Menu

Unsupportive teachers?

I am new to formal afterschooling. After a summer of enrichment it seemed natural to continue into the school year. My daughter, 6, has been working with ETC and SM 1B since the school year began and is really proud if what she's learned. When she goes to school and tries to share it with her teacher...well its clear that he is less than enthusiastic (based on snide remarks made to me and to her). DD told me yesterday that she's afraid to share anything else with him. In any case, the school has something called walk to math and DD has determined that those are the smart kids and she belongs there too. According to DD their work is easier than what she does at home . It's everyday math so that wouldn't surprise me. How do you all deal with teachers who make it clear to you and your kids that they disapprove of afterschooling and do not want to accelerate bc of perceived holes in their afterschooling curriculum?

Sneezy,

My daughter was in several "walk-to" classes for 1st & 2nd grade.

What happened in her experience was that the "walk to" classes were intended to be advanced content work time. What actually happened was the child was not instructed "to"- but in some cases simply ignored and left alone with a few other kids.

They just sat on beanbag chairs and read books. There was no actual instruction, just logging of book titles and time.

In her math "walk-to" she ended up being a nurturing figure to the other kids helping them work out problems on math sheets.

I don't know if you are going to be welcome to pop-in and observe what is actually going on in the "walk-to" classes; but you might want to. If it's dead-head city; you might be able to make arrangements for her to work on Singapore independently during that time.

I'm not sure if combining Everyday Math and then coming home and doing a different style is the best option out there. I think it has potential to cause confusion.

I'm really bummed for your daughter having feelings of negativity & reserve when it comes to talking about accomplishments at home and new things she's learning. I feel for you. On the brightest of the dark side of that, she's going to learn some coping skills with disappointment with teachers attitudes. You might want to help her with that and keep an open ear.

Say for example your child was excelling in violin and went to school to chatter on about that..bringing in pictures or programs or sharing excitement about learning music.

I don't think in a case like that any teacher is going to dissuade the passion; but when it crosses the line into "their" territory of expertise, they can be a bit protective and rude; maybe without even realizing they are doing it.

I had "feelings" that similar issues were going on in my daughters school, so I went in for a reality check - and yes, they were confirmed without a shadow of a doubt. Any afterschooling news or sharing is highly discouraged and unwanted.

It's a road to nowhere sometimes.

Go stealth if you find that this is what's happening at your daughters school.

Yesterday, my daughter brought home her "from home" books. Her teacher will not allow her to work on them during the day anymore.

That was working for a while for us, but that's come to an end.

You might be able to go to the school and teach if you have time, one of the parents here did that. When it was time for "walk-to" or whatever, they came to the school and worked one on one with their child.

I guess it just depends on the school and the atmosphere.

Good luck with it. :)

How do you all deal with teachers who make it clear to you and your kids that they disapprove of afterschooling and do not want to accelerate bc of perceived holes in their afterschooling curriculum?

I didn't share what we were doing with teachers unless I felt they wouldn't react negatively. It usually took a bit of time before I had a good *feel* for a teacher. Elementary teachers seemed to be the most disapproving, IME; thus, I didn't share much with them.

My son was allowed to work on AoPS math independently in middle and junior high school. (He took math courses at the high school so had a free math period in middle/junior high school.) Ds is a freshman now, and all of his high school teachers for math have taken an interest in what he uses at home (AoPS, Awesome Math Year-round and a few oddball books) mainly because they want to use some of it with their own kids at home! His books and material get passed around the teacher's math lounge (the high school has about 30+ math teachers). LOL.

So, while some teachers disapprove of supplementing at home, others are interested. It just depends on the individual teacher.

ETA: We began supplementing math with Saxon, then switched to Singapore, because of Everyday Math. No confusion in our house.

Edited by MBM
more info

This is so hard. I hate that excellence is discouraged and kids who are eager to learn and show what they know are made to feel bad about it.

The district is requiring all of the schools to use everyday math so I don't think they'd let her work on SM. One school asked for a math waiver to use SM this year and it was turned down by the district. DD's school also has a new, youngish principal that isn't inclined to cross her teachers or any district mandates.

I looked through the EM book on Back to School night and it's not all that different from what we've already covered (just less in-depth). The homework is a joke though. I'd LOOOVE to go stealth but DD has a tendency to overshare. How do you keep your kids from blabbing (or, in the case of DD, smuggling their math notebook to school)?

Classroom-based schools are all about keeping everyone marching to the same drummer. And truly, it couldn't be otherwise; when there are hundreds of children coming through a single school, a teacher cannot possibly do more than do one thing with all of the children (sometimes exceptions can be made for obviously accelerated or un-accelerated children), It is one of the many things that homeschoolers dislike about classroom teaching, and why many of them began hsing in the first place.

It's not that I want them to do any more for her. I don't care if they merely babysit so long as they encourage and don't undermine her natural curiosity and interest in learning. OK, that and respect the fact that I am my child's teacher too, always have been and always will be. She's not coming to school as a tabula rasa but a well-prepared and eager learner and I had something to do with that.

Maybe I should find an educator board because I'm dying to know what they'd prefer you do when your kid comes home and says the teacher put a big number on the board and I couldn't read it, "Mom, can you teach me millions?" And later, "What comes after millions?" :lol:

I'm sorry the OP is having a bad experience. Not all schools or all teachers are like this.

This morning I met with my son's teacher. She had asked him to bring in some of his after-schooling math books because they had been discussing "algebra" in his 2nd Grade math time as an "advanced" subject, and the little man volunteered that he was doing linear equations at home.

So today I took in my Ed Zaccaro Primary Grade Challenge Math book for her to borrow. She may use some of it with the kids, and some she may give to my son alone. But she is really trying to differentiate and meet his needs. I appreciate that.

I can also say it ain't easy. I feel like a pretty good early elementary math teacher—when things are one-on-one. But trying to reach a roomful of children whose abilities are all over the place is not easy.

I have worked at stations of 5 or 6 kids, still not easy.

I give a lot of credit to good teachers. And I'm sorry that there are some who don't embrace the education that happens at home. We have been very fortunate to have a school and teachers that support all forms of education, as that's how it ought to be.

Bill

OK, that and respect the fact that I am my child's teacher too, always have been and always will be.

That isn't ever going to happen. As far as professional educators are concerned, your dc will grow up totally illiterate if they don't spend their time in the one-size-fits-all classroom for 12 years. :glare:

It's not that I want them to do any more for her. I don't care if they merely babysit so long as they encourage and don't undermine her natural curiosity and interest in learning. OK, that and respect the fact that I am my child's teacher too, always have been and always will be. She's not coming to school as a tabula rasa but a well-prepared and eager learner and I had something to do with that.

Maybe I should find an educator board because I'm dying to know what they'd prefer you do when your kid comes home and says the teacher put a big number on the board and I couldn't read it, "Mom, can you teach me millions?" And later, "What comes after millions?" :lol:

Your daughter might like some of the following if you haven't seen them yet:

Here is an amazon link to children's books and the concept of million.

Here is another amazon link for children's books and the concept of googol.

Don't worry about the teacher too much. I bet that eventually your daughter will get some really wonderful ones who enjoy her enthusiasm and interests.

We don't think our teachers are supportive of afterschooling either. At least that has been my impression so far. I tell my boys specifically not to discuss what he is learning at home. Basically, I don't mind him saying he reads and has fun with math, or mom is teaching him parts of speech, but I don't want him going to school and telling his teacher he has a whole curriculum going at home (SM, MCT, etc). The teacher is certainly aware that he knows more than a typical 1st grader based on differentiated homework she sents home, but she hasn't asked anything and we haven't volunteered. So, if you don't think they are welcoming of your efforts, don't push the conversation. Basically, I plan on telling the truth only if I am asked.

Your daughter might like some of the following if you haven't seen them yet:

Here is an amazon link to children's books and the concept of million.

Here is another amazon link for children's books and the concept of googol.

Don't worry about the teacher too much. I bet that eventually your daughter will get some really wonderful ones who enjoy her enthusiasm and interests.

Thanks for the suggestions...DD would love this! We only explained through trillions but both would really help reinforce the concepts. Our library system is awesome so I think I can get them both for free. =)

OP, our experience in K-2 was that teachers were for learning and assumed that relatively affluent families were enriching or afterschooling. Many were from cultures where learning was a priority and shared suggested resources (if you've read Teach Like Your Hair is On Fire, you would recognize some of the things they did should I have the time to list) and designed unit studies and projects where students could learn as much as they wanted. However, the politics of full inclusion were forced on them about 8 years ago, and that meant that enrichment and grouping by instructional need were cancelled. Core basic was allthat could be taught. Activities that cost the family money -- such as science fair, could no longer be done. No more recognition for academic excellence; instead awards for effort were given. Of course, unchallenged students could not demonstrate effort, so 'advantaged' children that entered already knowing the core basic curriculum received no attaboys. I'd say the pendulum is swinging in your area, and is in the No Child Gets Ahead position rather than A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats.

To keep child from sharing..my kids were socially savvy at that age & we are in a diverse school district. They had classmates who were pre-tutored & bragged about their resulting superiority; they saw the reaction from the disadvantaged and chose not to say anything about their own interests until they found like minds.

The educator's answer here to 'what should a parent do when kid asks to be taught millions etc' is to teach them if they can't read, or direct them to use their resources if they can. The K-2 teachers my children had each had a Childcraft How & Why set in the classroom as a resource.

Here the parents do it but we're not supposed to talk about it. Neither are the kids. It's too elitest for this very casual city.

I am not afraid to share any of it, and I am involved as I need to be with the teacher. I email or show up whenever I feel like I need some "face time". I know dd tells her we do stuff at home. My dd's teacher loves it because it makes her job easier in many ways. Dd's school completely ability groups, so my dd is grouped with kids at her level. They challenge each other and work on different activities from the rest of the class. There are three ability groups I believe. Some receive additional support above and beyond the ability grouping.

Also my dd's grades are completely based on what she can demonstrate on her assessments. She does not receive grades for homework or "effort". Just her weekly assessment that really show what she knows. I love this - its an accurate portrayal of her abilities.