Menu

Who uses more than one math program?

Hi!

We're Right Start users, but we have recently started adding in some Horizons for more structured, independent, skill-practicing work. I'm wondering how others combine programs - getting the best from both, without losing anything from spreading yourself (or the kids) too thin.

I'd love to hear about how others are doubling (or tripling) up and why. What programs mesh well to give that elusive perfect blend? What do you do to maximize benefit without losing sanity?

Thanks for reading this and sharing,

I can't help with anybody doing math without losing sanity ;)

I am currently combining Singapore and BJU math. I had intended to just use Singapore for word problems, but I had all the books from an early attempt to use it as the main program. We do BJU most days. If I feel she is getting rusty in a topic I alternate some singapore for that topic until comes around again in BJU. When she has been doing lots of problems that she feels are getting boring, we add in a day or two of just word problems from Singapore.

I really use both the programs in a highly customized way to meet the needs of my dd. It is not perfect, but it is the best I can do. The sanity went out the window years ago.

For my 2nd grade daughter last year we used both Saxon Math 3 (complete) and Singapore Primary Math US Edition 2A and 2B (workbooks only).

This fall I am planning on using the Singapore Math texts and workbooks 3A and 3B with some of the extra practice books. I'll probably subtitute drills from the free website http://www.math-drills.com/.

I like to have choices and with multiple curriculums it helps you see different ways of presenting the same idea.

A strength of Primary Math was how it presented ideas in an understandable and creative way to kids.

A strength of Saxon is its repetition which kids benefit from in the younger years.

My 12yo is currently doing ACE, Singapore, and Key To books. She's working through all three programs at a couple of pages a day (per series). We're doing this to fill in specific gaps to prepare her for junior high math and science. (We did too much curriculum switching over the years.)

She likes Singapore and Key To, but hates ACE. She does most of it independently, and then we go over any trouble spots that I discover when I check her answers.

We'll soon be working in Ray's Arithmetic, as well.

When at one time I believed in doing as little math as we could get away with... I now believe in doing as MUCH as we can manage. I'll be following the same path with my two younger girls.... more (math) is better. ;) Even if that math comes in the form of games and "living" math... bring it on, sister! :lol:

I haven't decided yet whether we'll move into Saxon or TT next year for junior high and Algebra.

Hi!

We're Right Start users, but we have recently started adding in some Horizons for more structured, independent, skill-practicing work.

I'd love to hear about how others are doubling (or tripling) up and why. What programs mesh well to give that elusive perfect blend?

I think you've got a good combination. I tried it with my dd and the RS didn't work for her but I think Horizons is a very good complement for RS. I used Horizons for written practice and didn't try to teach from the TM. Since it's spiral, fairly short and visually attractive dd liked to do it and could do it without much direction from me. It balances out RS nicely.

Right now, I've started Singapore 1A with ds since he's finished Rod and Staff 1 and I don't want to start 2 until the new school year. It's a nice review with a thinking twist. I personally prefer the way that R&S teaches concepts so we'll only use Singapore as review of stuff ds already knows. I hadn't intended to use Singapore with ds, but when I was looking for something for dd I revisited it and realized it was just what I need for summer for ds.

We did RS A and B (she hit a wall in the middle of it so I went to Saxon 2 for awhile, which we hated... but I digress) I feel RS cannot be beat for the conceptual foundation it lays. But we were NOT good about doing the RS games, which I feel are so necessary for facts practice and cover it very well. So her facts were (and are) VERY weak! Plus I noticed she would know a topic, then they'd go away from it for awhile, and she'd forget it. Also, I felt a little uncomfortable that she wasn't getting enough of the "traditional" things-measurement, graphing, etc.

So midway through B, we added in CLE 1 (starting at LU 106) and it has been perfect. It's mostly a nice spiral review of what we've done in RS, and she can do it all independently. So she gets the wonderful conceptual presentation of topics from RS, and reinforces it with CLE. (We may bail from RS after C because I don't love the looks of D and E. And CLE is my current top choice to switch to, with adding in some MEP math for conceptual practice. I had looked at BJU, trying to be able to do just ONE program, but there will not be enough spiral in it at this time for this child!)

BTW, we did look at Horizons to use as a secondary program, but it used number lines a lot, which as you know, RS frowns on!

We also recently started reading and doing lots of living math stuff, which we are enjoying very much.

I will say that with upcoming ds, we will still do RS A and B, but do LOTS more facts practice, even flash cards! I will definitely add in the CLE with him too.

Hi, I teach from RS and love it, but in the early days (Levels A and B) worried that there wasn't enough written work so I added in SM 1A and part of 1B (we had done Earlybird earlier). I didn't teach from the SM teacher's manual, but DS did a lot (not all) of the problems. I tended to save SM for days when I wouldn't be able to do a lot of one-on-one with RS.

Now that we are in RS Level C, there is enough written work to satisfy me. We are using SM this summer (rest of 1B and half of 2A) for summer school lite, and easy open and go (while he waits for brother's swim lesson, for example).

We also do CWP at odd moments.

Don't know if that helps. Good luck!

"When at one time I believed in doing as little math as we could get away with... I now believe in doing as MUCH as we can manage. "

:iagree:

I love this from Donna A! Key words in my mind being "as we can manage" - this looks different for each kid and parent. Takes a lot of discernment to know what the limits are...to push right up to that point and then stop.

All the responses are great - keep them coming!

Thanks for your help everybody! So many great ideas (esp. - using some of the SM workbooks on difficult days or in the summer)...

Mike -

How do you use RS and MUS together? That's an interesting combination. Do you use one as a primary program? Which levels of each program do you find work well together?

Thanks!

"When at one time I believed in doing as little math as we could get away with... I now believe in doing as MUCH as we can manage. "

:iagree:

I love this from Donna A! Key words in my mind being "as we can manage" - this looks different for each kid and parent. Takes a lot of discernment to know what the limits are...to push right up to that point and then stop.

All the responses are great - keep them coming!

Yes, Sandra, "as we can manage". And I have to confess that my girls happen to enjoy math, which THRILLS me to no end because it was my worst subject growing up AND as a homeschooler. It's only been within the past year and a half or so that we've really started to become "math-friendly", so to speak, and I attribute that to reading Ruth Beechick's books. I finally figured out how teach math! So now we really don't mind it at all.

I can also see the sense in the Latin Centered Curriculum for the math reasoning, if nothing else.

We are using MUS and just added Life of Fred. Sometimes I have him work on problems from the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book.

We used to do just one math program but my son is leaning toward an engineering career, so in my thinking the more math the better.

We do RS and Singapore. I really wanted to do Singapore's WB, EP, IP, and CWP, but DS wilts at the WB and EB, so we just do IP and CWP. :-/

We finish a level of RS and then do a level of Singapore. I don't try to make the align--way too much work! It gives extra drill without feeling too repetitious and gives different outlooks on the same concepts.

We also use the Singapore/Miquon combo. Why?, it just has worked well. I have seen the benefit of coming behind a Singapore unit with the Miquon pages that correspond. It has helped my dd solidify the concepts she is learning.

I think the benefits of using more than one math program are to expose children to different learning approaches to math and to maintain a love for math. If the routine in math gets too monotonous day after day, children can start getting frustrated or bored.

Therefore, I use Miquon (then Singapore) along with Professor B Math, fluency timings, and math games (some come from Right Start).

Thanks for your help everybody! So many great ideas (esp. - using some of the SM workbooks on difficult days or in the summer)...

Mike -

How do you use RS and MUS together? That's an interesting combination. Do you use one as a primary program? Which levels of each program do you find work well together?

Thanks!

Sandra,

I guess we use MUS as the primary program and follow its sequence. The RightStart is great for getting her to visualize the concept and practice it in a fun way. It also provides some great diversion with introducing Roman Numerals and geometric patterns early. The games in RS provide great reinforcement for basic math facts. If you get the game set from them it has 100 or so different games to play. We have favored the card games for addition, multiplication division and subtraction.

We're going through Delta fairly rapidly and I expect we will be on to Epsilon in a month or so. I make her do all of the sheets in the work book as I figure it's better then flash cards. We also do a lot of manipulative so she hopefully is visualizing it also. So to match them up I guess Gamma with C would be appropriate and go backwards from there.

Thinking back on how it went we would use MUS until we hit a snag and then go over to RS to "get" the concept. We also use a program from Grayson Wheatley called "Coming to know number" which required an overhead and some transparency making. It was well worth it for my child individually and for our small co-op. You could use Grayson’s book without the overhead for one child if you had to.

Hope this helps!

We have been doing Saxon for a while with the almost 5yo. He speeds through it so fast that I worry about retention though, and we are adding in Singapore and MUS for enrichment.

LOL, Melinda, if you stay with Saxon, I assure you that he won't have any trouble with retention! ;) Saxon will go over *everything* again and again and.... again. I assume you're doing level K? Or 1? Doesn't matter. He'll get the same stuff a lot more next year. :D

LOL, Melinda, if you stay with Saxon, I assure you that he won't have any trouble with retention! ;) Saxon will go over *everything* again and again and.... again. I assume you're doing level K? Or 1? Doesn't matter. He'll get the same stuff a lot more next year. :D

I know it's very repetitive. I'm probably borrowing trouble, but I just worry that going through levels K and 1 at 4 years old that he's not going to remember any of it. Maybe the real answer is that I need to stop using it altogether and use something else as our core program in math. I have no idea. :confused:

I use Singapore as my primary program. I either add in some of their extra practice workbooks, or use other things to target areas I want to emphasize. Right now, I'm using MUS to cement multiplication and division with my younger son. Later, I will add in some of the Keys to... series.