Menu

What to make for guests for breakfast??

I have 2-3 moms coming over for coffee and breakfast in the morning. We rotate houses and this is the first time at my house. The other two moms did (refrigerated can) cinnamon rolls, and (store bought) doughnuts. I'd like to do something semi-homemade (ie using refrigerated dough as an ingredient is fine, but not open & bake only). I don't really want to do eggs or anything savory. I'm thinking something sweet.

I have a little bit of time tonight to prep something if need be, and I'll have maybe 30 min in the morning to finish/prep/throw something in the oven if I need to. I can run to the store tonight quick if I need to, but don't have much to spend.

So.....what do I make??? I want to impress :)

I should also mention that we have our DC's preschool costume parade in the morning. I will likely leave my house at 8:30am and not return until 9:20am or so....at which point the other moms will be with me. I'd prefer to have the food ready to eat right then rather than having to cook once they're here.

My favorite guest breakfast is German Pancakes with sliced strawberries.

1 c. milk

1 c. flour

6 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsps. butter (melted into the bottom of a 9x13" pan)

Mix the first four ingredients in a blender, pour into the pan with the melted butter and bake for approx. 20 min. at 400 degrees. They will puff up and become huge.

I serve them with Buttermilk Syrup - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/German-Pancake

I don't use corn syrup in the syrup recipe and it turns out fine. Use a *large* soup pan (especially if you decide to double the recipe) when you make the syrup though. As the baking soda reacts with the buttermilk when it is heating it starts to grow. Cleaning up butter/sugar/milk that has overrun all over the stove is not fun. don't ask me how I know...:lol:

Oh...I have another recipe for a baked french toast that uses sourdough bread that is AH-mazing. You mix it up the night before and bake in the morning. It's is sinful and divine.

This peach braid is yummy, too! http://www.food.com/recipe/peach-braid-374974

1 c. milk

1 c. flour

6 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the first four ingredients in a blender, pour into the pan with the melted butter and bake for approx. 20 min. at 400 degrees. They will puff up and become huge.

You just made my Saturday morning pancake ritual a whole lot easier - I use the same basic recipe (but no salt, but a bit of baking powder - and nutmeg for flavour), but it didn't occur to me to just throw it in the oven. Very timesaving!!! Thank you!

Here's my best coffee cake recipe, it's simply delicious!

Mix together nut topping and set aside:

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Cream batter together:

• 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Stir into batter mixture:

• 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp orange zest

Spoon 1/2 batter into greased 9" square pan (or pampered chef deep dish stone if you have it)/ Top with half of nut topping. Repeat layers. Bake at 375 degrees until done (45-55 minutes or so).

This is excellent served with OJ. Enjoy! :)

I would serve scones (which can be baked the night before or quickly baked fresh in the morning), scrambled eggs with slivered spinach and diced tomato and sliced melon or pears. You can easily make two kinds of scones, a sweet and a savory.

One of my biggest hits for scones was a parmesan-basil scone. I just took a cream scone recipe and added fresh grated parmesan and some slivered basil, served with fresh sliced tomatoes.

Cat

1 c. milk

1 c. flour

6 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

I serve them with Buttermilk Syrup - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/German-Pancake

I don't use corn syrup in the syrup recipe and it turns out fine. Use a *large* soup pan (especially if you decide to double the recipe) when you make the syrup though. As the baking soda reacts with the buttermilk when it is heating it starts to grow. Cleaning up butter/sugar/milk that has overrun all over the stove is not fun. don't ask me how I know...:lol:

Oh...I have another recipe for a baked french toast that uses sourdough bread that is AH-mazing. You mix it up the night before and bake in the morning. It's is sinful and divine.

This peach braid is yummy, too! http://www.food.com/recipe/peach-braid-374974

Yum! I love this! I've only made it from a mix, maybe I'll try this recipe. :)

OP - You probably have chosen already but another option is french toast in the oven. We make something similar to this every Christmas.

I have so many things written down for future use! THANK YOU!!

I ended up taking the easy way out (I really didn't want to....shame on me) and bought THIS. Next time I will be more prepared :)

I love that mix!!! I know you said you don't like blueberries, but blueberry French toast is amazing! I don't like blueberries either. But I love this. You could probably substitute a different berry.

Maybe for future use....