Menu

Hi. My name is Sue, and I am a former Edy's ice cream fan...

Pardon me. I generally hang out on the curriculum board, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I loved Edy's Double Fudge Brownie ice cream. But, there is something fishy going on. I noticed that they came out with "Fun Flavors" Double Fudge Brownie. My husband pointed out that the carton is smaller. Then, I noticed that the carton no longer said ice cream, it says "Frozen Dairy Dessert". Eww!

I wish I had an old carton to compare the ingredients. The best I can do is compare it to their chocolate ice cream ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: milk, cream, skim milk, sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, dextrose

Fun Flavor Double Fudge Brownie:

INGREDIENTS: Whey (Dairy), skim milk, cream, Chocolate Fudge (sugar, skim milk, corn syrup, cream, water, cocoa processed with alkali, bitter chocolate, modified tapioca starch, sodium alginate, salt), sugar, chocolate brownie pieces (sugar, wheat flour, soybean oil, eggs, cocoa powder processed with alkali, corn syrup, water, natural flavor, salt, soy lecithin, xanthan gum), corn syrup, cocoa processed with alkali, maltodextrin, Propylene Glycol Monostearate, guar gum, monoglycerides, carrageenan

Maybe I should've never looked. Maybe I should start making my own.

What do you think?

No, no....it's good that you looked. I've always believed it's better to know. More and more though, I'm finding it's definitely better making my own....just about anything. The junk that is in food these days is just nasty. If I were to put on my conspiracy theory hat...no, no, I won't go there.

Think of it this way, what if you continued buying and eating that stuff?? Yuck, and your kids....I'd just enjoy the rest of that carton and then let it go.

I definitely like the content label on item number one much better! Contents of everything are changing right now due to prices of ingredients going up, I think. I'm having to be very careful because I'm really allergic to palm and coconut oils and folks are starting to put 'em in everything!

Pardon me. I generally hang out on the curriculum board, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I loved Edy's Double Fudge Brownie ice cream. But, there is something fishy going on. I noticed that they came out with "Fun Flavors" Double Fudge Brownie. My husband pointed out that the carton is smaller. Then, I noticed that the carton no longer said ice cream, it says "Frozen Dairy Dessert". Eww!

I wish I had an old carton to compare the ingredients. The best I can do is compare it to their chocolate ice cream ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: milk, cream, skim milk, sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, dextrose

INGREDIENTS: Whey (Dairy), skim milk, cream, Chocolate Fudge (sugar, skim milk, corn syrup, cream, water, cocoa processed with alkali, bitter chocolate, modified tapioca starch, sodium alginate, salt), sugar, chocolate brownie pieces (sugar, wheat flour, soybean oil, eggs, cocoa powder processed with alkali, corn syrup, water, natural flavor, salt, soy lecithin, xanthan gum), corn syrup, cocoa processed with alkali, maltodextrin, Propylene Glycol Monostearate, guar gum, monoglycerides, carrageenan

What do you think?

What do you mean, Sue? A day isn't complete until you've had a nice helping of cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan and dextrose.;)

I say go for it!:001_smile:

Well, you have to choose Breyer's carefully. They still have ice cream that is all-natural with minimum ingredients. It's the ones that have more stuff in it -brownies, candies, caramel etc. For instance, the Breyers that has the Oreo's, or the Snickers or the Reese's Peanut Butter is chock full of artificial ingred - but that's because those candy bars are, kwim? The plain vanilla, or the strawberry or even Rocky Road are still good.

I've never liked Edy's. Blech! But then again, I have lactose problems so ice cream isn't a big deal to me. Now cake or puddings (someone just made us the most delicious banana pudding the other day - I'm seriously restraining myself from eating it ALL. I just keep telling myself it won't help the baby fat...) is another story, LOL.

We used to be Edy's fan until I started reading labels. We are now Breyer's fan but only buy the natural vanilla (with vanilla specks). :001_smile: Dh would love to start making our own homemade ice cream. He is still researching the best ice cream maker.

Holly

Well, you have to choose Breyer's carefully. They still have ice cream that is all-natural with minimum ingredients. It's the ones that have more stuff in it -brownies, candies, caramel etc. For instance, the Breyers that has the Oreo's, or the Snickers or the Reese's Peanut Butter is chock full of artificial ingred - but that's because those candy bars are, kwim? The plain vanilla, or the strawberry or even Rocky Road are still good.

Oh man. It's the brownies and fudge that make it so good. When I think about trying to duplicate it myself, I know I'm not gonna make brownies first to chop into the ice cream. :crying:

When I think about trying to duplicate it myself, I know I'm not gonna make brownies first to chop into the ice cream. :crying:

You know, you could absolutely do this! Just make a batch of brownies with the thought of, "hey we haven't had brownies in awhile (even if you *just* did. If the pan is empty, it's been "awhile", :D), I think I'll make some." Then, you all enjoy your brownies. The next day, when they aren't so fresh, say to yourself, "You know what would be good? If I made some ice cream and chopped some of these brownies and put them in it". Then voila! You have choc,. brownie ice cream - without all the artificial stuff! This assumes of course that you and your family showed *some* restraint and didn't eat the entire batch in one day, LOL.

Do you have a Cuisenart ice cream maker? They aren't expensive and are extremely easy to use. And they do a great job in about 30 min. I highly recommend it.

Just make a batch of brownies with the thought of, "hey we haven't had brownies in awhile (even if you *just* did. If the pan is empty, it's been "awhile", :D), I think I'll make some."

:rofl:

This assumes of course that you and your family showed *some* restraint and didn't eat the entire batch in one day, LOL.

Have you been peeking in our windows? :mad:

Do you have a Cuisenart ice cream maker? They aren't expensive and are extremely easy to use. And they do a great job in about 30 min. I highly recommend it.

Okay, okay. I'll put it on the Christmas list. Too bad mother's day just passed us by. You are absolutely right - especially if I get one of those huge brownie pans and make a big batch. I could even freeze what doesn't go in the ice cream. :rolleyes:

Now, tell me how to make the fudge. :D

Which ice cream maker do you recommend? Surely, you are not speaking of the $299 model?

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/products/icecream_yogurt_makers

No, the $299 says it's commercial. No, I wasn't referring to that one, LOL

Just the good 'ole $49.95 one - and you might be able to find it even cheaper. I'm pretty sure I got mine for $39, but it was a few years ago. I think Sam's Club sells them (or used to) and that one comes with an extra container.

Breyers is another one. Their 'All Natural' vanilla ice cream now contains Tara Gum as well something vague called 'natural flavor'. I remember reading in, I believe, Fast Food Nation that the label 'natural flavor' is a red flag that the product has been tampered with. According to the book, as with artificial flavors, 'natural flavors' are manmade, chemical additives that give processed foods their flavors. Natural flavors are flavors derived from natural sources by artificial means, often producing icky byproducts you don't want in your food. For example, when almond flavor, known as benzaldehyde, is derived from peach pits, the resulting 'natural flavor' contains traces of hydrogen cyanide. Yum.

The thing is, I didn't even notice the label change until I noticed the change in flavor and texture. It's definitely not the Breyers Ice Cream I grew up with.

Barb

The carton got smaller, and I "think" the ingredients are still natural, but they put in some weird thing that is probably a natural filler and it TOTALLY changed the consistency. YUCK!! It was a huge bummer. I'm still not over it :crying:

They were actually bought by a different company that changed the recipe. They USED to be all-natural, but now they're not. We always bought their mint chocolate chip but now - yuk!

Breyers is another one. Their 'All Natural' vanilla ice cream now contains Tara Gum as well something vague called 'natural flavor'. I remember reading in, I believe, Fast Food Nation that the label 'natural flavor' is a red flag that the product has been tampered with. According to the book, as with artificial flavors, 'natural flavors' are manmade, chemical additives that give processed foods their flavors. Natural flavors are flavors derived from natural sources by artificial means, often producing icky byproducts you don't want in your food. For example, when almond flavor, known as benzaldehyde, is derived from peach pits, the resulting 'natural flavor' contains traces of hydrogen cyanide. Yum.

The thing is, I didn't even notice the label change until I noticed the change in flavor and texture. It's definitely not the Breyers Ice Cream I grew up with.

Barb

Okay, okay. UNCLE!

I have my hands over my ears...I do not want to look at the ingredients... Oh well...This making things from scratch is beginning to come a little easier to me...But my ice cream...Mint Chocolate Chip....

What do you think?