Menu

New, Looking For Curric

faiths13

Hi : ) I am new here and to Classical Education. My oldest ds is in 7th grade this year. We were in K12, but it wasnt working for him at all, so I pulled him out. We are doing SOTW for history and he likes it alot. We did it last year and I didnt realize that it was CE or really didnt know much about that. The more I have read about it the more I think it would be perfect for my son (possibly for my other ds as well).

So my questions are what can I companion with SOTW 2, what are some good recs for LA, math and science? It cannot be religious because I am using a charter right now and they wont pay for anything that has religious stuff in it. I have looked into Math Mammoth, which looks great. Any other recs? My son struggles in math. I have also looked into LLATL and it looks really neat. My son has struggled through school for many years and I really think that a natural approach to learning would be a great change for him. He loves to read!

Thanks so much! :001_smile:

UPDATE: OK I figured this much out and Im hoping this will help give enough information to narrow it down on choices. My son learns best with 1 on 1 help. Once he gets a little of that he seems to really get it and do it on his own. I dont have a ton of time to give him 1 on 1 (i have 4 kids at home) so something that has easy to understand instructions so he can understand it easily or so i can understand it easily to help him get started. Nothing too teacher intensive. Also, he seems to do well with things that seem fun. Nothing text book ish or with tons of reading, unless its written like a story. That he likes. Also he needs one than one lesson of practice. If he is to learn something and do it once, then move on, he wont remember it. He needs to practice it several more times for it to stick.. But not overkill. He also has only had one year of science - 6th grade at homeAny help you can give me to narrow down my choices would be very appreciated! I am so overwhelmed by all the choices right now!

Edited by faiths13

For math, Singapore might be good, or you can try Professor B to catch him up. It depends on where he is, mathematically. Math Mammoth works here, and there is also MEP, which requires a lot of logic and thought.

For science, if you want to do chemistry, there's Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry, she also has units on cells and the brain, and a number of free downloads for other areas of science. Galore Park and Oak Meadow are secular and sell their science separately from other subjects.

For English, he might like Moving Beyond the Page, it's secular and uses mostly novels for teaching.

my son has big gaps in his knowledge of math. He needs to go back and learn basics such as time, money and other elementary concepts. I have him working on multiplication because he hasnt memorized it yet. I have seen Singapore and didnt like it. We have tried quite a few math programs that havent worked. He liked MUS alot, but it doesnt cover all the things I need him to do.

Also, another question, maybe you mamas can help me with. How does it work to jump into classical training at this late age? I mean, do you think it will work? I am excited to have found out about this and hoping to start with my younger two on this method.

Have you read the Well-Trained Mind yet? There are a lot of curriculum suggestions in there and tips about starting classical education in the middle grades.

Secular stuff that's worked for us: Galore Park (Science and English), SOTW and History Odyssesy, Singapore and Math Mammoth.

Thanks!

I am getting really frustrated. I was reading excerpts from TWTM and the recs are mostly religious - which I cannot use. I have also done searching on my own and it seems like everything is religious. The charter we are with wont pay for those materials. Sigh

Look at Teaching Textbooks for Math. They have a sample your son can try online. My son loves it. He is younger, but we have fun with it.

Writing with Style and Advanced Language Lessons are for anyone starting the program from 5th grade onwards. The great thing is that since it is the first year and the book isn't ready you can download a big chunk for free and see if it works for you. It is in the middle years sub forum. (thats grammar and writing)

Another option for Language arts is Michael Clay Thompson's series. I believe those are secular.

Check into History Oydessy (again i think it is secular)

Someone else mentioned Galore Park. We have their Latin books, and are thinking of adding another subject from them next year.

Tell me more is a foreign language series similar to Rosetta Stone, but much less expensive.

Best of luck, I hope some of those help

K12 is a pretty classical ed, so you might be able to use some of those materials (stuff you didn't return) or reading lists. What didn't work for you? THere are a lot of ex-K12'ers here, so if you say what you liked and didn't like about K12 that might help folks offer better recommendations. :D

What style of learner is your son? Does he need to see stuff to get it, or demo it with objects? PS is designed for auditory (sit and listen) learners, so most struggling kids have different learning styles. Knowing that will help pick materials.

You might get the Math Mammoth sample -- it might be good to work thru some of the subject workbooks (materials are organized by grade in the "light blue series" and by topic in the "dark blue series"). For example, "Fractions" will cover fractions from 1st thru 6th grade level in one workbook.

There are some really good options for secular science. I like REAL Science Odyssey by Pandia Press, but that's a bit younger. They are supposed to release Biology Level 2 this year, which would be for middle school level.

Two more options for science are CPO (written for public schools), which you can view the student books here:

http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/node/52

...but my current favorite for that age is Story of Science by Joy Hakim (books published by Smithsonian, John Hopkins U developed workbooks of experiments and student pages to go along with it). SoS is a 3 year program covering science chronologically rather than by subject. You could flesh it out to match history and science and teach them more or less together. :) If you search

this forum there is a discussion about how the publisher will let homeschoolers buy the books half price, so I got a complete set for $100 (free shipping, too) and that's for 3 years of stuff I can reuse with my 3 kids. SCORE! LOL

If he's interested in chemistry, check out:

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Pandia also make History Odyssey, your ds would be in level 2 I think, but it's more a guide IMO rather than full curriculum. MOSAIC is a free secular history curriculum. K12's History textbooks are well regarded as well, and you can buy them used for around $25 each if you liked that part of K12.

I can't offer much help with LA for that age, but good luck! I found it easiest to research one subject at a time, going from most important (to me) down. I also kept track of 1-2 backup options. When I found something I liked, I'd think about how it would fit with what I'd already selected.

It's also ok to not hit everything at once. It's ok to do madlibs for grammar for a while and just read and discuss great books for lit, journal for writing. Maybe do that while he gets on track with math and science/history, if those are fun and what you pick first. Then you can work in more formal LA materials to suit his needs.

AGain, good luck and take it day by day.

It sounds like RightStart Level C might be a good fit for your son, since it covers a lot of the basic math, telling time, multiplication, etc. It's a math program that's very hands-on, which is usually an advantage for kids who struggle with math.

For language arts, I agree with a previous poster who recommended First Language Lessons (grammar) and Writing With Ease (writing and narration training). Those can be found here.

What kind of science did you have in mind? Traditionally, earth science and astronomy are taught in conjunction with SOTW 2. One secular option is Elemental Science. Aside from having to get the supplemental books from the library or Amazon, everything is laid out for you -- worksheets, simple experiments, fun projects, etc.

my son has big gaps in his knowledge of math. He needs to go back and learn basics such as time, money and other elementary concepts. I have him working on multiplication because he hasnt memorized it yet. I have seen Singapore and didnt like it. We have tried quite a few math programs that havent worked. He liked MUS alot, but it doesnt cover all the things I need him to do.

If you would like to lay a good foundation in math, you might consider Right Start Math.

One secular option is Elemental Science. Aside from having to get the supplemental books from the library or Amazon, everything is laid out for you -- worksheets, simple experiments, fun projects, etc.

Elemental Science looks like a good program, but you need to keep in mind that it is self-proclaimed nonsectarian, not strictly secular.

It's usually less of an issue in grammar/logic stages (aside from earth sciences where age of earth is a key issue). On their website they say they *plan* to present ID in their rhetoric levels (alongside evolution, rhetoric is not out yet). To date, the courts have rules teaching ID is a violation of separation of church and state (ID was ruled thinly vieled creationism hence religion, not science). NOT trying to start a debate here, just pointing out that ES is NOT secular, doesn't claim to be, and you would need to check if your charter school would pay for it/allow it.

On that note -

Keep in mind that SOTW is not strictly secular, nor are SWB's other curricula that I see recommended (FLL, WWE). Peace Hill Press is not a secular publisher.

Elemental Science looks like a good program, but you need to keep in mind that it is self-proclaimed nonsectarian, not strictly secular.

It's usually less of an issue in grammar/logic stages (aside from earth sciences where age of earth is a key issue). On their website they say they *plan* to present ID in their rhetoric levels (alongside evolution, rhetoric is not out yet). To date, the courts have rules teaching ID is a violation of separation of church and state (ID was ruled thinly vieled creationism hence religion, not science). NOT trying to start a debate here, just pointing out that ES is NOT secular, doesn't claim to be, and you would need to check if your charter school would pay for it/allow it.

K12 is a pretty classical ed, so you might be able to use some of those materials (stuff you didn't return) or reading lists. What didn't work for you? THere are a lot of ex-K12'ers here, so if you say what you liked and didn't like about K12 that might help folks offer better recommendations. :D

What style of learner is your son? Does he need to see stuff to get it, or demo it with objects? PS is designed for auditory (sit and listen) learners, so most struggling kids have different learning styles. Knowing that will help pick materials.

You might get the Math Mammoth sample -- it might be good to work thru some of the subject workbooks (materials are organized by grade in the "light blue series" and by topic in the "dark blue series"). For example, "Fractions" will cover fractions from 1st thru 6th grade level in one workbook.

There are some really good options for secular science. I like REAL Science Odyssey by Pandia Press, but that's a bit younger. They are supposed to release Biology Level 2 this year, which would be for middle school level.

Two more options for science are CPO (written for public schools), which you can view the student books here:

http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/node/52

...but my current favorite for that age is Story of Science by Joy Hakim (books published by Smithsonian, John Hopkins U developed workbooks of experiments and student pages to go along with it). SoS is a 3 year program covering science chronologically rather than by subject. You could flesh it out to match history and science and teach them more or less together. :) If you search

this forum there is a discussion about how the publisher will let homeschoolers buy the books half price, so I got a complete set for $100 (free shipping, too) and that's for 3 years of stuff I can reuse with my 3 kids. SCORE! LOL

If he's interested in chemistry, check out:

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Pandia also make History Odyssey, your ds would be in level 2 I think, but it's more a guide IMO rather than full curriculum. MOSAIC is a free secular history curriculum. K12's History textbooks are well regarded as well, and you can buy them used for around $25 each if you liked that part of K12.

I can't offer much help with LA for that age, but good luck! I found it easiest to research one subject at a time, going from most important (to me) down. I also kept track of 1-2 backup options. When I found something I liked, I'd think about how it would fit with what I'd already selected.

It's also ok to not hit everything at once. It's ok to do madlibs for grammar for a while and just read and discuss great books for lit, journal for writing. Maybe do that while he gets on track with math and science/history, if those are fun and what you pick first. Then you can work in more formal LA materials to suit his needs.

AGain, good luck and take it day by day.

The main reason I had to pull my son from K12 is because they insisted he do pre algebra, but he is not ready for it. Doing pre algebra was a horrible nightmare for us. Also, the vocab was over his head (VFRW B). I looked at the book right before and it looked perfect. And the science was ok, but some of the questions were really hard or confusing for him. Basically he just needs something tailored to where he is at, and with a VA we cant do that.

Before last year my son hasnt done a whole lot of science. I know he has done some, but Im not sure hes quite ready to jump into his grade level or not. The problem is, before last year (our first year of hs) he kind of floated through school every year, barely passing. He has hated school for years and has built a resentment of learning and school.

Im not really sure what kind of learner he is. He loves to read and watch videos. He says he doesnt like hands on projects. Yesterday I did something with him that I saw in LLFL - I read a paragraph, had him circle mistakes, use the words he spelled wrong as spelling words, rewrite the paragraph, etc. Anyway, he liked that. I know that wasnt quite enough for him, but I like that style for him.

Also he HATES text books. He will do them, but he doesnt get anything from them at all. He loves SOTW - the stories keep him interested.

Edited by faiths13

On that note -

Keep in mind that SOTW is not strictly secular, nor are SWB's other curricula that I see recommended (FLL, WWE). Peace Hill Press is not a secular publisher.

I know SOTW has religious content in it, but for some reason the charter approves of it. We are using it now.

I am starting to get really overwhelmed by all the choices! Last year I picked out all our curric and was unhappy with half of it when my ds started it. I dont want to make that mistake again. Its so hard to know if we will like it until we use it.

thanks!

It sounds like RightStart Level C might be a good fit for your son, since it covers a lot of the basic math, telling time, multiplication, etc. It's a math program that's very hands-on, which is usually an advantage for kids who struggle with math.

For language arts, I agree with a previous poster who recommended First Language Lessons (grammar) and Writing With Ease (writing and narration training). Those can be found here.

What kind of science did you have in mind? Traditionally, earth science and astronomy are taught in conjunction with SOTW 2. One secular option is Elemental Science. Aside from having to get the supplemental books from the library or Amazon, everything is laid out for you -- worksheets, simple experiments, fun projects, etc.

Im not sure what kind of science to do honestly. My ds is interested in science, but when we did a science experiment last week he was totally disinterested. He says he would like to do experiments, but it doesnt really seem like it. Basically nothing text book. I showed him an excerpt from the Joy Hakim science, and he liked it, but he said it seemed religious. Is it? One thing I know is he hates texts, so no text booky science. He wants to shut down when he see tons of reading for things like that.

Edited by faiths13

A non textbook science option that would be grade level appropriate is Exploration Education. It's a combination of lessons on the computer and a logbook they can mark answers in. It's been good for my 7th grade ds this year - and we haven't done loads of science in the past either. He's also enjoying sitting in on some science dvds from the library with my younger ones.

ETA: Exploration Education has several different levels, and if I remember correctly, 7th grade is right on the bubble between intermediate and advanced. We went with intermediate. The two courses are the same, except the advanced adds an extra day each week and some additional projects. Our weeks are already crunched with outside activities, so we went with the intermediate level and I think it has been fine.

Edited by Another Lynn

I know SOTW has religious content in it, but for some reason the charter approves of it. We are using it now.

I am starting to get really overwhelmed by all the choices! Last year I picked out all our curric and was unhappy with half of it when my ds started it. I dont want to make that mistake again. Its so hard to know if we will like it until we use it.

A lot of programs have pretty good samples -- enough that you can do a couple weeks of lessons to see if it works for you. It sounds like ds needs a little decompression from the stresses of ps. When I took my 2nd grader out of K12 we took a few months just doing relaxed LA and more "fun" approaches to math, science, and history, including a 2mo unit on prehistory. By 7th grade, if he's been "getting by" he probably has some baggage to unload. I think you are probably correct that a more natural approach (rather than "school at home") will work better for your ds. For math, does he like puzzles and problem solving? Maybe look at math riddles and math olympiad problems you two can do together?

Once you get through "trying quite a few math programs that haven't worked", accept that math is work, and pick the least offensive and stick with it. Stop trying more.

One of the nice things about SM (which you just saw) is that because it is bare bones, you can whip through what he does know and linger on what he doesn't. It will involve you becoming a math teacher, however. If he is weak in everything, at this age, he has either been ignoring math or has some sort of LD with math. If he's tried all these years, and in 7th grade so far behind, I'd go to special needs board. If he just hasn't been sat down to DO math 45 minutes a day, start. Pick anything reasonable and start.

Before plunging in to a classical education, work hard on getting the three Rs up to speed first. A child can catch up on Thomas Paine later, but everything will be hindered by a weakness in the three Rs.

I know I sound stern, but I am sincere, and wish you the best. But please stop jumping around on the math. And ask lots of questions here. :)

Once you get through "trying quite a few math programs that haven't worked", accept that math is work, and pick the least offensive and stick with it. Stop trying more.

One of the nice things about SM (which you just saw) is that because it is bare bones, you can whip through what he does know and linger on what he doesn't. It will involve you becoming a math teacher, however. If he is weak in everything, at this age, he has either been ignoring math or has some sort of LD with math. If he's tried all these years, and in 7th grade so far behind, I'd go to special needs board. If he just hasn't been sat down to DO math 45 minutes a day, start. Pick anything reasonable and start.

Before plunging in to a classical education, work hard on getting the three Rs up to speed first. A child can catch up on Thomas Paine later, but everything will be hindered by a weakness in the three Rs.

I know I sound stern, but I am sincere, and wish you the best. But please stop jumping around on the math. And ask lots of questions here. :)

He does not have special needs. As I said, he just fell behind because he hasnt learned certain things. We did MUS last year for fractions and he did great with that. Its not that he doesnt know any math- he has gaps in his learning. I have tried different types of math because I want him to learn math in a way that works for him. Not every curric is going to work for every child. He has it in his head that math is evil - so I need to find a math that actually teaches him and doesnt turn him off. Do I have to teach him things like time and money because he missed it in 1st grade? Prob not - he can move on without those things, but Id like him to learn them.

And another thing about math is, Im horrible at it. I am little help one they hit fractions. So I need a math that has easy to use instructions on how to do it. Otherwise I cant help him. As far as other subjects, hes not really behind. I would say he could do some review of some things, but otherwise he is fine.

I really appreciate all the input and help! I am going through all the suggestion Ive gotten and there are some that look great! So far Im thinking I might go with Story of Science for science. I really like the look of Michael Clay Thompson, but can I use it with an older child and start from the beginning? Or would it be too simple? Ive read its too difficult to jump into the middle of it.

He does not have special needs. As I said, he just fell behind because he hasnt learned certain things. We did MUS last year for fractions and he did great with that. Its not that he doesnt know any math- he has gaps in his learning. I have tried different types of math because I want him to learn math in a way that works for him. Not every curric is going to work for every child. He has it in his head that math is evil - so I need to find a math that actually teaches him and doesnt turn him off. Do I have to teach him things like time and money because he missed it in 1st grade? Prob not - he can move on without those things, but Id like him to learn them.

And another thing about math is, Im horrible at it. I am little help one they hit fractions. So I need a math that has easy to use instructions on how to do it. Otherwise I cant help him. As far as other subjects, hes not really behind. I would say he could do some review of some things, but otherwise he is fine.

I'd go with Math Mammoth to fill the gaps. You can either buy the graded workbooks through Rainbow Resource (your charter will pay) or pay a few bucks out of pocket to download the topic worktexts.

You can start grammar at grade level, so Advanced Language Lessons or Voyages in English would work well. VIE is not sectarian. There might be a Catholic version, but I use the non-sectarian version with my DD.

I'd go with Math Mammoth to fill the gaps. You can either buy the graded workbooks through Rainbow Resource (your charter will pay) or pay a few bucks out of pocket to download the topic worktexts.

You can start grammar at grade level, so Advanced Language Lessons or Voyages in English would work well. VIE is not sectarian. There might be a Catholic version, but I use the non-sectarian version with my DD.

I was looking at the MM books and they look perfect for him to go over the things he seems to have missed in elementary to get him caught up to pre algebra. There are just so many grammar choices my head is spinning! aak!

If he likes stories, might check out Joy Hakim's "Story of Science" and activity guide by JHU -- (I mentioned these before).

My dd really adored the "George's secret key to the universe" and the other books by Lucy and Stephen Hawkings (yes, THAT Stephen Hawkings):

http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Secret-Universe-Stephen-Hawking/dp/1416954627

http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Cosmic-Treasure-Hunt-Hawking/dp/1442421754/ref=pd_sim_b_1

They are a 3-book series with tons of current info on space sciences. I had to order the 3rd book from the UK (hasn't been released by a publisher here, but I'm sure will be soon). Anyway, definitely worth checking to see if your library has them.

One of the lessons our kids have to learn is sometimes learning is work. A guy I worked with once told me a great job isn't one that you wake up wanting to be there every day, but one where you're happy to be there more days than not. I think that's true with school as well -- I try to make learning fun, but I also try to make it clear that dc's job is to make the effort and do the work even when it's not so fun. When 8yo dd has missed that point, I've done the dramatic, "Oh, your hungry? Well, sorry but making you food doesn't sound FUN to me right now..." or dd tells me the baby has a dirty diaper and I've said, "But wiping poo off his bottom doesn't sound like FUN, so why should I do it?" :D

Anyway, if dc has been under the delusion learning is optional, a seeming "choice" in ps where glazed eyes go unnoticed...you might well find yourself having to negotiate the social contract that says you'll try to be responsive and make things fun and he'll tow the line even when you fail to make things fun. I think kids in ps often get the idea that learning is something that is done TO them, rather than something THEY do. Anyway, may not be an issue with your ds at all, just something to tuck in the back of your head if you dc seems to turn his nose up at everything that isn't Disneyland FUN. ;)

What are your Charter school's and state's rules? Can you take a month or so of just doing 3Rs and interest led, or do you need to be clocking X subjects?

The Jesuits have a ed concept that is really neat (I went to a jesuit hs): they teach LA and history (and some other things) together in one subject. So, if you are studying the middle ages in history, you might be learning about stained glass in art, literature from that time, writing in that style -- basically the idea is to teach these things together so that you can see how philosophy affects literature affects architecture affects history affects politics, etc, etc. I try to incorporate those ideas whenever possible. I mention this because you may be able to utilize this to add interest (relevancy) and fun. Look for ways to connect things ( a twofer): if fractions trip him up, get him helping with cooking (leasuring and scaling recipes), pick science projects that use fractions. If he is interested in alligators, get him books on alligators (including classic lit involving alligators), have him write poems or a report on alligators, go to the zoo to see them, study their biology/anatomy, set aside time to discuss what he's read (reading comp). What I'm describing is a lot like unit studies, but it can also be a mindset where you tweak assignments or shuffle their order to bring greater continuity to his lessons. It may morph from one thing to the next, rather than a finite "unit" on something, and you will probably want to develop some overarching themes.

ETA: It also may not be a constant thing -- we were doing biology in science until dd got excited about space stuff thanks to those books, so we took a detour to do more earth-space stuff for a bit. We're still doing bio, but more slowly to make room from the earth sciences (which I puled together from resources I had, just a bit of shuffling).

Edited by ChandlerMom

Ive finally settled on VIE & EIE for grammar. yay! I really like the look of Joy Hakims Story of Science, and that link for the Stephen Hawkings book looks good. thanks! Yes, i finally came to the realization that no matter what he prob wont like it, lol. But i realized my younger son is using the EIE and I really like that, so that made it easy. And I found some novel units for lit. And I am going to start with some easy MM workbooks to get him caught up in what he doesnt know so he can move up to grade level work. So i need to look at a writing program next. oh and we are doing SOTW so I am looking into something to go with that as well.