Menu

Co-op reading level issues. What would you do?

Just curious for some input especially if anyone has experienced something similar. What should we do if becomes apparent that some students are a couple to several grades below their current grade reading level? Unfortunately it was discovered during class time and was poor enough to be alarming. We definitely do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings, but what can be done to help these students? Suggestions anyone? Thank you.

Is there a reason you believe the homeschooling parent is unaware of the reading issues? Are you sure they aren't being addressed by the parent? Is the parent asking for help?

Can the curriculum be adapted so a child behind in reading won't be embarrassed? I hope the children weren't already embarrassed?

edited to add: I see the ages are older than I thought when replying for some kids. Are these all the same family?

Our co-op has a parent who was wonderful enough to offer tutoring in reading to anyone who wants it. She sent the email to the parents (not the kids).

Depending on the class I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but if it is imperative for the students to be able to read well then I would gently pull the parents aside and ask if they think ___ class at that hour might be a better fit.

One thing might be to ask the parent to volunteer in the classroom under some pretext, and have the kids take turns reading aloud. If a child is making steady progress, a parent can really be unaware that they are not at the same skill level as other children. This would make that clear without a confrontation.

Personally, whenever I taught a lit coop, I tried to make it work for multi-level kids of the same general age. I would separate the reading and writing skills from the analysis and discussion ones. It meant that I had to give up the opportunity to do in class writing, but since we were only meeting once a week, I thought it was far more important to have discussions and analysis as a group.

Functionally the way this worked out was that if I assigned writing I would email the parents the assignment and suggest that they work with their children on whatever level they were at. All they had to do was bring in the finished work--it could be dictated to the parent, written with the parent, or written independently. And the outside reading, which comprised most of the homework, could be read to the child, read with the child, or read independently by the child, right on up through about 6th or 7th grade. I found, though, that in the later years (maybe 5th and up or so), parents would only bring their children to my groups if they were avid readers or if the parents themselves were avid readers, so they sort of self-selected for better skills levels. I never viewed the classes I gave as core curriculum, but more as enhancements to whatever the parents were doing with their children at home.

I teach 2 co-op science classes. One at the lower elementary and one at the upper elementary level. I work under the assumption that the parent knows where their child is at and no action is needed from me. In class, I modify as needed. We don't do a lot of reading (mostly activity based), but my upper class does some writing. I have them journal at their level. I ask for a written summary or labeled illustrations, but other than glancing over their work, I don't grade it. Some of the kids write full page summaries, others write 1 sentence. I'm ok with either, as long as they put effort into it.

I have a similar problem. I am teaching a Shakespeare class. We read aloud every class. I have one student who has very poor read aloud skills. He did read ahead this past week amd that helped him a little. I hope that by doing weekly read alouds his skills will improve.

Are their learning disabilities? Read aloud level can be vastly different from silent reading level. If the kids never read aloud at home, they will have trouble in class. Could you gently suggest they practice reading aloud at home?

I actually don't know the families well yet, so I really don't know what their thoughts are. That's the rub. (The in-class oral reading isn't a requirement but merely an attempt to get everyone 'engaged' in class.) The suggestion to enlist a parent to help in class to observe might be a gently way, but I was thinking that homeschooling families would already be aware of where their children's strengths and weaknesses were?? Perhaps they are working on it and have forgotten to tell the teachers? If there is no LD-type issue wouldn't it be alarming if a 7th or 11th grader couldn't read aloud at a 4th grade level? But I suppose if it didn't alarm the parent...... Just don't know. Delicate issue. Any other thoughts?

I sympathize. We've joined a new co-op this year and have participated in another for a few years. I was shocked to discover the wide variances in our new group this year. For instance, I teach a 5-6th grade science class and during an experiment we needed to do a simple calculation that involved 2 digit by 2 digit multiplication. More than 3/4ths of my class of 16 students could not do this. I was alarmed! I could certainly understand if one or two students needed some help, but several didn't even know how to attempt to do the problem. I've dealt with it by modifying our assignments a bit. Many students complete little or none of the assignments or reading at home. Several did not purchase their books until several weeks in. My own children do seem to be getting a positive benefit from theirclasses though. The teachers seem to have adequate expectations, just aren't rigid about holding students accountable to a certain standard.

The co-op that I've been part of for the last few years is much more uniform. Most students are slightly to significantly above average achievers. This co-op does a more careful job of interviewing and requires more parental involvement. They are smaller and selective and tend to accept families that will be a close match with the group already in place.

The one similarity between the two groups is that both are highly focused on hands on activities during instructional time. Reading and writing assignments would strictly be done at home. Perhaps you could find other activities to do during class?

One thing that can help is to encourage partnerships between kids. For example, my DD (who has a ridiculously high reading level, but age appropriate motor skills) does a older elementary science class, and her lab partner is 12 and has dyslexia. They quickly worked it out where DD reads the instructions and records data and the other child does most of the physical set up-and they're both able to be successful and avoid frustration. (They also both have a real love for mythology and fantasy, so they've ended up being a good pairing overall).

I would speak with the parents to discuss the child's comfort in the class and his/her access to the content when reading is a struggle. Asking the parent how to work with his/her child respects the parent's role and conveys the necessary message. It will also help you decide how to manage the class.

I've had kids at various levels come to a co-op class with very different reading levels. Never highschool, though.

I would point out, too, that reading aloud is a skill and, as homeschoolers, one that may just simply not have been practiced very much. It may have little to do with actual literacy.

I am that parent who sent my child to your co-op class, and my child is very far behind in his reading ability.

I am WELL aware of his issues, thank you.

I actually do expect that as this is a homeschooling co-op, and don't most homeschoolers know that we all homeschool for various reasons, and didn't it occur to you that perhaps this is WHY this child is homeschooled, so that his issue can be dealt with one on one, in hopes of fast-tracking improvement, if possible. (okay, and that was all horrible grammar and sentence structure, I completely get that but in a hurry and can't think of a better way to state it at thistime).

So with all of those thoughts jumbling around, I choose classes that will interest my son, but that are also not going to be an issue with his very poor reading if possible. My son is only 8, so many co-op classes are still geared to the "fun" side of life, not so much homework, reading etc.

I think you mentioned your classes were middle school or high school, though, so perhaps "fun class" are not options at this point, I mean, it's more about pure education at this point in the game.

I did email his teachers, letting him know that he is dyslexic, has very poor reading abilitities, so please take that into consideration during class. For example, please do not ask him to read aloud. Even if it is something he can read, he would likely freeze up and then not be able to read it. Please do not hand him a paper and ask him to read the directions to himself, just take a minute to explain it to him. That type of stuff.

Also, what is helpful to me is to get a syllabus, and knowledge of what is being done in class BEFORE it is being done, or at least the syllabus for the semester. If I know they will talk about this or that,

I can prep my son, and do extra work with him at home, so he is ready and capable for your class. But if I don't get anything from you, no notes, no schedule or syllabus, I don't know what to help him with, to help your class go easier.

As the parent of the child who reading issues, I would not be offended to get an email from you stating that you noticed DS has trouble with reading, and you asking if there is anything/accommodations you could make to help him in class. I wouldn't expect HUGE accommodations, but just those things I mentioned would be nice.

You can't really help the child with their reading issue on the 60 minutes of class time, but you could help the 60 minutes of class time go easier for the student.

Thank you, Samiam, for your input. I am sorry for the angst I apparently caused; it wasn't intended. Thank you for sharing what would be helpful for a teacher to do in this situation. That is what I was hoping to discover. You are right; there are many different reasons why a family chooses to homeschool. And I shouldn't have assumed anything. In our case, though, we weren't given that extra information that would have prevented a situation where the student was embarrasssed. We wouldn't knowingly put a student in that kind of situation. Hence my wondering about what to do. Thank you for offering what would be helpful for you to hear. Absolutely yes, the goal is definitely to help each student have as positive experience in a class as possible and learn as much as possible in the time we have available. Asking the parents for suggestions and providing information on where the class is headed are great ideas too. Thanks again.

I just wanted to add that I think it's very different if the issue is elementary school or high school. Early elementary school has a pretty wide range of "on level" for reading. What one person thinks of as being "average" 3rd grade reading may be absurdly easy or absurdly difficult depending on the kid. I think anyone teaching a class for 1-4th grades just has to be prepared for the fact that there's a wide range of reading abilities and to assume that the parents are aware of them and also that there may be issues, but there also may not be and the family may just be working at a slower pace, taking cues from the kid. It's not something I would bring up with parents. Any elementary school co-op class that relies heavily on reading where it's not clearly mentioned ahead of time seems like poor planning to me.

But an 11th grader who can't read 4th grade level material? That's another story. I would assume the parents know and, like a pp said, just say, hey little Jenny seems to be having trouble reading aloud, what do you suggest.

In our case, though, we weren't given that extra information that would have prevented a situation where the student was embarrasssed.

I think that is the key, communication between parents and teachers. If the class will have reading out loud, then as the teacher I would put that in the welcome letter and ask parents to let me know of any learning disabilities or other information that needs to be considered for their child to succeed. Obviously you are trying not to make anyone feel bad, but if you don't know what to expect, then you cannot work around things. I have a 2nd grader who cannot read cat consistently, and I make sure that his teachers know that to avoid embarrassment for either of them. I know it is painful for the teacher to watch my son struggle too, and they don't want him to be afraid to come to class over his reading.

Perhaps at this point you could email the parents and let them know what to expect each week, and try to keep reading aloud to a minimum. Can you take volunteers to read? Some kids love to read out loud, and they will volunteer often. My dd is one of those kids lol.

I am that parent who sent my child to your co-op class, and my child is very far behind in his reading ability.

I am WELL aware of his issues, thank you.

I actually do expect that as this is a homeschooling co-op, and don't most homeschoolers know that we all homeschool for various reasons, and didn't it occur to you that perhaps this is WHY this child is homeschooled, so that his issue can be dealt with one on one, in hopes of fast-tracking improvement, if possible. (okay, and that was all horrible grammar and sentence structure, I completely get that but in a hurry and can't think of a better way to state it at thistime).

So with all of those thoughts jumbling around, I choose classes that will interest my son, but that are also not going to be an issue with his very poor reading if possible. My son is only 8, so many co-op classes are still geared to the "fun" side of life, not so much homework, reading etc.

I think you mentioned your classes were middle school or high school, though, so perhaps "fun class" are not options at this point, I mean, it's more about pure education at this point in the game.

I did email his teachers, letting him know that he is dyslexic, has very poor reading abilitities, so please take that into consideration during class. For example, please do not ask him to read aloud. Even if it is something he can read, he would likely freeze up and then not be able to read it. Please do not hand him a paper and ask him to read the directions to himself, just take a minute to explain it to him. That type of stuff.

Also, what is helpful to me is to get a syllabus, and knowledge of what is being done in class BEFORE it is being done, or at least the syllabus for the semester. If I know they will talk about this or that,

I can prep my son, and do extra work with him at home, so he is ready and capable for your class. But if I don't get anything from you, no notes, no schedule or syllabus, I don't know what to help him with, to help your class go easier.

As the parent of the child who reading issues, I would not be offended to get an email from you stating that you noticed DS has trouble with reading, and you asking if there is anything/accommodations you could make to help him in class. I wouldn't expect HUGE accommodations, but just those things I mentioned would be nice.

You can't really help the child with their reading issue on the 60 minutes of class time, but you could help the 60 minutes of class time go easier for the student.

between a parent that lets the instructors and helpers know what issues their child has before the class begins and one that doesn't let the instructors and helpers know and just lets them find out on the fly. You sound like a wonderful parent that does just that. the OP didn't sound like she got that same courtesy. I teach a coop class and knowing before the semester starts what modifications I may have to make for whatever reason seems the polite thing to do. I don't assume anything about anyone. If a child needs some accomidations-the people dealing with said kiddo should have receive the common courtesy of finding out ahead of time.

Learning Grace,

I wasn't offended or hurt, truly.

I was in a hurry earlier today, and my previous post came out garbled and with a tone of being "upset".

I was really just trying to show the parent's view of it, as to why a student might come to class and seem as if they were behind, as well as good ways to help without hurting feelings or causing "stress" in the co-op family.

The thing is, even though I was relating my own DS8's story, and your student is in high-school, once dyslexic, always dyslexic (or whatever learning disability is going on there). That stuff doesn't just go away. It can be adapted, and often overcome, or worked around. But it's still there, and can rear it's ugly head at any point in life. Around here, at WTM forums, we hear over and over, a Mom coming here, worrying about their young child's reading, or lack thereof, and what can be done, and how to help. We even occasionally get the post here and there of some happy Mom whose child finally made it over that non-reading hump to actually being a reader. So I think it is easy to forget that that was just one hump, for those that might have more severe cases of dsylexia. There will be more humps in the road, and the road is long. That road will go through high school, and even into college.

So in the case of your student, I mean, his choice is to be in a class with his peers, although it might not be up to his level, or what? Be in a class of 4th graders, because that is his reading level?

It would have be nice for you if the parents have been proactive and had given you advance notice, so you could have been aware and able to approach it in a way to help the student. Unfortunately for you and the student, they didn't do that for some reason.

Hopefully if you approach them, just asking how you can help, they will be willing to share some ideas, so that the class is enjoyable for you and the student.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say I wasn't offended or hurt, or anything really, just was wanting to shed some light on the other side of the fence:D.