Menu

goodie bags to be handed out at church

Every year at Christmas, a goodie bag is handed out to all of the members. The contents are about candy and a piece of fruit. So by the time we get 3 bags we have WAY too much candy. So this year we are donating the contents. I know I want to put peanuts in the shell and a piece or two of fruit. But I don't know what else. It needs to be something that isn't too expensive...any thoughts as to what I could do. We will be filling about 75 bags. thanks.

Every year at Christmas, a goodie bag is handed out to all of the members. The contents are about candy and a piece of fruit. So by the time we get 3 bags we have WAY too much candy. So this year we are donating the contents. I know I want to put peanuts in the shell and a piece or two of fruit. But I don't know what else. It needs to be something that isn't too expensive...any thoughts as to what I could do. We will be filling about 75 bags. thanks.

My MIL's church does this. It's fruit (usually an orange), peanuts, and a few pieces of "old-lady" candy. :lol:

I'm not sure what else I would put in the bag. Maybe those baby boxes of raisins?

How about holiday stickers and pencils? Our local Dollar Tree carries things like that. Oriental Trading might also be a good place to look. I agree with losing the peanuts due to possible allergies (unless you know for sure it is not an issue).

What is Old Lady Candy?

for us it's the Brach's neopolitan chews, jelly or mint nougats, sugar-coated citrus shapes, peanut butter taffy, milk maids, and the strawberry hard candy.

Oh, now see, I was thinking of that ribbon candy that comes all piled into a canister. Ick! But your Old Lady Candy is mostly stuff I like. Uh, I guess it's because I'm an Old Lady. :lol: So does that make ribbon candy Really Old Lady Candy? :tongue_smilie:

That could be included. I don't think it was in the batches we received.

I like old lady candy, too. I call it that because both my Grandmas had a small bowl of those candies setting out when we visited. The jelly nougats were always the last ones left.:ack2: I didn't like those.

Ours were always a piece or two of fruit (apple or orange, maybe both), some mixed nuts in the shell and one full-sized candy bar (usually 3 Musketeers or such).

Is there an age range for this? For general kids (above preschool): erasers, little packs of miniature playing cards. a small craft kit, little notepads, stickers, individually wrapped cookies/gingerbread/brownie muffin, keychains, glow bracelets (should be easy to find this week ;)), slap bracelets, change (tie up some pennies in a bit of tulle with a ribbon), the little puzzles where you try to get the ball bearing in the hole.

Hit the after Halloween sales and see if any of the small toys may be appropriate but just packed in Halloween outer wrappers---I bought miniature card games and puzzles that way one year. Nothing about Halloween on the individual games, just on the bag in which they were wrapped. Many of the above things are currently in the Oriental Trading sale Christmas section. If you sign up for their email, you usually get a coupon or code for free shipping if you spend a certain amount.

I wonder when this practice started and if it's more common in certain regions or in certain denominations, maybe certain size churches? I was raised in a very small Presbyterian church in a small Southern and we did it, but my husband was raised Lutheran, mostly above the Mason-Dixon and mostly larger churches in fairly urban areas---he never got these as a kid. My guess is that it may go back to the Depression, maybe earlier.

I was thinking along the lines of pencils or something like that too. At dance class last year all of the kids got bags, and their was an inexpensive snowman tree ornament in it... bought in bulk from a party supply no doubt.

Oriental Trading Co sells stuff like that in bulk and it's usually very inexpensive.

Our church puts crayons and coloring sheets in a bag with a sandwich bag full of some sort of snack cracker - goldfish, teddy grahams, etc.

As the parent of a child with peanut allergies, I have to say it is risky to put peanuts in any of the bags due to accidental cross contamination. Our church isn't particularly big, per se, but it is a peanut free zone and I really appreciate that I can feel "safe" there with my dd with peanut/nut allergies. :001_smile: