Menu

Choose Your Own Adventure books

nov05mama

Not sure if everyone is aware, but the fun Choose Your Own Adventure books from when we were kids (well, at least when some of us were, lol) are available now for the younger crowd...

http://www.cyoa.com/collections/1st-grade

The link above goes to the 1st grade choices, but you can click on 'shop by reading level' and it has more choices in the drop menu!

We have gotten several at the library already and he's been reading them like crazy!! He LOVES them!!

ALSO, Zulily has them on sale right now as sets and they are a pretty good deal! We ordered one of the sets already and may order another set before the sale is over on Monday!

I loved those as a kid. LOVED. They are so much fun.

Anyone who has kids that like these might also want to check out interactive novels. They're text-based computer programs that are a lot like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, but much more interactive. A lot of them are older and can be downloaded for free. Castle Ralf is my favorite. :D

I gave these to my ds for Christmas last year. He was 6. He took to them well, but the ending were really lousy according to him. I had to agree! I love that they made these for the younger crowd, but I didn't find them to be well-written at all.

I gave these to my ds for Christmas last year. He was 6. He took to them well, but the ending were really lousy according to him. I had to agree! I love that they made these for the younger crowd, but I didn't find them to be well-written at all.

My DS would agree...he doesn't "LOVE" the story lines, but he does, however, think it's pretty darn cool that he has 10+ options for how the story progresses, LOL! They are definitely not award winning writing by any means...just a fun way to read a book :P

Our library system actually has pretty much all of the books available...I figured they would have the 'older' ones but they have the new(er) early elementary ones too, so definitely check there to see if your library has them!

They're definitely not well written. I don't think they're any worse than a lot of other things though and the kids think they're fun.

The older set has some hilarious topics though. They're all stuff like zombies, mountain climbing (that leads to death), and legendary monsters (that kill you). I had forgotten how horror driven they all are.

They're definitely not well written. I don't think they're any worse than a lot of other things though and the kids think they're fun.

The older set has some hilarious topics though. They're all stuff like zombies, mountain climbing (that leads to death), and legendary monsters (that kill you). I had forgotten how horror driven they all are.

Are the younger ones like that??

Many of these types of books are also available for the Kindle. For slightly older kids who like fantasy & magic, you might look at the Fighting Fantasy books - there are old paperback ones, and some of them are also on Kindle. My 11 YO DD and I have been working our way through Deathtrap Dungeon - it IS different from the Choose Your Own Adventures, there is only ONE way to really win, and it's HARD to find that way, also there are combats and skill challenges where you have to roll dice to get certain scores to do well, so it is more like a game in a lot of ways. But, they are pretty fun for the older kids! http://www.amazon.com/Deathtrap-Dungeon/dp/B005B1EA04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318247142&sr=8-3

Are the younger ones like that??

No. I think there's a haunted house one, but the ones my kids had were about a robot and a sand castle.

I remember the ones Angela had as well. And there was another series where they let kids go into famous kids books - I remember one I read where you went into Voyage if the Dawn Treader, of all things.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but the fun Choose Your Own Adventure books from when we were kids (well, at least when some of us were, lol) are available now for the younger crowd...

http://www.cyoa.com/collections/1st-grade

The link above goes to the 1st grade choices, but you can click on 'shop by reading level' and it has more choices in the drop menu!

We have gotten several at the library already and he's been reading them like crazy!! He LOVES them!!

ALSO, Zulily has them on sale right now as sets and they are a pretty good deal! We ordered one of the sets already and may order another set before the sale is over on Monday!

Zulily has them all sold out....I am bummed...just curious...what was the sale price?