Menu

I need Christmas gift suggestions for my ds

My dh is making the kids presents this year. Dd1 is getting a horse stable and fence for her horses, dd2 is getting a dollhouse, and dd3 a toadstool house (its really cute!). Ds is a tough kid though. He doesn't have defined interests like the girls do. He likes a little bit of everything but nothing if that makes sense. :)

So keeping on the theme of a single hand built item, any suggestions for an almost 7yo boy?

Fire station, especially one that is large enough to hold one of the trucks that makes a lot of noise.

Parking garage, for Hot Wheels cars. To avoid ramps, the cars can go up on lifts.

Super hero building (type depends on the super hero).

Fleet of boats that actually float, can be used outdoors or inside, and that have some way to move besides wind power.

My boys liked things with many moving parts and that make noise and have lights.

Edited by RoughCollie

Does he use blocks or legos or something? Maybe a small table or workspace? Our boys have a large multi-purpose table that has served as a train table, building surface (legos, blocks, tinker toys), battlefield (figurines and action heros), and ping pong table LOL. It has little cubby holes for baskets to store things, too. Love it. Toy chest? Storage bench?

If he likes to read, maybe a rocking chair or bookshelf?

If he makes things, perhaps a display shelf for his work? If he has trophies or awards, maybe a display frame?

If he likes to bike or skate, maybe a ramp? He might be young for that, as the oldest boy, but our second and younger boys were out there at seven because they wanted to be like/with the eldest boy ;)

A "locker" or cabinet to hold "stuff" - our kids have lots of outdoor/sports gear. Wood lockers, open with hooks - similar to a locker room, would house everything relatively neatly. Balls, shoes, caps, skates, etc.

Edited by eternalknot

My dh is making the kids presents this year. Dd1 is getting a horse stable and fence for her horses, dd2 is getting a dollhouse, and dd3 a toadstool house (its really cute!). Ds is a tough kid though. He doesn't have defined interests like the girls do. He likes a little bit of everything but nothing if that makes sense. :)

So keeping on the theme of a single hand built item, any suggestions for an almost 7yo boy?

a toadstool house

Do you have a description or photo of this? Sounds cool and maybe my dh could make gifts as well. What great idea!

Fire station, especially one that is large enough to hold one of the trucks that makes a lot of noise.

:iagree:This is a great idea!

I was also thinking of something that he can use with Hot Wheels cars, something like a garage with ramps.

A wooden space ship?

A log cabin/fort that comes with soldiers to act out a war?

A pirate ship?

Your dh is ambitious. Over the past 10+ years, my wood-working husband has made wooden swords, and daggers, for each of our 4 sons for Christmases. He also made a mounting rack to hang/display their weaponry, toy guns, and archery bow and quiver.

He's also made wooden bookcases and simple desks for two boys (so far). I would be tempted to NOT make it a surprise, to include the son in making the item and to get his feedback on design.

Your dh is amazing to be so industrious! Be very appreciative for whatever he comes up with. :001_smile:

How about the pieces to a kit that they can build together? A car, birdhouse, or bigger project. I'm thinking similar to the ones they offer at Lowe's on the weekends for kids to build. He can precut/drill the pieces then put it together with your ds. Or would that be a letdown on Christmas day to have an unassembled toy/present? Hmmm.....

How about a teepee - if you look on etsy, you can see a lot of them. They all go for a lot of money, but I'm thinking the process of making one wouldn't be too crazy, though the materials cost might be slightly high.

We're also trying to do a mostly homemade Christmas, so I'm curious to hear other suggestions. My boys wouldn't be so big on a castle or a fire station at this age (they're also 7 yo).

We're also trying to do a mostly homemade Christmas, so I'm curious to hear other suggestions. My boys wouldn't be so big on a castle or a fire station at this age (they're also 7 yo).

Yes, those things would have been great when my ds was 3 or 4, but as a 7 year old he'd not really have much interest in them.

My ds has been begging for a workbench that is just his size. Would your ds like something like that?

Yes, those things would have been great when my ds was 3 or 4, but as a 7 year old he'd not really have much interest in them.

My ds has been begging for a workbench that is just his size. Would your ds like something like that?

A workbench was my dh suggestion. However as I explained to dh, ds has free reign of all non-power tools to create to his hearts content. I thought maybe the workbench would be kind of boring compared to what he already does. But then again maybe not. I am torn on this one.

I really like the idea of the fire station and castle. I think he would play with them but I don't know.

Great suggestions everyone! I have a list for dh to look at when he comes home tonight. :D

Any other ideas?

a toadstool house

Do you have a description or photo of this? Sounds cool and maybe my dh could make gifts as well. What great idea!

I am actually going to sew the toadstool house. :) Dh knocked my idea down claiming something like "This is intense. I have no idea how to make this hollow tube thingy!" Sounds like excuses to me. ;)

Here is the link for the toadstools in case you sew and want to give it a try. I haven't decided if I am going to make the fairies or just make a family. I think she would like them either way.