Menu

PLS Explain This to Me. I cannot be the only person who does this...................

I am searching and bidding on stuff for grand-daughters and for our kids to get started on Christmas Shopping.

I also have some items that I would LOVE to get for me in my watch list (mostly vintage Vuitton - I have Vuitton, but I would like a different one).

I am bidding and watching on an AG doll for dgd8 and it is at the same price as an LV handbag that I would love -- I know that I will opt for the AG doll and forego the handbag -- I want to know WHY?

I could wait for another AG doll in a week or two and get the handbag right now, but I know that I won't do that.

Can someone explain this?:confused:

Does knowing that help you to bid in a way you're more comfortable w/, logically speaking?

Knowing that certainly helps me to see why I will always select the item for the other individual over the item for me.

I did win the doll -- I knew how much she would cost new from the AG store and I am thrilled with the price I won her for on ebay. It's interesting that I had no stress about bidding on the doll, but had I been bidding on the LV handbag, I would have been stressing b/c I would have been telling myself that it would be better if I was bidding on the doll so that I could spend those $$$$ on Christmas presents as opposed to spending those $$$ on myself.

I guess that to me, the doll for Emily is a 'necessity' type of purchase but the handbag would be a luxury/non essential item. I am thrilled that I scored an AG doll for the price that i did. I would be pleased to score an LV handbag, but not thrilled. does that make sense?

because as a mom and grandma you always put your needs, wants, and interests last. I'm not using need and want as a separate thing here, because I'm guessing you will put stuff for kids and grandkids above your own needs, not just your wants. Moms do this universally.

I have no problem figuring out how to squeeze in (financially and time wise) and a class (music/art/sport) for one of my kids, but I tend not to allow myself the time and $$ to sign up for an exercise class for myself. I tell myself I can't infringe on the family so I workout in the dark at 5 am because it cost me the running shoes which I'd have to get no matter what and a head lamp and time wise everyone is asleep. Some of the classes I want are free because I work part time at a community center, but I still deny myself the time. I'm hoping I will let myself be more selfish in the future.

:seeya: Pick me...I know why.

You have a limited vocabulary...that is why.:tongue_smilie:

I will help you learn a new word. That word is both. An example sentence is "I would like both, please." You can use it in places where there is an either/or situation. If you waiter says: "Would you like a glass of wine or dessert?" You simply say "both, please" :cheers2:. See how easily it works! It is a short but powerful word.

Next time you are on Ebay bidding away....and you say, should I get the LV or the AG....you simply smile and say "Both, please" and everyone is happy. You are happy, your dd is happy, dh will be happy because his girls are happy, and 2 sellers will be happy! It is a kindness you can spread far and wide!

:D

I do this too. It explains why I am naked, starving, have no shoes, haven't had a haircut in over a year, etc. I don't try to be a martyr but for some reason it is really hard to tell a kid no for something you really can afford even if it means that you have to go without and well when you have six kids, you always end up going without.