Menu

UGH!!!! do you all agonize over buying Christmas gifts like I Do???

I think, and rethink, and rethink again trying to get just the right combonation of gifts for each kid...trying to figure out what to suggest to the grandparents and the aunts and uncles to get for the kids. At this very moment the thing I am agonizing over is I thought of a GREAT gift for my 7 year old for the grandparents to get...but then I think...oh the other 2 would like that too...so then, do I add that to MY list of gifts so that each kid can have one...or do I just let G & G give it to the one kid? UGH!! Does it REALLY have to be THAT hard???????

You are cracking me up with all of your posts. I'm very much the same way. I usually e-mail back and forth with my husband about 100 times a day during the week and that's what we discuss this time of year. ;)

I crack myself up too...this is so ridiculous!!! So, do I buy 3...or let G&G buy 1??? I would email my husband...but he gets tired of my thousands of emails...so you guys have to put up with me instead...sorry about that.

It really sucks the joy out of Christmas, doesn't it? When did it start that we have to come up with gift ideas for others to give? I don't mind giving a size, likes or dislikes, but I'll be darned if I have to do the thinking as well. I have enough thinking to do without having it to do for others.

Just commiserating with you.

I do the same thing, too. An then I get evil and mad at my relatives for making me help them with gift ideas! What do you get children that seem to already have too much stuff, don't go to ps to know what the "latest" toys are, and still like the same things they have had for the last five years!

But... I still love Christmas!

Yep, we only get the kids 3-4 gifts each, so I over think what will be loved the most every year. My parents and in laws always say they don't want anything, so we are left to figure it out. This year I have discovered Etsy, and I have yet to decide if that is more helpful or is just adding more stress. :lol:

You are cracking me up with all of your posts. I'm very much the same way. I usually e-mail back and forth with my husband about 100 times a day during the week and that's what we discuss this time of year. ;)

LOL. Sometime when it gets close to Christmas my husband asks what we got the kids and I tell him.

I start thinking about it this time of year (and bought the first gift last night) but I don't agonize over it. We ask for lists from the kids with reasonably priced ideas and try to get at least one item they want the most. I send the other ideas onto grandparents and that's about it. Ours don't get a lot from us outside of bdays and Christmas so they're good about saving up ideas.

I don't love holidays. If it ever reaches the point that I'm agonizing over gifts I'm locking myself away until it's over.:blink:

There was one year where I threatened my dh that HE would have to buy every. single. gift. for. everyone. on. our. list. He said "Okay." By December 15th or so, there were no gifts purchased. There had been no thought put into what gifts might be purchased. I got mad, had a little panic-attack, and purchased all of that year's gifts myself. I shouldn't have. I should have followed through. But, gifts from him are from me too & people assume I'm the shopper. So, if Aunt Judy got a package of beef jerky & some glove warmers.....I'd get the weird look. :001_huh:

Ugh. I love this time of year, but there are parts of it that I really don't love. :tongue_smilie:

I think, and rethink, and rethink again trying to get just the right combonation of gifts for each kid...trying to figure out what to suggest to the grandparents and the aunts and uncles to get for the kids. At this very moment the thing I am agonizing over is I thought of a GREAT gift for my 7 year old for the grandparents to get...but then I think...oh the other 2 would like that too...so then, do I add that to MY list of gifts so that each kid can have one...or do I just let G & G give it to the one kid? UGH!! Does it REALLY have to be THAT hard???????

I used to until I realized that by Easter those gifts I agonized over were no longer being played with. :tongue_smilie:

Now I relax so I can enjoy the season.

Ugh! I used to be the worst!! My dc are finally at the age where I've given them a dollar amount and they get to pick ALL their gifts. They're happy, Moms happy, and no returning gifts the day after!! :D I do buy a few extra surprises. ;)

Edited by lahmeh

It really sucks the joy out of Christmas, doesn't it? When did it start that we have to come up with gift ideas for others to give? I don't mind giving a size, likes or dislikes, but I'll be darned if I have to do the thinking as well. I have enough thinking to do without having it to do for others.

Exactly!!!

the problem with that is then we get a whole bunch of things that the kids won't like or play with...then they are disappointed and I am frustrated trying to takie things back without hurting people's feelings...I would much rather give out exact ideas or at least "choose from this list" idea, so we have things we need or that will be enjoyed. I also have a sil who is in NO way able to buy much for the kids for Christmas, but will anyway and then literally not eat for months because she is paying off CC bills...so I NEED to give EXACT ideas for her...then she follows my wishes and doesn't stretch her budget too much.

I used to do this. I was obsessed with making every gift the PERFECT gift. One year recently I just gave up. I was pregnant, and having blood pressure issues, and said I was going to do things differently. The goal became "good enough." I made sure that each gift was something the person would like, but it didn't have to be witty or meaningful or the perfect gift. Just something they would like, and that was good enough. It was SO freeing that I am trying to do that from now on. And honestly, no one noticed that I didn't put so much effort and soul searching into it. It made the holidays SO much nicer.