was smiling and I told him what your ds wants for christmas.....he said, "that sounds awesome" :D :lol:

Let me know if you find the link-I've been looking forever, and I am a google queen! :001_smile:

And yes, my son wouldn't mind the giant shark suspended from his ceiling, or mounted on the wall, or something similarly interior-design-impaired...

Hijacking here for just a moment - I was just looking at this microscope in the catalogue - how do you like it?

We really do like it. My children and their friend have all enjoyed using it. It is set up on my son's "desk" (read area to be used as a desk, but so full of stuff cannot be a desk). We have not had any damage to it, the children have been able to use it when needed for school, but mostly use it spontaneously.

Is this the shark he wants?

On my DS's list, for under $50 we have:

A small binocular/microscope thing

sketch book and lots of how to draw books

mechatars

a balloon twisting book and kit (how to)

the lego Master Builders' Academy Kits- I know you said DS doesn't want more legos, but this might be different. The 1st kit is only $30

comic books (funny ones)

a fish training school

joke books

redakai stuff

maybe a telescope? DS also wants a telescope. I haven't put one on the list yet but I'm hoping to see one come up with a good sale (under $50) sometime before Christmas.

We really do like it. My children and their friend have all enjoyed using it. It is set up on my son's "desk" (read area to be used as a desk, but so full of stuff cannot be a desk). We have not had any damage to it, the children have been able to use it when needed for school, but mostly use it spontaneously.