Menu

Where would he be?

So my second son is an early November baby turning 13. Is he 7th or 8th or 6th? I know it doesn't really matter but he is asking. He started Kinder at 5 turning 6, if that helps.

My son was 12 when he entered 7th, he turned 13 in May of his 7th grade year.

This year he is in 8th grade, age 13 but will turn 14 in May.

My dd on the other hand has a Sept. birthday. She misses the state cut-off date and therefore will be 13 in 7th grade (which I'm really happy about;)) actually my three middle children all have Sept/Oct. b-days and will be 13 in 7th grade.

So my second son is an early November baby turning 13. Is he 7th or 8th or 6th? I know it doesn't really matter but he is asking. He started Kinder at 5 turning 6, if that helps.

In all the states that I have homeschooled in he would be in 7th. My dd just turned 13 and is in 7th. According to this website, in TX the cut-off is Sept 1, so your ds would be in 7th.

http://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

Well, I would lean towards 7th, but I think the real question to base it on is -- how many years until he will start high school credit worthy work?

If he will start high school work next year, he's in 8th. If he needs another year before that, he's in 7th.

In my state the cutoff is September 30, but my local school system encourages parents to wait an additional year to start boys in kindergarten if they have a summer birthday, are small for their age, or did not attend preschool.

7th, but it does depend on how your school system handles it.

However, depending on his abilities and what he has under his belt academically, you certainly can call it whatever you want. If you are doing 6th grade work, then call him a 6th grader. You say he would rather be called a 5th grader? I bet he might not like that so much once he gets older and is ready to be DONE with school but he can't because he still has 3 more grades to finish, ugh.

My 7th grade son, born in the summer, could TECHNICALLY be in 8th grade, and boy, is he ever hounding me about wanting to be in 8th. NO WAY! There is not a chance in the world that he could possibly start high school work next year! I lost so much ground with him in several of his elementary years when I was so very occupied with life crises, that he lacks some foundational skills yet, so I'm working on those. And darn it if all his friends are in 8th, argh, I hear about that all the time. My answer is SO WHAT?! We're functioning on a 7th grade level for the most part, so that's what I'm calling it.