Menu

Ikea expedit bookcase?

Has anyone ever built one themselves before? I want the 5x5 one, but we live 3 hours away from the nearest ikea store...and I'm not sure it would fit in our van. My dh is willing to build it, so I was wondering if anyone has instructions on it?

It fit in my sedan. I built it myself. EASY!

Has anyone ever built one themselves before?
Yes.
I want the 5x5 one, but we live 3 hours away from the nearest ikea store...and I'm not sure it would fit in our van.
I forget how we carried ours. We have both a large van and a minivan and we often pull a trailer when we go to Ikea. I can ask MomsintheGarden what we did, if you like.
My dh is willing to build it, so I was wondering if anyone has instructions on it?
I probably have them somewhere. What information do you need?

ETA: I meant to say that you need a LARGE floor area to assemble this thing. I also had to used a rubber mallet to get the pieces to pull together. I tried doing it with the heel of my hand and bruised it. Be sure to place a sheet of packing paper between the mallet and the shelf to prevent it from marring the finish.

Here is a picture of ours:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6679&stc=1&d=1319289111

post-9943-13535085624493_thumb.jpg

Edited by RegGuheert

We have fit all the IKEA bookshelves and the entertainment center we bought in our minivan with the back seats down and our kids in the middle captains chairs. The entertainment center was one trip since it was 4 sections and 4 doors. Bookshelves were another. We have Expedit and Billy shelves.

They come with instructions and all the tools you need. They are not difficult to put together at all. We love IKEA!

Has anyone ever built one themselves before? I want the 5x5 one, but we live 3 hours away from the nearest ikea store...and I'm not sure it would fit in our van. My dh is willing to build it, so I was wondering if anyone has instructions on it?

You did mean build it as in go to the lumber yard and make your own right?

Or did you mean to drive 6 hrs to pick one up?

Sorry if I misunderstood, but making your own would be much easier (IMO) than that! Not to mention the $40 - $50 in added cost for fuel.

ETA: In my mind "build" does not equal "assemble". Sorry if I misunderstood. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by darlasowders

Sorry, looks like I need to re-phrase my question! The trip to IKEA is 3 hours away...and if I went by myself I would have to take the kids with me...which means I would only have the trunk space in our mini-van. I highly doubt it would fit in that space. My husband is willing to 'build' it for me...as in go to Lowes and buy the wood to build it. I was wondering if anyone had built it themselves, as in what type wood used, etc. Those type of things:)

Have you tried Craiglist? I've bought Ikea shelves from folks off of Craiglist before and they were in great condition and half the price of new. Those are the kind of thing that you can often find used when someone is moving. It's worth looking in to and saving yourself the trip to Ikea, the expense, and all the work that would come with building and finishing the wood on a homemade set.

I have 3, all of the 4x2 size, and would drive 6 hours to buy them. In a blizzard, barefoot. And then I would assemble them with my teeth if necessary. And they would fit in the mini van easily if you lay one seat down. If you are willing to drive with boxes propped on your dash, you can probably get away with not putting a seat down.

I heart my Expedits.

Terri

generally instructions come with the boxed items. I've found ikea pieces fairly easy to put together.