Menu

Would you start a 7 yo boy on guitar?

I am not musically inclined at all. Ds (7) has never taken any lessons, but for the past several months he has been talking about wanting to play the guitar. Now that we are getting closer to Christmas, he even has a guitar on his Wish List. I know nothing about playing guitar and I have no idea if this is an appropriate instrument for a 7yo boy. What says the Hive?

With a good guitar teacher who is comfortable teaching younger children, guitar can work well-like all strings, it can be scaled to fit the child. I'd suggest NOT getting a First Act or other toy shop guitar-these tend to be ISOs (instrument shaped objects) and to not hold tuning well at all. I'd also suggest nylon strings because they're easier on beginner fingers. Suzuki guitar starts at age 3-4, so 7 is certainly do-able :).

I would suggest looking for a guitar teacher who teaches note reading (eventually-if you get a Suzuki teacher, they're going to teach auditorally first) and chord structure, not just playing from chord changes and tablature, although all guitarists should eventually be able to read tab as well as standard notation.

Yes!

My 8 y.o. just started guitar, and he loves it. He practices 2-3 times a day without being asked.

I would recommend three strategies for success:

• A child-sized guitar. My ds was insistent that he play mine, but it was just plain too big for him. He plays a 3/4-size that's still a tad big but he can play it easily enough and he's got room to grow.
  • A teacher experienced with teaching young kids.
  • Help him practice. The teacher should show you the basics and let you watch lessons, enough that you can coach your ds a little. You don't have to play, you just need to know what he's supposed to practice until he's got the basics down and can practice on his own. :)

Cat

Yes!

If there is a Suzuki teacher in your area, I highly recommend it!

My ds lllloooves guitar. Itbhas been a great thing for him.

I suggest classical if possible. It is truly beautiful, and he can very easily learn other styles latr if desired. Going the other direction is very difficult, as classical is much more challenging on many levels.

Sounds like some have had a good experience starting young - with no prior music experience - but here's another side:

My dd17 - started taking guitar lessons at 12, she had been taking piano for 3 years prior to this.

Her guitar teacher (hsing mom) said she prefered kids had piano prior to taking guitar lessons.

She felt if was better if they were not having to learn how to read music in addition to hand placement on the strings, especially if they were young. Sometimes it was too much to process and they became discouraged and quit.

Obviously, there are methods and teachers equipped to teach young children guitar - this is just her perspective and I tend to agree.

My dd caught on quickly and excelled with the guitar and I think alot of that had to do with her piano background.

Just a thought!