Menu

OCC - Operation Christmas Child - ???

My children want to add a letter to the Operation Christmas Child boxes that they have filled, but we have a question.

They want to add a self-addressed stamped envelope to each box (along with their letter), but we have no clue how much postage to put on the stamp.

I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks!

I don't think you can. You would need to know what country the box is going to, then have access to postage from that country to put on the envelope

It might also be viewed as sending money, which isn't allowed. We once received a letter back for a box we sent. We wrote back, but didn't hear from the boy again. It was hard to read his address, so we may have copied it wrong.

We were told to not add any postage. We're doing OCC for the first time this year and have both our shoeboxes packed and wrapped and I had the kids draw a picture instead of writing a letter....personally I didn't want them to be disappointed if the child was unable to respond due to postage fee's or what not. They liked drawing a picture. :)

My children want to add a letter to the Operation Christmas Child boxes that they have filled, but we have a question.

They want to add a self-addressed stamped envelope to each box (along with their letter), but we have no clue how much postage to put on the stamp.

What should the recipients do with the SASE?

US postage stamps work only in the US. Most of the packages go to other countries.

My dd added a letter to her box when she was in the 1st grade, and I was very annoyed that she got many many letters from samaritan's purse soliciting monetary donations from her.

Does not have to be from the letter- we got tons of mail, too, simply by filling in the required form when we dropped off the package.

Does not have to be from the letter- we got tons of mail, too, simply by filling in the required form when we dropped off the package.

Yep. I got on their mailing list the year I wrote a check to cover postage. I don't mind. I like to support SP, but that was the only thing I did.

What should the recipients do with the SASE?

US postage stamps work only in the US. Most of the packages go to other countries.

Sorry, that should have been AirMail postage. Adding a US stamp was never a consideration. :D

Based on these few replies, we will skip the envelop because of the cost on their end and the idea that we wanted a thank you note. My children love geography and thought it would be fun to find out where their boxes were delivered, but I know they will understand an appreciate my concerns.

We used to put in those blue, airmail sheets - the ones where you just fold them over, and they were good for airmail. Anyone remember those?

Sadly, the post office doesn't sell them anymore. One year that we did that, we got a neat letter back from India. It was SO interesting!

We have just put letters to the child in the boxes since then, but never gotten a reply.

Hope this helps!

The postage is unlikely to be the biggest problem. I once spent a whole afternoon translating Tajik thank you notes into German to help a friend who was overwhelmed.

If the boxes get to the right children (which they sooo often do!) those children are unlikely to speak and write English or know somebody who could translate for them.