Menu

Thinking of pulling ds from Co-op Chemistry

Ok ladies, be honest with me...Can I teach Apologia Chemistry to my sophomore? He is in it at Co-op and he is really struggling. Why? Because the teacher has one hour to teach per week and she is covering a module per week. So, what really happens is that she assigns the module, they come to class having read it. She asks if there are any questions, and then they take a quiz. This leaves 10 min. for lecture for the next chapter.

She is a great teacher and a chemist. But, there is just not enough class time~ my son, who has never gotten below an A in a co-op class has taken 4 quizzes so far in the class 7/9, 7/9, 4/9, 4/9. I can't have him fail chemistry! And more importantly, he can't leave chemistry having learned nothing!

I didn't do well in high school chemistry - my first C. However, just last night, I taught myself how to balance a chemical equation by watching Khan Academy. Do you think if we do Apologia (starting over) and Khan Academy we will be ok? I am a dedicated and persistant teacher - we will get it done if we choose to by ourselves.

Shelly,

It sounds to me like you would do a better job working with your son on your own. I've learned/relearned lots of topics over my years of homeschooling so I could teach my children. I've also learned with (not ahead of) them in several areas. If you are willing to put in the work and your son is willing to work with you, then I'd say, "Go for it."

I've had my kids in several on-line/co-op classes over our years of homeschooling. Several have turned out great -- I thought the workload was realistic, feedback was quick, the teacher added a lot to the subject. Others have been just awful -- little to no feedback, teacher added nothing, etc. Fortunately as homeschoolers we have the freedom to make a change if we need to.

I agree with you that trying to cover one module of Chemistry/week is a fast pace for most kids. Using the one precious hour of class time/week for quizzes also doesn't seem like best use of that time.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Can't you have BOTH?

Apparently the teacher expects the students to spend time at home studying the textbook. If the class meets only for one hour per week, spending this precious time on questions rather than a narration of the text seems to me a wise use of class time because it uses directly the teacher's expertise and does not waste time on stuff the student could accomplish independently.

(Not sure how much time a quiz takes - can't be more than a few minutes?)

There is no way you can cover high school chemistry with one weekly lecture; she would get a fifth of the material done. He needs to plan to spend an hour a day on chem.

Can't you try to assist your son in working with the text at home, and then going to class prepared with questions to ask? IMO that would be the best of both worlds: you get to work with him at home, but he also has access to an expert who can answer questions and clarify concepts. If you have no chemistry background, I would be loath to give up this opportunity - unless your son feels incapable of keeping up with the pace.

At this point he is really only 3 weeks behind. Start with modules 4 and 1 this week, spend two hours a day on chemistry for 3 weeks. It will make the next few weeks tough, but he may catch on more quickly since it is a second run at the modules. I would not give up the class with the chemist to redo 3 weeks of work at home.

Talk to the teacher. See if the teacher will give you new copies of the quizzes to give at home, not for a sec.d chance at the grade, but so you can check his knowledge.

IMO a chapter a week is too fast for a co-op class. If you're working on your own, and your son is absorbing it quickly, that pace may be fine, but there are some later chapters which are quite long and involved and may take more time. I'm surprised she's not doing a chapter every two weeks. That would give her more time to teach. Is she doing any labs with them? Seems like a waste of class time to be taking a test. Maybe you could suggest she put that online?

If I were in that situation, I'd be dropping out and going back a few chapters to get mastery before moving on.

How much input do you have with the coop teacher? If everyone is doing poorly, then demand that she take two weeks per module.

Dd did Apologia Chemistry last year with VSHG (virtualhomeschoolgroup.com). Even with that group doing a module every two weeks, that was too fast for her. Ds and I did the same course several years ago (just us, no help) and it even took him about 2 1/2 weeks per module. Some of the modules are tough and difficult to get through.

Since you are familiar with chemistry, I say it is very doable to go at your own pace at home. (It did slow us down with me not knowing chemistry). Later chapters build on what you are doing now, so it is important to understand what is being taught and not going too fast.

Having done Apologia through high school with three kids so far, I think a module per week is way too fast.

I do not have a chemistry background, but did fine with Apologia Chemistry at home with three so far.

I think I would pull him out and do it at home, but that's JMO.

Our co-op does 1 module per week or per 2 weeks - depending on the length of the module and the time needed for labs. The students were told to expect about 1 hour of homework per night - and to stay on top of it. If the teacher expects to finish the book in one year, taking time off for holidays, then that is probably the pace that needs to be kept.

I would try and stick with it and make sure that there is time spent doing homework each night.

Hope it works out for you!! :)

I really don't understand why she is going so fast. There are only 16 modules in the book. At the pace she is going, the class will be done with the book in 16 weeks! Is she planning to spend more than one week on any of the modules? Or perhaps the advanced book will be covered as well. I think it would be insane to cover one module per week unless you were trying to get through both Aplogia Chemistry books. At any rate, what is most important is that your son is learning the material. I would talk with the teacher and see if others are struggling. If you can not come to a solution, then I would probably pull him out of the class. Perhaps she would still be willing to answer questions for your son via e-mail, especially if she understands how much he is struggling.

Blessings :)!

I'm running the chemistry at our co-op this year and we are taking 2 weeks per module. While the first few modules are easier the math is still challenging for some students. We are using virtualhomeschoolgroup.com, it is free and whether you drop out or not it is a great resource. All the quizzes and tests are online, so I don't have to waste class time on them (and I don't have to grade them either.)

I'm reading this with great interest, as my dd is currently in an Apologia chem co-op styled class with a public high school teacher who has never taught science.

I am spending much more time with dd so far than I did last year when she took biology.

They are spending two weeks on each module, three hours per week in class. Class time is used for a quiz/test on what was covered the week before, a lab pertinent to the current module, and a lecture on the previous week's homework (which test will be given the following week).

An hour per week, per module, including a quiz, would not be worth my effort to drive my dd to class. If sounds like the teacher's sole purpose is to answer any questions? Surely you can find those answers online. (Are you paying for this?) I don't think you can do less than what he's already getting in the class; you can only do better. If it were me though, I'd be using the DIVE-CDs (or looking at other options to go with the text). That's still a possibility, depending on how my dd's class goes.

Dd is already freaking out about chemistry, sure that her entire future hinges upon whether she does well on it or not. Poor kid.

However, we are clipping along so fast that we are in module 4 already, and i am quite sure he doesn't know what is in the first 3 modules! We would have to start over to suit my need for him to know the material. We are considering all options. I need to speak to the teacher, as well.

How many other outside classes does he have? Could you do an intensive Chemistry week and get him caught up to where the class is? Drop some of your other work for one week and have him dwell on chemistry for several hours a day?

Well, I opted to start teaching him at home as well as keep him in the class. Today is first class where I taught him. Quiz grade? 9/9!!!!!

They are actually taking two weeks for module 4, which we have covered entirely at home, so we will practice what we've learned in mod. 4 and go back and relearn modules 1 and 2. My husband took him through module 3 yesterday. Hopefully we can get on track before midterms in 2 weeks!

But I'm so happy he did well! Thanks for all the advice and we'll be hitting up the websites recommended. Khan Academy was actually able to teach us equation balancing quite well in about five minutes. Others were struggling with that today!

Shelly,

I was having a complete "brain cramp" the other night when I posted.

Have you heard of "Virtual Homeschool Group" (VHSG) done by Tammy Moore?

We are currently doing Apologia Biology with her. I know she had some other Apologia courses running, but I don't know if Chemistry is one of them.

Just agreeing here that a module a week is too fast. I also am not a big fan of the order of the modules. I remember the first modules being quite difficult and scratched my head over why equations and and basic chemistry came in the middle of the book.

I think he will understand the first couple of modules much better after completing the middle modules. I would go back and repeat them.

I plan on doing the modules out of order with my daughter. Oh, my poor son who has to be the guinea pig all the time. :tongue_smilie:

I'm glad you are getting it done at home!

I tutored a kid through Apologia doing a 1 mod per week scenario, BUT she was block scheduled. She did 90 minute periods for Chem and finished it in 1 semester with a great grade. She then did history the next semester.

Maybe you will have to do something like this with him to get through the year? at this pace 1 hour per day will likely not cut it, unless the kid is a science kid.

Our co-op has a chem engineer doing Apologia this year (my kids aren't in it) but they do the 1 mod per every 2 weeks approach same as people usually do for all Apologia sciences.

So my questions is, what in the world will they do for the rest of the year?? :001_huh:

Georgia