Menu

Does anyone know why?

Doea anyone know why the store brand of Benydryl is $7 for 15 tablets, but the Save-a-lot brand of Benydryl is like 1.99 for 15 tablets? On the box the both list the same ingredients. We use a lot of Benydryl for the eight of us at times, and I would really like to pay 1.99 instead of 7, but haven't brought myself to do it, I guess I figure if it is meant to be that cheap, it would be around that price at other stores.

Any ideas?

I don't know why the prices are different but if the listed ingredients are the same I'd probably try it. If you don't like it switch back to the other. I know a lot of people buy their drugs online from other countries due to cost. Maybe it's manufactured somewhere cheaper?

Any non-brand name Diphenhydramine is usually going to be really cheap. Even the brand Benedryl is usually cheaper than that around here. Benedryl has been around for a very long time so there are a ton of generic "brands" available and prices can vary but that $7.00 is some serious price gouging. Was it an extended release formula or some other variation to explain the price difference? Benedryl is not expensive to make and I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a generic rather than the brand. I take Benedryl every day for my allergies.

Costco's diphenhydramine is $3.21 for a bottle of 400. And it doesn't come in those **** blister packs. (Because the last thing you need in anaphylactic shock is a freaking blister pack.)

Those things are like a Mensa challenge. I don't need that with a runny nose, forget about with shock setting in! On the upside, I bet once you gouge your way in, the tablets are all pre-pulverized for easier absorption. ;)

Costco's diphenhydramine is $3.21 for a bottle of 400. And it doesn't come in those **** blister packs. (Because the last thing you need in anaphylactic shock is a freaking blister pack.)

We get a similar price from Sam's. And it works. And again, no blister packs :D

I have noticed recently that my regular grocery store is only selling the blister packs of both the brand and the generic. So the biggest package only has 24 pills. That wouldn't last me long at all so I've had to make a special trip to a pharmacy to get bottles. We ended our warehouse club membership when we stopped needing diapers. :glare:

Any non-brand name Diphenhydramine is usually going to be really cheap.

Benedryl is not expensive to make and I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a generic rather than the brand. I take Benedryl every day for my allergies.

1) the generic name is long, and there are plenty of OTC drug buyers who can't read it. PLENTY.

2) Many people suspect generics. I know plenty (that is that word again) who pay extra to get name brand meds. They swear up and down the generics don't work or upset their tummies.

3) Its the American way. Eating far from home? Grandma's diner isn't familiar, but Jack in the Box is. Even our clothes has our labels on the outside, so furious is our race to be typical.

I got chewed out by a pharmacist once for mentioning how irritating those blister packs are. I said they were very inconvenient when I was in the middle of an allergic sneezing fit - especially at night when I wasn't thinking with the clearest head. He laid into me big time about how they were meant to be a safeguard so children didn't swallow handfuls at a time. Nice.:glare:

I got chewed out by a pharmacist once for mentioning how irritating those blister packs are. I said they were very inconvenient when I was in the middle of an allergic sneezing fit - especially at night when I wasn't thinking with the clearest head. He laid into me big time about how they were meant to be a safeguard so children didn't swallow handfuls at a time. Nice.:glare:

Yes, because it's better when you finally pry the stinking thing out and it goes flying across the room, rolling under the furniture, where it is later found by said child and eaten. :glare: