Menu

Okies - Earthquake(s)!

Yep, I felt it and knew it was not as big as the 5.6 we had the other night but I thought it was significant. 4.7 sounds about right to me. My 6YO ds came running downstairs, scared to death. My other 6YO ds slept through it all.

Okay, this is so weird. I've been paying attention to the earthquake news and tonight I felt slight movement. I'm sitting in my office chair and it was really slight. Here's the thing, I'm in NW Missouri. At first I thought it was just a weird thing, maybe the dog scratching vibrating the desk. She was asleep.I thought maybe I was dizzy, so I put my hands on the desk and could feel the chair oh so slightly. It lasted about 20 seconds max and was gone.

My first thought was what it that was an earthquake. It was 8:49, just three minutes after the recorded time. Could I really have felt it this far? We're just north of Kansas City, should I report it on the USGS site? I even checked the site right after it happened to see if any had happened today.

:svengo: :001_huh:

EL, last night they were interviewing folks in the Northland who felt yesterday's quakes. Did you feel any of the previous ones?

I have not felt any of them, but neighbors have. Only slightly, of course. I have been in noisy activities this weekend and tonight there was a thunderstorm going at the time of the quake, so I would have mistaken it for thunder. I was having a cooking night so lots of pots n pans rattling, too.

Is there any word from the scientific community to shed light on any of this? I feel for you Okies, it must be truly nerve-wracking.

I read people felt the one the other day in surrounding states. Is there some kind of fault line that connects you?

I don't know where the fault line runs, but I read the report responses. There are plenty from our area, so I reported it. Totally freaky, I've never felt an earthquake before. Cross that one off the bucket list now. :tongue_smilie:

Hope everyone is okay and that that's the last of it for a while.

Okay, this is so weird. I've been paying attention to the earthquake news and tonight I felt slight movement. I'm sitting in my office chair and it was really slight. Here's the thing, I'm in NW Missouri. At first I thought it was just a weird thing, maybe the dog scratching vibrating the desk. She was asleep.I thought maybe I was dizzy, so I put my hands on the desk and could feel the chair oh so slightly. It lasted about 20 seconds max and was gone.

My first thought was what it that was an earthquake. It was 8:49, just three minutes after the recorded time. Could I really have felt it this far? We're just north of Kansas City, should I report it on the USGS site? I even checked the site right after it happened to see if any had happened today.

Funny, I was sitting up in bed talking to my mom on the phone ,and I felt the back of my head vibrate against the headboard of the bed. I was like, wow, that must be one big truck driving by to rattle the walls like that. Earthquake briefly crossed my mind, but not really. I just saw it on the news and put two and two together when I heard what time the quake was. On top of that there were tornadoes!!!

EL, last night they were interviewing folks in the Northland who felt yesterday's quakes. Did you feel any of the previous ones?

I have not felt any of them, but neighbors have. Only slightly, of course. I have been in noisy activities this weekend and tonight there was a thunderstorm going at the time of the quake, so I would have mistaken it for thunder. I was having a cooking night so lots of pots n pans rattling, too.

Is there any word from the scientific community to shed light on any of this? I feel for you Okies, it must be truly nerve-wracking.

I felt this one, too, as well as the 'big' one the other night. DH has felt all of the earthquakes over 4.0; I slept through the first one. There is a fault line that runs right under the area where these are originating. It's called the Wilzetta Fault and it's near an area called the Seminole Uplift. I guess it hasn't been active for some time and experts are saying this has probably been a one-off event, but even so... for folks who aren't used to earthquakes (we're much more used to looking UP for hazards, not down), it's been unnerving.

No, I didn't, not that I know. It's raining here but no thunder.

We used to log in Warrensburg, MO. Some of our friends there felt the one last night. They felt it as far St. Louis.

Yes. I felt this one too. We were just getting ready to leave after a Boy Scout meeting tonight when we started hearing the windows rattle. It really is weird for most of us Okies. We just aren't used to feeling the earth shaking under us. Now above us? That's something we are all probably used to around here. We just had several tornadoes today. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know about you guys but between the earthquakes and the storms, I'm ready for things to quiet down.