Menu

Periodontal disease. Any home remedies? Tell me what to do.

Last visit to the dentist I was told I needed special cleaning and possibly antibiotics injected into my gums because I have periodontal disease. Even with our dental insurance the cost will run between $250-$365 for each side of my mouth (depending on how many antibiotic injections are needed). I have an appt. for 11/2 for the right side of my mouth.

To pay for this appt. we are going to buy very little at the grocery store this pay period and eat mainly from the pantry. We were very blessed these past two weeks to have been given some food from two events (a bridal shower and hayride) so still have hamburger and chicken that will get us through.:)

But that doesn't leave anything for the next appt for the left side of my mouth and I will need to buy more groceries then, I'm sure.

I'm starting to think I should just skip the appts altogether and try to fix the problem myself. I have been brushing, flossing and rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide rinse several times a day now.

My question is, should I make this a priority and just deal with the cost somehow or another or is it possible to deal with this without spending so much money. After the periodontal cleanings I need a couple of fillings as well - actually two of my old fillings have deteriorated and need replacing. I have been experiencing some pain and sensitivity to cold/heat but nothing I can't live with.

Any ideas? I'm running out the door to the grocery store and will check back later to read replies. Thanks!

If you have health insurance, check your coverage for drugs - you may be covered for antibiotics used in dental treatment since they're considered (by some policies) to be for systemic use, though injected in your mouth.

You might also want to give a ring to your GP if you have one to discuss oral antibiotics instead of the injected antibiotics. You could consider that an option IF you have the cleaning (planing, debridement) done and have cleared the plaque and bacteria issues and want to work on ensuring the remaining bacteria go away too (that's what the injections are for and injecting is NOT necessary - systemic oral antibiotics can and will do the same thing for much less money).

Definitely get a 2nd opinion. This is a treatment that is one of the biggest dental scams out there. Yes, sometimes it is needed, but it often isn't.

:iagree: My husband heard this from one dentist. Another dentist said his gums weren't in the best shape, but to get a water pik. The water pik has been working great for him. We have a sonicare toothbrush too.

Edited by kck

Same here. My husband was told he had all sorts of expensive issues. I insisted he get a second opinion. The second guy said he has perfect teeth and gums. My husband has been seeing him for awhile now and still no major problems.

Yes, all the other dentists after him are amazed at his great teeth and gums.

Get that second opinion, but you may need the surgery. My dh just had this surgery after being told the same thing by four dentists, one of them being a close personal friend.

We just could not afford it, so we applied for CareCredit and have six months to pay it off with no interest. Maybe your periodontist's office has something similar?

Hope you don't actually need it!

My dh was able to turn around his gum issues by using a baking soda and salt paste to brush with. He did one visit with the periodontist (expensive!) who recommended even more drastic measures the next time around. He didn't go back, but started using a mixture of 3 parts baking soda to one part salt to brush with (and he doesn't do it nearly as consistently as he should, but did to begin with) and his subsequent visits to our regular dentist have shown improvement in the numbers they use to measure the receding of the gums, and our dentist hasn't told him he needs to see the periodontist again.

This is the site I found the info at - click on The Secret on the side:

http://www.saveyourteeth.com/

And if this is a dentist you trust, ask about oral antibiotics. it is a pain because you have to commit to taking them three times a day for weeks and weeks.

My husband had to do that. We trust the dentist, btw. They tried many things to reduce his gum disease and finally he was put on antibiotics. It was a disaster. He just could NOT remember to take them three times a day every day.

But then, unluckily, he got lyme disease. Same treatment, antibiotics several times a day for weeks. It was cheap antibiotics, btw. It wasn't an expensive new drug or anything. He was feeling pretty sick with the lyme so he had a big reason to take the antibiotics. He didn't forget this time. Guess what? His gum disease was also cured. That was almost 10 years ago and he has been able to keep on top of it since then. He flosses every single day, brushes etc.

I think dentists like the injectable antibiotics because it is easy to know it got used. With the oral antibiotics there is prob a low patient compliance issue. But, oral antibiotics are much cheaper and might be covered by insurance. You will just have to address the compliance issue. Tell the dentist you can afford oral antibiotics (if you can) and that you will be very compliant. Tell him/her that you would like to try that route first before going to injectable.

I learned about oil pulling from this board, and was amazed at how much my gums improved after doing it for a month.

I would definitely get a second opinion. And I would start oil pulling immediately. Unless there is an urgent need, I might give the oil pulling a try first. But one way or the other, you do need to get your gums in shape, or you will likely have a much more expensive problem later on. :grouphug:

Edited by Perry

I concur with a second opinion.

I also have periodontal disease and did actually need the deep cleanings, but the dentist then gave me an oral antibiotic rinse that I use twice a day and my gums are considerably healthier now. The oral antibiotic was only about $17.

Also, my deep cleanings only run me about $135 per side, so the amount they quoted you seems steep to me. I realize that dental coverage varies, too, but you may even be able to get a better price (if you do, in fact, need the deep cleanings) from another provider.

Good luck!

I learned about oil pulling from this board, and was amazed at how much my gums improved after doing it for a month.

I would definitely get a second opinion. And I would start oil pulling immediately. Unless their is an urgent need, I might give the oil pulling a try first. But one way or the other, you do need to get your gums in shape, or you will likely have a much more expensive problem later on. :grouphug:

I had good luck with oil pulling as well. I did this during pregnancy when I had problems with my gums. Worked really well, very cheap and easy. Sounds crazy but it really did work. My teeth ended up very white, as a bonus. I also have use a waterpik.

I agree with getting a second opinion, but if you really do have periodontal disease, it's something that needs treatment because the infection that arises can affect other organs in your body, like your heart, I believe I have read. I don't think it's something to try to fix on your own, because assuming you already have good dental hygiene, you've already done all you could do. :grouphug:

Yes, periodontal disease increases your risk of heart attack. It's the bacteria in the gums that travel to the arteries and contribute to them being clogged up. so don't mess around with it if you get a second opinion confirming it.

Meanwhile, you can brush with baking soda/salt mixture and gargle/swish with a mixture of warm salt water and hydrogen peroxide. Floss/brush/swish before bed and no eating/drinking anything but water afterward.

I'm back! Thanks everyone for the replies - looks like I'm going to get a second opinion. This is a dentist I've gone to for years, but I've really never cared for them. I do see the same dentist every time and she is very nice, but there's just something about the place that makes me feel like they're pushing people through like cattle.

I'll take a look at that oil pulling thing after everyone leaves for choir practice - it's crazy right now.

hi kathleen -

this is what they say to dh and i every time we go in.

what works for us: once every two years we pay for the deep cleaning.

we don't ever pay for the antibiotics. there is a link between gum disease and cardiovascular health, so this is our middle ground.

we find two weeks of flossing and using listerine and the sonic care toothbrush and the water pick brings us back to the point where they won't say we need the deep cleaning or the antibiotics.

of course, ymmv....

so just last friday they said this to me, i had the deep cleaning and said "no" to the antibiotics.

hth,

ann

I just looked at the estimate they gave me and they did say the antibiotics were optional. They said that I may need up to four (which accounts for the variance in the price). Each dose costs $65 and they said they might need to do 4 doses. The actual cleaning will cost me $102 after insurance. So I think I'm going to call my gp and ask her if she will prescribe some oral antibiotics and just do the cleaning part of the dentist visit.

Ds23 is stopping by the store to buy some sunflower oil so I can do the oil pulling - can't hurt! And he is also going to look for some SLS-free toothpaste as well. If he can't find it I will use the baking soda/salt paste instead.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me out here. I just knew there had to be a better way to deal with this - a way I could actually afford. You are all wonderful for taking the time to answer my question.

Update:

Well, I went to the dentist and had the scraping thing done. I was planning on just having that done, so I brought up the idea of taking oral antibiotics to the hygienist. She mentioned that some people get yeast infections from taking them and that's when I remembered that I've had that happen before - not fun. She was extremely sweet and very understanding about my financial situation. After measuring the pockets, she said I needed two doses which I which I already suspected based on the tenderness/pain I felt when she was cleaning those two spots. But, she only charged me for one injection so the total came to $165, not $365. I have to go back on the 22nd for the left side of my mouth and hopefully I won't need anything but the scraping.

The hygienist also showed me how to floss again and I learned that I've been doing it the wrong way my entire life. She demonstrated how to get the floss below the gum line next to the tooth which I never even realized you could do. I always just pulled it between my teeth above the gum line. No wonder my gums are a mess. Anyway, now I know.

I bought the sunflower oil and am also trying out the oil pulling thing. It will be interesting to see how that works - it'd be great if it whitened my teeth too.:)

Thanks for all the advice - I appreciate your input.