Menu

Give me your BEST hummus recipe...ingredients and the how-to

Drain 2 large cans (because we eat a lot of hummus) of garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid.

Dump the beans into the food processor, add a couple (or 4) cloves of garlic, sort of hacked up.

Add a soup spoon of tahini, a healthy squirt of lemon juice, then whir it for a while. Drizzle in a little olive oil and toasted sesame oil while whirring. Taste. Add salt, pepper, whatever mix-ins you'd like, to taste. Whir some more, drizzling in some of the reserved liquid to loosen it up.

Sorry, I don't really "recipe". Even my husband (not a cook, but learning) does it like this, though. He likes roasted red pepper or black olive.

I actually prefer to cook dried beans in my pressure cooker and go from there, but cans are handy in a pinch.

This is my favorite hummus recipe.

I use annie's goddess dressing and it is wonderful, my kids devour it !

I serve it as a spread on pita bread with veggie stuffings or as a dip with wheat crackers.

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans

1/4 cup annie organic goddess salad dressing

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

1. 1
    Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
  2. 2
    Process until smooth.
  3. 3
    Adjust consistency by adding more dressing, or canned bean liquid.

I also love to add roasted red peppers, but that is to taste.

Edited by Momma2Many66
sorry fixed it

My recipe is similar to a previous posters:

2 cans drained (and sometimes rinsed) Bush's Garbanzo Beans

Mix in Cuisinart with metal blade and as many cloves of peeled garlic as desired (I use 2-4)

Add plain old canola oil maybe up to around a 1/4 cup until beans reach almost the right consistency then add juice of 1-2 lemons. (Add your liquids based on consistency and taste not quantity.)

Process until smooth.

Add any other ingredients as desired to the base ie roasted red peppers, other hot peppers, etc. Adjust any liquids as needed if they are watery ingredients.

I have often disliked commercially prepared hummus and my MIL's recipe above omits the tahini which gives a bit of a smoky or (IMHO) off flavor. But hey-if you like it add a tablespoon or so before adding the oil.

I usually serve it sprinkled with paprika.

(Had a great version once that used part olive oil and part olive oil steeped with hot peppers for the canola. Need to love the heat though.)

I'm sorry, but you have to cook the beans it's important. Do it ahead of time (they freeze well) to save time, or crockpot them overnight after soaking.

2 cups dried chickpeas

6 cups water

3 1/2 teaspoons salt (divided)

2 tablespoons fresh parsley

2tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup tahini

1 tablespoons ground cumin (use as little as 1/2 teaspoon if your not a fan)

Wash and soak chickpeas (quick soak or overnight)

Drain, rinse, add water and bring to a boil. Cook til soft (1-2 hours or pressure cook them much faster). Add 3 teaspoons salt and cook an additional 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserve water, let chickpeas cool.

In a food processor, blender, or with a potato masher, combine chickpeas with I cup of the cooking water, remaining salt, and remaining ingredients. Blend, mash, or process to YOUR desired consistency.

If you want it super smooth, it will take a little more water. I tend to use a food processor and reserve about 1/2 cup chickpeas to mix in/garnish the dish. You can also drizzle a smidgen of olive oil on top and dust with paprika or cumin if you want.

This recipe is versatile. Add what you like. More or less lemon. Cilantro instead of parsley. Whatever.

It makes 6 cups. If that's overkill for you, only use half or 1/3 of the chickpeas and make it in batches. Freeze the extra chickpeas.

:iagree:This is how I make it too.

Drain 2 large cans (because we eat a lot of hummus) of garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid.

Dump the beans into the food processor, add a couple (or 4) cloves of garlic, sort of hacked up.

Add a soup spoon of tahini, a healthy squirt of lemon juice, then whir it for a while. Drizzle in a little olive oil and toasted sesame oil while whirring. Taste. Add salt, pepper, whatever mix-ins you'd like, to taste. Whir some more, drizzling in some of the reserved liquid to loosen it up.

Sorry, I don't really "recipe". Even my husband (not a cook, but learning) does it like this, though. He likes roasted red pepper or black olive.

I actually prefer to cook dried beans in my pressure cooker and go from there, but cans are handy in a pinch.

Thanks all! What happens if you don't cook them? Not from-the-can and drained to food processor?

If you don't cook dried chickpeas they are hard as rocks. Canned chickpeas are precooked, so you can have hummus in minutes, but they lose flavor and half their nutrients in the canning process.

I generally cook an entire bag of chickpeas at once and freeze the extras for future hummus, falafel, salads, or soups. Sometimes they're labeled as garbonzo beans or kabuli chana. Don't be fooled by the size of the bag. Chickpeas triple in size when cooked. You can pressure cook them, or let them cook overnight in the slow cooker (after soaking) to make the process easier.

Even from a can, though, I think homemade is much tastier than purchased hummus.

RED PEPPER HUMMUS:

EITHER: cut one very large or two-three smaller red peppers into large pieces, remove stem and seeds. Put in glass dish, spray with canola oil. Roast in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. While you're doing that, prep the rest.

OR: use peppers from a jar of roasted red peppers.

2 large cloves garlic, whiz in processor.

Add:

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons-ish of tahini

juice of half a large lemon (remove seeds!) (roll on counter before cutting to maximize juice!)

salt - about 1/2 tsp?

Whiz.

Add red peppers, whiz. (I like to do the peppers separate, so you get small bits of them throughout.)

I try not to add additional oil, because I don't need the extra calories. Of course, more oil = better taste and better texture. So it's a trade-off. If you want it smoother, add canola or olive oil as needed.

If you don't cook dried chickpeas they are hard as rocks. Canned chickpeas are precooked, so you can have hummus in minutes, but they lose flavor and half their nutrients in the canning process.

I generally cook an entire bag of chickpeas at once and freeze the extras for future hummus, falafel, salads, or soups. Sometimes they're labeled as garbonzo beans or kabuli chana. Don't be fooled by the size of the bag. Chickpeas triple in size when cooked. You can pressure cook them, or let them cook overnight in the slow cooker (after soaking) to make the process easier.

Even from a can, though, I think homemade is much tastier than purchased hummus.

Very good point. I'm kind of a health nut....not with everything, but with quite a bit. Soak? For how long? Then slow cook overnight...got that part. PLMK. Thanks!

RED PEPPER HUMMUS:

EITHER: cut one very large or two-three smaller red peppers into large pieces, remove stem and seeds. Put in glass dish, spray with canola oil. Roast in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. While you're doing that, prep the rest.

OR: use peppers from a jar of roasted red peppers.

2 large cloves garlic, whiz in processor.

Add:

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons-ish of tahini

juice of half a large lemon (remove seeds!) (roll on counter before cutting to maximize juice!)

salt - about 1/2 tsp?

Whiz.

Add red peppers, whiz. (I like to do the peppers separate, so you get small bits of them throughout.)

I try not to add additional oil, because I don't need the extra calories. Of course, more oil = better taste and better texture. So it's a trade-off. If you want it smoother, add canola or olive oil as needed.

YES! I forgot to mention red pepper...love that too! I do not need the calories either, but olive oil is good oil and actually it's healthier to consume "raw" (unheated) oil. So, I may go ahead and have some...there, that's my excuse!!!!!!! :lol:

I must agree with Kung Fu Panda, canned beans are not ideal. Not awful, will do in a "pinch", but not optimal.

You also need olive oil (not canola), tahini, and lemon juice. Garlic is controversial. It may need a little water to thin. Some will season with roasted ground cumin, zaatar, pepper, and/or salt.

If you rub the skins off home cooked dried beans the texture is much better than leaving the skins on prior to grinding.

Bill

Cut and paste from my blog

Hummus ~

This recipe is a true art that you have to experiment with for texture, taste and over all appeal.

2 cans chick peas, drained and reserve the fluid (I prefer to use dried chickpeas soaked overnight then cooked, if I have time.)

4-8 cloves garlic (depending on size and love of garlic)

4 tbl olive oil

4tbl tahini (you can substitute peanut or another nut butter)

1 tsp lime juice

1tbl sumac (can use paprika)

salt to taste after blending

additional yummies you can add in the blender:

sundried tomatoes

greek olives

roasted red peppers

Throw everything in a food processor or blender then slowly add the reserved chick pea fluid and blend until the desired consistency, then add salt to taste. If you throw in olives, you might not need any salt. If you don’t add any yummies, you might need up to a tablespoon. Traditionally people add oil for the right consistency, but that would mean about a cup for me, way too much fat and expensive since you use high quality extra virgin olive oil.

I know it is controversial (:D) but you can actually make black bean hummus too. Some say it isn't really hummus, just a black bean dip, but either way it is very tasty. I think the black bean flavor goes better with cilantro or jalapeno than does the traditional chickpea flavor.

I know it is controversial (:D) but you can actually make black bean hummus too. Some say it isn't really hummus, just a black bean dip, but either way it is very tasty. I think the black bean flavor goes better with cilantro or jalapeno than does the traditional chickpea flavor.

Pass the bean dip :D

Bill

I use basic ingredients, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, salt, pepper, and then I add my secret ingredient: toasted cumin seeds. You dry fry them in a clean cast iron skillet until brown, then mash with the back of a teaspoon, or even crumble between your fingers. This is also good sprinkled over thick slices of cucumber, which you can use as a dipper if you don't want bread or wheat.

I must agree with Kung Fu Panda, canned beans are not ideal. Not awful, will do in a "pinch", but not optimal.

You also need olive oil (not canola), tahini, and lemon juice. Garlic is controversial. It may need a little water to thin. Some will season with roasted ground cumin, zaatar, pepper, and/or salt.

If you rub the skins off home cooked dried beans the texture is much better than leaving the skins on prior to grinding.

Bill

And by 'controversial,' he means 'absolutely essential.'

I also think it's a good idea to double the cumin in most recipes, but unlike garlic, this truly is optional :D

What's the most any of you'all have made at once? It seems to go like crazy here. I did four batches this week and froze in 1/2 batch tubs, but I don't think it's going to last long. Any tips for bulk production?

I grind the salt, garlic and lemon juice together in the "one cup coffee grinder" attachment to an oster blender, put the chickpea and water in the cuisinart (just the CPs make a machine-damaging paste), then blend in the garlic/lemon mix and THEN tahini (which also stiffens).

You could also chop up the garlic with the salt and some lemon juice in a BraunStick Prep attachment.

Garlic is essential.

(Best store-bought hummus ever = Bobbi's Garlic Hummus Nothing else is even close.)

:iagree: I use a lot of garlic in mine! :D

I also probably shouldn't say I put garlic in mine. :leaving:

:lol:

And by 'controversial,' he means 'absolutely essential.'

I also think it's a good idea to double the cumin in most recipes, but unlike garlic, this truly is optional :D

I won't say that I never put garlic in mine, because sometimes I do, because I think most people (most American people anyways) prefer it with garlic.

However....(didn't you know there was going to be a "however?" :D) I will tell you this:

When I was a young University student I became very close friends with two lovely and highly intelligent young women (cousins) from Jordon who studied at near-by Mills College in Oakland (a highly regarded Womens College).

In the course of our friendship their mothers came from Jordon for a long visit. In no time I became very close to older women and I spent hours cooking very eloborate meals having great conversations the whole time. We cooked everything form "scratch" (as if there was any other way. And it went on for hours and hours and hours. Over weeks, and weeks.

This women were first-rate home cooks. Amazing, delicious food. And I made notes. Mental notes and literal notes in a journal I treasure.

These women insisted on no garlic in the hummus!

Was this because the were some sort of anti-garlic people? No. They used garlic in many dishes.

They just did not consider garlic in the hummus as traditional to their culture. They felt adding garlic overwhelmed the taste of the dish. The hummus became about the garlic. It makes it "bean dip."

They felt one should taste the balance between the earthy-sweet taste of the chickpeas, the bite of good olive oil, the tang of lemon juice and a base-note of tahinah (which they used sparingly).

They sometimes used herbs and spices for a twist (sumac, za'atar, cumin, paprika, parsley, etc) but even these were done very lightly so as not to overwhelm the dish. They felt one should be able to taste the subtle deliciousness of fresh cooked chickpeas.

I agree.

When I go to parties I generally add fresh garlic. My hummus is in demand. I think most people prefer it that way. But for myself (and select friends with good taste:tongue_smilie:) the hummus is prepared the way my Jordanian Aunties taught me thirty years ago.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Ahhh, that's where the problem lies. I was taught to make hummus by Egyptian and Lebanese cooks. They introduced us to Middle Eastern cooking. They put garlic in EVERYHING . . . the lamb, falafel, tabouli, and definitely the hummus. They graciously left it out of the baklava and the stuff that looks like cream-of-wheat bars (I can NEVER remember what it's called) but it went into everything else.

I'd argue that when you're USED to garlic, it's not remotely overpowering in small amounts. A clove of garlic is such a minuscule amount in an entire bowl of hummus. One itty bitty clove can't overpower a thing. I will fight for my right to garlic and can't help notice it's absence if someone leaves it out or tries to use the powdered stuff.