Menu

Appetizers, anyone?

I need ideas for appetizers to serve at my mil's 80th birthday celebration. There will be a large buffet dinner later, so the appetizers don't need to be super-heavy. There are some rather challenging requirements though. They must be:

Food that the average not-super-sophisticated type will recognize and be willing to try.

They still have to seem elegant. No mini-wienies, for instance. :tongue_smilie:

Must be prepared ahead of time, with minimal fussing around at time of serving.

Must not require time in the oven, since the oven will be otherwise occupied.

There will already be a cheese platter, and maybe some stuffed mushrooms (just 'cause they're my personal fave, and I get to choose ;) ).

Any other great ideas? :bigear:

Will you be able to use the stove? One of my favorites is Hot Cherry Tomatoes: Toss some cherry tomatoes in olive oil and garlic and sautee until the skins on the tomatoes just starts to split. It only takes a few minutes to cook and is delish.

If no stove: Scoop out the cherry tomatoes and stuff with tuna salad, egg salad, or my personal fave-goat cheese.

Some kind of dip or spread? There are lots of ideas here:

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=dip&Page=2

Appetizers in general are here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/main.aspx?prop24=PN_2.2.1_SN.Appetizers

If you can make deviled eggs fancy, they will be a big hit.

Edited by RoughCollie

fried wontons with cream cheese filling? Or I've had crab ones too.

Recently went somewhere they served baked pita chips with spinach queso for dipping. They also has some more regional things - thin sliced reindeer sausage paired with pepper jack cheese, smoked salmon dip, and some amzaing oysters. Also small shrimp on ice. Oh, and mini skewers with bites of grilled veggies and/or steak (these were warm).

Deviled eggs. They tale some time, but can be refrigerated for a day. If you have a star decorated tip amd baggie you can make them look a lot prettier, top with paprika and something green.....Yummy and pretty.

Tortilla rolls....you can buy the at Sams or make them. I get whole wheat flatouts, they are more rectangular and you get more out of them.

Non-sophisticated version:

Cream cheese, chopped black olives, lunch meat ham-chopped, worschestershire (sp) sauce. Mix and spread, roll the Tortilla and slice

A little sophisticated...my favorites:

Cream cheese, roasted red pepper and article hearts chopped, optional: chopped sandwich turkey.

Cream cheese, basil pest.

Fruit kabobs

Cheese ball and crackers. My mom mixes craisins into cream cheese and rolls in chopped pecans or walnuts.

Veggie and fruit trays

Bean dip--in case you need to pass it!

This is very easy and quite delicious: Get a large block of cream cheese (the one about 5 inches long), dump a can of drained

lump crab meat on top, pour cocktail sauce on top. Clean up the plate a little if the sauce has run too far. Surround with your favorite crackers. It really tastes like you've spent a long time making it! ;)

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Hummus and vegetables or mini pitas

Cheese ball (I like cheddar mixed with cream cheese and blue cheese and rolled in crushed walnuts) & crackers

Crackers and hot pepper jelly

Chunks of fruit like pineapple, melons, mango

Large bowl of grapes of different colors. Cut into nice size stems first to make it easy to get on the plate.

Can you take something you've already cooked? Mini quiches are yummy.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I like to take ritz crackers and spread them with softened cream cheese... then I smooth a layer of olive tapanade (store bought... Costco has a great one but you can get them anywhere) over the top. Always hit and they look and taste awesome.

Another favorite is to take marachino cherries and wrap them with half slices of bacon and then skewer with a wooden toothpick (that has been soaked in water). Bake in a 375 oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. REALLY good and very different.

Take large wooden toothpicks and on each one skewer a cube of cheese (white or yellow, a cube meat (pepperoni or salami), and an olive (black or green). I get all those and mix the skewers up. Very easy.

When we go to the Mt. Vernon Birthnight Ball, they have

Baked Brie with little toasted cracker things

Smoked Salmon with capers

Cheese plate

Fruit (chunked up so you can eat it with toothpicks)

Then they pass around little triangle toasts with some sort of crab stuff

stuffed mushrooms

and...not sure what else

You could put out peeled shrimp--that's pretty straightforward but most people like it.

I love this appetizer as it is unusual - but not so different that it scares people off.

Cucumber and Artichoke Salsa

2 med cucumbers, peeled

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons shallots, minced

2-3 serranos, chopped

1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped

1 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoons sugar

12 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped

1 tablespoon fresh mint or salad burnett (I used salad burnett)

2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)

Cut the cucumbers in half lenghtwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Chop cucumber halves into 1/4 inch cubes; sprinkle with salt. Place cubes in a colander and allow to drain for 10 minutes to remove any bitterness and excess moisture. Mix the shallots, serranos, red onions and artichoke hearts together in a bowl and add the cucumbers. Add mustard seeds, sugar, vinegar and oil. Toss with the fresh herbs and allow to chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips or baked pita chips.