Menu

French or Spanish?

Sahamamama

Which language should we study and why? Which do you study? What are the advantages of each language?

We live in New Jersey, so we have opportunities to practice both (Haitians and West Africans who speak French, Latin Americans who speak Spanish).

My husband and I both took several years of French in school, so we can pretty much get by with that. However, we both prefer Spanish and think it's a bit more practical around here.

What's the rational for one over the other, if there is any? Thanks!

because dc started it at a private school and wanted to continue. If I had to do it again without the headstart spanish, because there are more elementary resources and access to native speakers. I have no facility with either language so I must find resources that can be done without me. We aren't learning together because they had a 4 year head start. So, learning together is unrealistic.

Dd and I do Latin together and I will improve on my abominal performance as a Latin teacher next year. Ds was too far ahead in Latin as well. When he as home in early elementary we did Latin together, but in school he got too far ahead.

Dh at first wanted Spanish, but was happy the school had something. Dh is now suggesting ds consider Canadian Univerisities (in Quebec)--yes, ds is that far along in his facility as an 8th grader that it is not unreasonable to consider he would be able to do this in 4 years.

I just think fluency in a second language is extremely important. If it turns out later that ds needs Spanish, it will not be hard for him to master. ds and dd are obviously gifted in this area (dh's side of family, not mine). Spanish and French are closely related so learning another after mastering one is typically not hard.

I would choose the language for which you have the best access to resources and do everything you can to support it.

We have done a little of both. We know live where there is a lot of French heritage and it helps just to know how to pronounce names. IMO, Spanish is more practically at a national level.

I took several years of Spanish in high school and have found that that knowledge makes it easier to learn French.

Well, I spent some time in Spain in college and Spanish is my minor. I used to be almost fluent (not anymore!). Dh studied French in high school. I never enjoyed learning French...the reason I chose Spanish. The accent was easier for me. My dd11 wanted to learn Spanish b/c at our church, there is a large Hispanic community and even a Spanish service. There's a lot more opportunity for us to practice Spanish than French. So, I chose Spanish w/ the blessing of my dh. I purchased the Auralog Spanish through the Buyer's Co-op (again, w/ the blessing of my dh!) and can't wait to brush up on my own Spanish while dd11 learns, too!

I had planned to do French because I had some French in high school and college (though I don't remember much of anything), and because in my own reading I come across French more.

However, my husband suddenly came out with a surprise preference that we do Spanish. We have Spanish speaking neighbors and his niece, who lives a couple of miles awy, is an elementary school Spanish teacher and my nephew is in school with a Spanish education major.

I'm starting Spanish this summer, using Galore Park among other things. My son will start with Galore Park in the fall.

Now that I've started, I'm kind of excited about it. I think we have a better chance of becoming something like fluent with Spanish TV and radio and our other resources.

I still want my French back, so I plan to get to a reading level on my own in the future.

I wanted to add what How to Learn Any Language, by Fabor, has to say about both languanges:

French: After English, French is the world's most popular second language. French lies in the middle range of difficulty to learn. The grammar is mercifully simple, but correct pronunciation with a decent French accent is hard to achieve.

Spanish: A natural second language for Americans. Easier for Americans to speak good Spanish than good French. A more phonetic language. Not as many silent letters. Correct Spanish pronunciation is less difficult. Grammar is similar to French.

My big picture plan is to eventually do both.

But we're starting with Spanish.

I struggled with the choice because I think French is so beautiful (Spanish is too) and I also see it as a preservation somewhat of our heritage (Cajun). But I think in the big picture Spanish is more important. So we're doing Spanish -- we actually started Rosetta Stone today!

My hope is that they'll be able to pick up a third language quickly after becoming fluent in a second.

I think that either language is fine, ask the kids what they are interested in. My DD wants French because Ii took it for several years and we have French ancestors. In reality, how often do you use the foreign language you studied? I am of the mindset that says study your interests on language, not something that seems popular in your area.

Hi,

We chose Spanish, it was my daughters first yr. in High School and because I knew quite a bit thought that was easier route. I gave her the choice. She wasnt too happy during because I corrected her a lot. Afterwards I think she would have chose French and that might be the advice she gives to her younger sis.

Now we do live in San Diego and Spanish is a big helper here, but I still like to leave it up to them.

Hope it helps,

jy

b/c so many americans are hispanic and this will be increasingly true in our childrens's lifetimes. A future career in the USA in the clergy, political office, healthcare, primary education, social service, etc virtually requires spanish competency IMHO. It'd also be very handy in many management positions in any service industry or any industry at all the employs entry level folks, b/c of immigration patterns.

How often will a child hear/use French in the USA? In the rest of the world? Same for Spanish?

How easy will it be to find opportunities to use or practice Spanish vs French?

For a USA kid, it's a No brainer, IMHO. If we were Canadian, maybe French would make some sense.

(And I learned French! I sure wish it was Spanish!)