Menu

Strollers

I just had a time of it trying to decide on a new stroller. I have a Peg Perego and love it, but it's so darn heavy and we're going away on vacation.

I looked at McClaren strollers - liked the height of the handles (I'm tall), but didn't like the handle configuration (they're looped on the side, not a full bar across), so didn't go with it -- but they're smooth!

I opted to get a Britax B-Ready (until October 15th you get a free car seat, bassinet or jump seat that attaches to the stroller) - it was within the weight limit I wanted, looked great and also very smooth....huge basket too!....and no bar on the bottom, between the back wheels, to hit when I walk (I have a long stride).

My final options were: Britax B-Ready, Mia Moda Atmosferra, Maxi-Cosy Foray, UppaBaby Vista and First Years Wave.

We had a Maclaren Volo and LOVED it! This was one of 5 strollers I have owned and my all time favorite. They are sooooo light weight (about 7 lbs. I think) and have a shoulder strap to carry it (this happens more often then you may think). The canopy is extra large and while it has the feel of an umbrella, it still has a small basket underneath. But the best feature is the fact that the wheels are sooooo smooth!!!! My two cheapo umbrella strollers were hard to steer, but never the Maclaren. It also holds up to 50 lbs. so you can use it longer (although they need to be about 6 months to be big enough to start using it. If I were starting over I would buy the Maclaren (triumph?) that has a recline seat and can be used for a smaller baby too. But I can't say enough good things about Maclaren.

I was given a used MacLaren, and I know it was used for years before I received it. It holds up SO well. Very pleased.

That said, I also liked the Baby Jogger Citi Mini. Very nice stroller in between a jogger and umbrella. Loved the one hand fold. But my son w/low muscle tone and Down syndrome needed something more supportive, and so our Mac is a special needs stroller.

goodness, with your kids' ages, I'd go with a sit and stand. You can fit two or three of them on as necessary. We borrowed our neighbor's to take to the zoo and if we were keeping babies (our two youngest are going back to their mom at the end of the month) I'd definitely get a sit and stand. It was WONDERFUL with so many little kids who could take turns in it (we also took our peg perego).

Our Maclaren Triumph just bit the dust after 6 years of faithful service, most of them on the bumpy streets of NYC. Last week one of the metal pieces underneath just gave out -- there's no way to fix it and getting it repaired by a Maclaren retailer would be more expensive then a new stroller, so we are in the market for a stroller, too. (The poor baby was actually in the stroller at the time and toppled to the ground. He was MAD but, thankfully, just fine.)

In general, I liked the Triumph well enough but didn't love it. We are more babywearing people than stroller people, so that might be part of it, but I did not like that (1) it tips backwards very easily if you hang too much on the back; (2) it is totally useless in the snow; and (3) you can't fit much in the basket underneath. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten something with pneumatic wheels.

The wheels and alignment also did not hold up all that well, although in fairness, we were brutally hard on that thing. I had the wheels replaced either two or three times (for $40 each time) over the life of the stroller. It is supposedly one-hand steering but as soon as the wheels started to wear down the alignment would get so off that it required two hands pretty much all the time.

On the up side, the stroller is extremely light and folds very easily.

I'll be interested to see the other replies since, as I mentioned upthread, we are also looking for a stroller, and I don't think we're going to get another Maclaren. Others have suggested the Uppababy G-Lite or G-Luxe to me, but I haven't investigated them yet.

If a double would be helpful, I'll second the sit and stand. We have a Joovy and it is really great. The older kid on the back can hop on and off as much as they want to. They can stand facing forward or backward. There is a carseat attachment for the front. My only complaint is that it doesn't have hard cupholders- they're like this stretchy material and my drink always bounces and spills.