Menu

When you see a Hollywood-produced movie based on a true story,

Not very. I'd expect the same names and the same time period but that's about it.

:iagree: Though I might not expect the real names, depending on the story. I would expect a gist of it. Some bit of truth. But I would also expect there to be people condensed into a single character, tension or romance added, real world complexities removed, and probably one side of the story.

Is it "based on a true story" or "inspired by a true story"? I would expect the former to be more accurate than the latter (even if it only shows one side of the story and/or fictionalizes some of the details).

I agree. "Based on" would, to me, imply a closer to reality story line (but still not documentary) than "inspired by". The latter implies a fictional story line based on a concept, eg Law and Order. The former implies that the story is largely the same, with areas where cinimatic license has been taken to enhance the telling.

Even documentaries are often limited to a single perspective, though.

not very, they tend to take LOTS of license, so I generally don't bother watching.

I will admit, I watched the commentary on Apollo 13, and some of the other astronauts were commenting just how accurate it was. (except lovell, haise, and swagert never snipped at each other). there was still some license. (I also read lovell's book. I'd have loved to have seen the "bill for towing" some grummun engineer wrote up to relieve stress.)

It depends.

I just found out that the Exorcist was based on a 1940s case of a Protestant boy in the St Louis area (not an agnostic girl in Washington D.C. in the 1960s) -- although it was the Jesuit priests who did the exorcism, so that was correct.

I think they all have the "basic yarn".

a

We know it varies wildly, so we tend to always look it up using Google after we watch a movie we like. Then we get the "real" story and find out just how fake the movie really was (or wasn't).

The most annoying one that comes to mind was the one on the Jamaican Bobsled Team (name escapes me this morning) as that could have been a neat story told truthfully. I seem to recall that the only truthful part to it was that there was a new Jamaican bobsled team.

The dogs left down in Antarctica was a bit off too, but that was understandable since showing the true ending of most of the dogs starving to death would hardly make it a suitable story for most kids.

Learning the true story of Balto was very informative (and different).

There are many we've looked up - from The Sound of Music on.