Menu

your fav phonics work book?

momma aimee

Looking to add a Phonics 'work book' -- I have looked at MCP either Kindy or Level A.

I have looked at ETC book 1 and 1.5

I'd like to start with short vowels; maybe a quick review of begging and ending sounds -- but not "Circle the pictures that start with an A" (my 4 yo is there, not my almost 6 yo kindy boy).

wondering what other families have liked --

Looking to add a work book just to be sure I am 'coming at all angles' with the foundations, to make him think about OUT PUT as well as IN PUT.

We like ETC. It's not "circle the one with the sound" stuff, though there is circle the right word things. Just so you know, the half levels cover the exact same material as the others, so 1 and 1.5 will be just different pages on the exact same stuff. It's better to get the whole levels because they articulate the rule at the top of the lesson and give an example whereas the half levels assume you've already had that (though it's easy enough to teach it yourself instead).

I like ETC. Your 4 year old could do the get ready series (which is color the stuff that begins with a letter). The 6 year old could do ETC1. It has silly sentences and silly pictures that make it harder to guess the correct answer without actually reading. ;)

I like ETC. Your 4 year old could do the get ready series (which is color the stuff that begins with a letter). The 6 year old could do ETC1. It has silly sentences and silly pictures that make it harder to guess the correct answer without actually reading. ;)

oh i like that he is a good guesser -- even working out rhymes to guess rather than read LOL

We were really pleased with ETC. When my 4 year old finished with the 3 Get ready for the Code books we did have to work a bit on blending before we started with ETC1 but it only took a couple of week using the letter train cars from Phonic Pathways and he was ready to go.

Memoria Press First Start phonics with MP Classical Phonics. Best thing I have found. Book D will be out this spring and cover long vowels.

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/first-start-reading.html

ETC was confusing trying to figure out the pictures and waay too much writing. I am inclined to think it has been changed over the years as my oldest used ETC and it was not the way it is now.