Menu

Moldy cheese poll - Do you cut the mold off of cheese and eat it it?

Do you cut the mold off of cheese and eat the cheese?  

1. 1. Do you cut the mold off of cheese and eat the cheese?

• Yes, of course!
    • No, gross!

Of course.

It's perfectly safe and if you cut it off soon enough, it won't taste like it either.

Mold is in a lot of cheese on purpose, blue cheese jumps right to mind.

There is a Norwegian (I think) cheese whose name escapes me that is mostly mold. They age it about 20 years. It's a specialty for New Year's, according to my neighbors. Makes a perfect stinky cheese, to go with the book.

Of course.

It's perfectly safe and if you cut it off soon enough, it won't taste like it either.

Mold is in a lot of cheese on purpose, blue cheese jumps right to mind.

There is a Norwegian (I think) cheese whose name escapes me that is mostly mold. They age it about 20 years. It's a specialty for New Year's, according to my neighbors. Makes a perfect stinky cheese, to go with the book.

:iagree:

Unless, of course, it's that piece of cheese that accidentally got stuck way back in the back of the fridge and is now more mold than cheese, not by design but by accident ....

Um, it never occurred to me to cut the mold off of anything and then eat it. I'm absolutely shocked that it's the common thing to do. Who knew?

Well, moldly (hard) cheese is different than other moldy foods. I would not eat a slice of bread that had mold that I had cut off.

Here is some info:

Moldy Cheese

Moldy Bread, etc

I do eat hard cheese with the mold cut off, and of course moldy cheese in which the mold is intentional, but not other moldy foods.

Edited to add this link: USDA Mold Fact Sheet It's good to see our tax dollars at work doing something useful. lol

Well, moldly (hard) cheese is different than other moldy foods. I would not eat a slice of bread that had mold that I had cut off.

Here is some info:

Moldy Cheese

Moldy Bread, etc

I do eat hard cheese with the mold cut off, and of course moldy cheese in which the mold is intentional, but not other moldy foods.

Edited to add this link: USDA Mold Fact Sheet It's good to see our tax dollars at work doing something useful. lol

Thank you for posting this. A line from one of the links: "It is not okay to eat mouldy food even after the mold has been cut off, as surface mold is more than what you see. It actually has hyphae or roots which can penetrate deeper into the food."

See, I'd heard that before but I could no longer remember the source and thus, I was not sure if it was true. But this is a good reminder that it's not often safe to just cut off the moldy part.

Well... some cheeses like Brie or Camenbert are supposed to have moldy rinds... they call them "bloomy". Those I eat. Blue cheeses obviously have mold all the way through. You eat those. Hard cheeses I cut off the mold, soft cheeses are then spoiled (like chevre with mold--bad).

Here is some info:

Moldy Cheese

Moldy Bread, etc

Thanks, this entire thread is oddly interesting.

When I was pregnant with ds, I spent the night in the er thinking I was in labor after eating some goat cheese that was....off. Not moldy, didn't taste bad, but boy it did a number on me. Now I'm super paranoid woman about cheese that might be a little funky. But cheddar with a little mold? No problem. Of course, we eat cheese like candy around here, so that hasn't happened in a good long while.

What do they do about cheddar cheese that gets all flacid and slimy and greasy when it's left out. Do they like it that way?

Do the French eat Cheddar? I also see that as a British/Irish style. Yes, I would think it needs to be at a cooler temp ~40. I don't think any of them do well in the heat. :confused:

Slightly OT. I was at my local Whole Paycheque today, and they were sampling some kind of goats cheese ($35 for a small round!) that was completely covered in fuzzy grey mould. It looked horrible, but tasted great.

Are you sure that it wasn't grey ash? That's a traditional way of finishing goat cheese....sometimes it has a grey thread running through it , or a swirl. A good cheesemonger (yes, that's the word) would be able to tell you, but a Whole Foods employee may or may not know that much about it.

This is ash:

wi_cheese.jpg

So is this:

sybil2.jpg

As you can see, the ash coloring can vary wildly. As far as I know there are no soft goat cheeses that have grey mold on them. But I'm a cheese eater, not a cheesemonger.

Are you sure that it wasn't grey ash
That may have accounted for the colour, though it was more uniform that I remember seeing ash coated mouldy before. The rind on this cheese was fuzzy and fibrous, rather like fluffed up dryer lint. I'll check next time I go. It was expensive and boxed. Not sure where it was from; I usually only pay that kind of price for local artisan cheeses.