Menu

Am I short changing my 6th grader?

Compared to public school I think he is learning a lot, even if he isn't DOING a lot. But compared to your kids, I worry. So, he is our list for today, which is fairly typical of a Friday.

First Language Lessons 3 , 1 lesson

WWE2, week 33, day 4, so Narration and Dictation.

Art of ARgument, reading 3 pages and discussing it (one fallacy)

Math Mammoth 6a, one lesson, doing every other problem

Spanish For Children, oral review then the quiz

Typing Instructor for Kids, one lesson (takes about 5 minutes)

Computers 101 - one online lesson (20 minutes maybe?)

Watched a 50 minute documentary on Lost Cave Temples in the Himalayas

Listened to me read a chapter of Mere Christianity, and discussed it (sort of)

He also will read 1 chapter of Augustine Came to Kent before the day is done.

Does this seem like a full days worth of work? Other days may have other subjects, but are about the same length with the exception of Wednesday, which is our co-op day. That day he does art/music/science there and does assigned reading in the car on the way to and from.

He is a smart guy and finishes everything quickly when he wants to, so I feel sometimes like it isn't enough. But I also don't want to give him busy work just so he works longer, you know?

Ugh, it's such a hard grade.

I don't think it's the choices of curric that I've struggled with, but the challenge that I struggle with.

My guy is a guy that gets it all right, all the time, and seems to struggle with nothing. So I've had to 'crack down' a little more, not that I'm harsher, but I'm expecting a deeper amount of understanding from him and I don't allow as much leeway for mistakes.

Mine reads a lot, this year so far, 12 Bright Trumpets, The Falcons of Tremoine, now he's on Of All the Swords in England.

I checked Memoria's Lit section for 6th, and he's already read all of their books. :glare:

I AM working on depth in his book essays-because he can handle it. Form and format is down, now I'm trying to tease out more depth. Goal, Motivation, Conflict of characters. We talk through a lot of it so he has something to chew on while he's outlining.

He's doing well with MUS Zeta (Fie! I know, not up to par with math heads), clipping a long at a good pace.

He outlines from Light to the Nations which we use as a history spine, and he writes dates in a Book of Centuries.

He's running though Latina Christiana, and I'm trying to pick up French again.

Sciences-books galore. I use AO and others I come across. He loves playing with the microscope and drawing whatever we've collected from hikes. I'm probably not going to do formal science until 9th but he's a geek and really enjoys the science books.

We're plowing through Intermediate Language Lessons, at this point we're just coming across some holes so it's full steam ahead. He also does Spelling Workout every day.

Once a week I use Drawing with Children with ALL of them, and we also do a project from Discovering Great Artists-we line it up with history.

I think what you're doing is fine, but it all depends on if your son is challenged. Mine wasn't, it was all just too easy and he was getting bored.

Mine also has a memory like nothing I've seen, too, so I don't regard him normal in that way, though I have nothing to compare him to (but his big sister, who is exactly the same way).

:grouphug:

Edited by justamouse

Well you've got all the *content* areas covered. My only question would be output. If he's doing so well, can you bump up or make some progress on that FLL3 and WWE2? WWE2 definitely isn't as much writing as a generally doing well 6th grader can do.

Maybe you could have him do a writing assignment on his history or science every week to give him more writing practice.

I also think WWE2 seems very light for a 6th grader, unless he's really struggling. Maybe get the text out of the library and move him through at a more accelerated pace to place him where you see he needs it?

We skipped from WWE3 to WWS - I did do that with the text, though - make sure she could handle the WWE4 lessons in there - before moving her on. I also have her do other writing - the suggestion someone else had of having him write short papers on history or science was good.

WWE2 is probably way too easy for him, if he is doing so well (my 2nd grader is doing it right now), but I hear that WWE3 really jumps up in intensity, so it might not be a good idea to skip it! :)

How long does an average school day end up taking him?

WWE2 actually wasn't too easy for him when we started. He has major problems with working memory, so the dictation portion was killer in the beginning. He literally couldn't do a dictation like "Bob sat on the small chair." when we started. It was that bad. So he REALLY needed WWE2. But at the end of last year it started to really click for him, and he is doing really very well now. I actually credit dictation with improving his working memory more than anything else we did. We will do the placement test and see where he ends up.

If anyone can tell me the difference between 3 and 4 that would be great.

I know FLL3 is pretty easy for him, but to be honest he needed easy there to. We tried the 5th grade GWG last year, and he learned NOTHING. NO retention. He couldn't tell me what a verb was by the end of it. :confused:

Now, he is finally getting it. I looked at ALL but I think it moves too fast. This slow but steady "nibbled to death by ducks" approach has him actually thinking grammar is easy, and he is diagramming like a pro! I think once he has the basics under his belt we can easily move into ALL.

I also think WWE2 seems very light for a 6th grader, unless he's really struggling. Maybe get the text out of the library and move him through at a more accelerated pace to place him where you see he needs it?

We skipped from WWE3 to WWS - I did do that with the text, though - make sure she could handle the WWE4 lessons in there - before moving her on. I also have her do other writing - the suggestion someone else had of having him write short papers on history or science was good.

We actually started with the text, and did exactly that. We hit a wall in level 2. He has a processing disorder and almost no working memory, which was the problem. So remembering what the passage said to do his narration, or remembering the dictation, was SUCH a struggle. He is just now doing well and getting some confidence. I also do the discussion questions and oral narrations for every chapter of SOTW to work those parts of the brain even more. We picked up this year where we left off, figuring he would need the refresher in it after the summer, but are doing every other lesson to accelerate. We will be done in 3 weeks, and I will have to decide on WWE4 or WWE3.

We actually started with the text, and did exactly that. We hit a wall in level 2. He has a processing disorder and almost no working memory, which was the problem. So remembering what the passage said to do his narration, or remembering the dictation, was SUCH a struggle. He is just now doing well and getting some confidence. I also do the discussion questions and oral narrations for every chapter of SOTW to work those parts of the brain even more. We picked up this year where we left off, figuring he would need the refresher in it after the summer, but are doing every other lesson to accelerate. We will be done in 3 weeks, and I will have to decide on WWE4 or WWE3.

It sounds like you've been doing just the right thing for him here, and that it's been really good for him. :)

First Language Lessons 3 , 1 lesson

WWE2, week 33, day 4, so Narration and Dictation. As others mentioned, I would try to accelerate through these. Would it be possible to continue working on his dictation while at the same time moving him toward middle school writing skills? Have you tried doing the first few lessons of WWS? They are free.

Art of ARgument, reading 3 pages and discussing it (one fallacy)Are your discussions productive or is it just you talking and him listening? ie. Does he contribute a lot to the discussion?

Math Mammoth 6a, one lesson, doing every other problem

Spanish For Children, oral review then the quiz

Typing Instructor for Kids, one lesson (takes about 5 minutes)Is he utilizing these typing skills in any of his schoolwork? If he is writing summaries for SOTW maybe he could type them for you. (If he is far enough in his practice.)

Computers 101 - one online lesson (20 minutes maybe?)

Watched a 50 minute documentary on Lost Cave Temples in the HimalayasHave you taught him outlining yet...could he outline this? If not, could he at least write up some of the most important topics that were discussed, what stood out to him as the most interesting thing or maybe even questions the doc. may have made him wonder about that he could research the answers for online?

Listened to me read a chapter of Mere Christianity, and discussed it (sort of)Again, was this quality discussion?

He also will read 1 chapter of Augustine Came to Kent before the day is done. Is this all the lit. he reads? Are you doing any type of introductory literary terms study? Adding in some lit with study guides or taking a look at Figuratively Speaking might be beneficial. A good book for poetry and literary terms is The Harp and Laurel Wreath.

I've set goals for 9th grade and then made sure that each year of dd12's middle school has a focus that will meet those goals. This year our push is writing mechanics and style, study skills and ownership of education, overcoming math phobias and geography. Next year will be writing effectively and consistently across the curriculum, ensuring a solid foundation for pre-algebra, increasing her reading level and comprehension, and World History. Her 8th grade year will be a focus on essay writing, beginning literary analysis, mastering pre-algebra concepts, and Am. history.

Setting these goals and focuses for each year has prevented me from just being complacent and assuming the curriculum was teaching her what she needed to know for 6th grade. In addition to working on our focuses throughout all of our subjects I'm also accountable for making sure that she is thinking and analyzing and making connections. This only comes from interaction and discussion. Even if she does a subject independently I still talk to her about it and ask her questions that make her think.

Dd has also started thinking a lot about what she might be interested in doing in the future and that has sparked some interests in her that she devotes a lot of learning time to. I don't count these things as school but they are a huge part of her education and she actually expends more time and brain power to them than she does her "schoolwork". You could have a student that gets all of his school done in 3 hours but then spends 5 hours a day devoted to a passion (video games don't count;)). "Well, Johnny's math only took him 30 minutes today but he spent 3 hours building his own computer" Would you say that child wasn't doing enough learning?

Katie, based on what you're saying now about the working memory and stuff, I wouldn't rush the WWE process. It sounds like where you have him is a good fit, so keep plodding.

What you might do is think about output projects that DON'T require so much working memory and AREN'T limited by his difficulties but DO take advantage of his increased abilities. For instance, he might like to integrate the skills he learns in his computer course into history time to do a snazzy project. That's what I'm doing with my dd this year. I got a series of technology/computer assignments, and I'm having her do them, trying to get her to apply the skills to other subjects.

That's why I think in terms of *output*. That output and synthesis doesn't have to be hindered by their weaknesses. But yes, I think what you're doing with the basics is great, and I wouldn't change a thing on that, not a thing. Don't feel compelled to rush there. I did Shurley with my dd for years because, like you say, there are some kids who just don't connect with grammar in the normal way. BTW, have you read "Right-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World" by Freed? He suggests that most people with ADD, ADHD (and by extrapolation working memory issues) turn out to be VSL (visual-spatial learners). It's kind of interesting to ponder in relation to the tricky subjects you teach. He has very specific recommendations for each subject.

I agree with not rushing WWE, but I would start a second writing program to improve other aspects of her writing skills. IEW for essays or Killgallon for sentence construction etc. Try for 2 writing sessions per day.

My son is also struggling in Writing, and 1 session of independent writing and 1 session with me has made a huge difference. We are currently working on answering questions in Science. What is the question actually asking? What does compare, evaluate, identify etc mean? How can you phrase your answer in a short way? We talk about this for each question and then he writes the answer.

Also, I don't see Spelling or Vocabulary.

Ruth in NZ

Thanks everyone! I think I do need to get him doing more "output", but gradually so he doesn't get freaked out. I think I will start with having him write some summaries about history readings or science. I am not going to worry about structure so much as getting thoughts on paper. Then worry about structure next year when we get to WWS. Does that seem reasonable? When he finishes Augustine Came to Kent I will have him write a paragraph or so answering some of the literary analysis questions SWB advises in the Well Trained Mind. I think this would be a good book to ask the basic "Who is this about, what do they want, and what is preventing them from getting it" questions.

He isn't typing well enough yet to type his lessons. He does like to do them on the computer, but he hunts and pecks. I have been convinced to let him use pen, instead of pencil, starting Monday, so I think that will really help with the complaints of "my hand hurts".

Our discussions are usually pretty good. Mere Christianity has sparked some good ones, but yesterday wasn't one of those days. We were both feeling unmotivated. Art of Argument has him talking more than I do. He tells me about the fallacy, and gives me an example. Then I give him some other examples from real life, and we talk about when we hear this, etc. He really liked the documentary he did today, so he came out and told me some of the "cool stuff" right away. I find myself hesitant to have him do writing on it, as I think that would ruin it for him.

I think I will aim for one paragraph a week for now, writing about either history or lit or science, and then bump that up to twice a week when he is doing better. Although I have a fear then that his sentences will go down in quality....they are just getting really good in narration. hmm....

Forgot to put that we use Latin/Greek roots flash cards on a daily basis. We are learning 3 new ones a week. Again, it only takes 5 minutes a day. I do make sure we review the old ones too. For spelling we are changing programs, and it just came in the mail yesterday (phonetic zoo). So no spelling last week while we were in limbo waiting for it to arrive. We will be doing spelling 4 days a week.

Maybe I just need to accept that this year is about strengthening his memory with dictation, getting good sentences with WWE, and working on a really good understanding of spelling and grammar. And worry about the rest next year.

Or, maybe he IS ready for WWS, and I'm shortchanging him. sigh.

Hmm...I just looked at WWS again. I really think I need to wait until next year for it. I think.

I would not skip WW3. But, to the extent that he does well, I'd accelerate him through it.

I have to say that dd did ok with WW3, not super great, and she didn't do much of WW4, but she's doing wonderfully with WWS. The first month was challenging for her (the particular reading passages) but not overwhelming. It's still challenging, but it seems as though the summarizing aspects have gotten easier for her...more directed, or something (she's in week 6). Here, look at this specific little one- or two-paragraph section of the reading all by itself, what/who is it about? and why is it important/what did they do? Ok now write that down. Now, let's look at the next tiny little section. It's perfect for her, and she's very VSL. She doesn't have working memory issues, but for a student who does, I'd guess that breaking up the reading into parts would make that a whole lot easier.

Thinking off the top of my head, I'd have a hard time holding off on WWS in your shoes, in spite of what seemed to be more difficult passages in the beginning of WWS. Alternatively, I'd add in outlining instruction from another source (say, the Remedia workbook) but it doesn't go quite far enough - WWS outlining is "deeper" for lack of a better word (coffee hasn't quite hit the brain yet). So if I did Remedia, I'd want to do more outlining than that - but then I'm back to WWS. My theory ;) :lol: is that, for a VSL, outlining provides a visual structure to ideas. Or something.

FWIW, I have dd read the lesson instructions backwards first, starting with the last step, then the second step, then the first step, then forward.

I would not skip WW3. But, to the extent that he does well, I'd accelerate him through it.

I have to say that dd did ok with WW3, not super great, and she didn't do much of WW4, but she's doing wonderfully with WWS. The first month was challenging for her (the particular reading passages) but not overwhelming. It's still challenging, but it seems as though the summarizing aspects have gotten easier for her...more directed, or something (she's in week 6). Here, look at this specific little one- or two-paragraph section of the reading all by itself, what/who is it about? and why is it important/what did they do? Ok now write that down. Now, let's look at the next tiny little section. It's perfect for her, and she's very VSL. She doesn't have working memory issues, but for a student who does, I'd guess that breaking up the reading into parts would make that a whole lot easier.

Thinking off the top of my head, I'd have a hard time holding off on WWS in your shoes, in spite of what seemed to be more difficult passages in the beginning of WWS. Alternatively, I'd add in outlining instruction from another source (say, the Remedia workbook) but it doesn't go quite far enough - WWS outlining is "deeper" for lack of a better word (coffee hasn't quite hit the brain yet). So if I did Remedia, I'd want to do more outlining than that - but then I'm back to WWS. My theory ;) :lol: is that, for a VSL, outlining provides a visual structure to ideas. Or something.

FWIW, I have dd read the lesson instructions backwards first, starting with the last step, then the second step, then the first step, then forward.

Ok, I haven't had coffee yet either....but you say not to skip WWE3, but also to do WWS? I can't do both, that won't work for us. So...WWE3, 4, or WWS are the options.

Ok, I haven't had coffee yet either....but you say not to skip WWE3, but also to do WWS? I can't do both, that won't work for us. So...WWE3, 4, or WWS are the options.

ok. I'd look at it this way. I'd either (a) do WWE3, but not necessarily every single narration in there; it depends on how that goes - is every one a torturous struggle, or can you skip ahead here and there a bit to get closer to the end; or (b) try WWS and see how far you get (understanding that there were a few readings in the beginning that seemed more difficult; I don't think that matters a ton). If it doesn't work out, then you go back to WWE3, but you've still been practicing summarizing all that time, so it's not as though the time were wasted. When you think the summarizing skill has gone well in WWE3, I think it's reasonable to skip WWE4 and start WWS.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the working memory is the problem, I wouldn't want to see that hold him back from being taught how to outline. Outlining might just be what saves him, KWIM? Maybe he just needs smaller pieces for finding main ideas, and then writing them each down, unlike a situation where one is holding the summary for an entire larger reading inside the head at once. Or a better feeling for the structure. Summarizing really is something that some kids need to be taught super-explicitly; dd wasn't fond of WWE, but likes WWS much better and seems to be getting more out of it. I don't know why. (Maybe because we didn't do all of WWE3; we started with the hardcover book with WWE2 last January when we started hs-ing, and skimmed through WWE2 and 3). I know outlining may sound like it's a bigger, more complicated version of summarizing, but some kids might do better with that bigger-picture-first approach, especially if they can write parts down as they go along rather than writing the whole thing in one fell swoop (eta, that sounds oxymoronic!!).

If dictation is the issue, I think it's reasonable to work on that separately. I would not expect a student - especially one with issues - to be at the exact same level with both skills simultaneously.

Hopefully someone will come along soon and tell me where I'm going awry with this ;)

Edited by wapiti

Katie, can I dig a bit deeper and ask if you've had him evaluated? You've said he has working memory issues. Was that your conclusion or did you get a neuropsych eval? I'm asking, because, and I'm just trying to be helpful here, usually kids with that have *more* going on. You're saying a lot more things as people talk about you, and I think it's possible that you're floundering and getting advice that goes against your gut and what you're seeing because you don't yet know all the issues.

For instance on your idea for the writing, I'm just telling you straight up that's a big step. That's a HUGE leap to go from dictating WWE2 to writing a paragraph using the lit analysis questions in WTM. Too big. And I think you're being swayed by that because (maybe) you don't yet realize his issues. So I would seriously think about getting an evaluation. At least it's just something to think about.

Now on the writing, I would NOT make a leap to written that he cannot do comfortably orally. Has he been discussing the lit with you in that way with the WTM questions? Then what you do is you EASE him into it. You take what you had been doing orally and you model writing it. The next week you let him write the first sentence and you write the next. And so on. I'm not joking. It's one of the techniques Freed recommends in "Right-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World."

Output doesn't mean paragraphs. It can mean sentences. It can mean charts. It can mean taking notes for his online class. It can mean opinion lists (I hate such and such). Last year I had my dd writing from prompts, and that was TERRIFIC, highly recommend. Jump In has really great ones in the tm. You don't even have to use the rest of the course, just the writing prompts. There are enough to do one a week for the entire school year, and they are coordinated by months to fit things that happen (Christmas, summer, etc.). Check 'em out. If you don't like those, google writing prompts and find others.

The writing prompts would give him consistent practice in getting his thoughts onto paper. That's a big enough step. He doesn't have to jumble that up with trying to have thoughts about literature, kwim? Take just ONE STEP at a time.

Yes, by all means give him a pen. Give him a pen for every subject where he wants to use a pen, including math. Give him any pen he wants. In our house we're bananas for the Pentel Energel They look like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012G9VNS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006JNIK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CSEV4SVYBQY9PX04JDK They go on sale, so don't flip out over the price. We LOVE them in our house.

Also look at http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Wild-Notes-Subject-Notebook/dp/B003HS5JK8 My dd uses this for handwriting exercises like Callirobics, where it's not so much about writing fast as making the writing motions they want. It works much better than those reviews imply, but I got mine fresh at Walmart, not from a dried-up amazon vendor.

Listen to your gut. If your gut reaction is WWS is too big a step, it probably is. You're not slacking to find a more appropriate step instead.

BTW, I'm the queen of big jumps and big thumps. I know it's hard to sort out. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

I haven't read all the post but wanted to mention that my 6th and 8th graders are working their way through WWE3. I started them in the summer and should have been done by now but since school started and I'm now teaching all the children we haven't picked it back up {hopefully next week I'll get going with it}.

Once we finish with WWE3 I may have my 8th grader start WWS.

Have you looked at Analytical Grammar? My 6th grade dd is using it and my 8th grade ds will start it has soon as his notebook gets here.

Currenty my 8th ds is using Bob Jones grammar but it's too hard, so we are going to take the 11 weeks to do the first part of Analytical Grammar then return to Bob Jones.

Katie, can I dig a bit deeper and ask if you've had him evaluated? You've said he has working memory issues. Was that your conclusion or did you get a neuropsych eval? I'm asking, because, and I'm just trying to be helpful here, usually kids with that have *more* going on. You're saying a lot more things as people talk about you, and I think it's possible that you're floundering and getting advice that goes against your gut and what you're seeing because you don't yet know all the issues.

For instance on your idea for the writing, I'm just telling you straight up that's a big step. That's a HUGE leap to go from dictating WWE2 to writing a paragraph using the lit analysis questions in WTM. Too big. And I think you're being swayed by that because (maybe) you don't yet realize his issues. So I would seriously think about getting an evaluation. At least it's just something to think about.

Now on the writing, I would NOT make a leap to written that he cannot do comfortably orally. Has he been discussing the lit with you in that way with the WTM questions? Then what you do is you EASE him into it. You take what you had been doing orally and you model writing it. The next week you let him write the first sentence and you write the next. And so on. I'm not joking. It's one of the techniques Freed recommends in "Right-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World."

Output doesn't mean paragraphs. It can mean sentences. It can mean charts. It can mean taking notes for his online class. It can mean opinion lists (I hate such and such). Last year I had my dd writing from prompts, and that was TERRIFIC, highly recommend. Jump In has really great ones in the tm. You don't even have to use the rest of the course, just the writing prompts. There are enough to do one a week for the entire school year, and they are coordinated by months to fit things that happen (Christmas, summer, etc.). Check 'em out. If you don't like those, google writing prompts and find others.

The writing prompts would give him consistent practice in getting his thoughts onto paper. That's a big enough step. He doesn't have to jumble that up with trying to have thoughts about literature, kwim? Take just ONE STEP at a time.

Yes, by all means give him a pen. Give him a pen for every subject where he wants to use a pen, including math. Give him any pen he wants. In our house we're bananas for the Pentel Energel They look like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012G9VNS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006JNIK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CSEV4SVYBQY9PX04JDK They go on sale, so don't flip out over the price. We LOVE them in our house.

Also look at http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Wild-Notes-Subject-Notebook/dp/B003HS5JK8 My dd uses this for handwriting exercises like Callirobics, where it's not so much about writing fast as making the writing motions they want. It works much better than those reviews imply, but I got mine fresh at Walmart, not from a dried-up amazon vendor.

Listen to your gut. If your gut reaction is WWS is too big a step, it probably is. You're not slacking to find a more appropriate step instead.

BTW, I'm the queen of big jumps and big thumps. I know it's hard to sort out. :)

thank you!!! You are right, I'm letting myself be swayed. He isn't ready for WWS. Ok, deep breath after admitting that :)

He has been evaluated by a neuropsych, and has processing speed issues, major difficulties with coding, and horrible working memory issues. Also ADHD inattentive type (not hyperactive at all), and Aspergers. Also was diagnosed with mild depression last year, but that seems better recently, now that we have homeschool friends.

I think we will do start with the WTM questions orally this year. Maybe second semester write them down. Have him take notes, but not write paragraphs, on his science and history. He can do that without too much of a struggle. Have him orally narrate more of what he is reading/watching.

I think he is ready for WWE4, but will have him take the placement test. I am not good at picking out my own material for narration and dictation, so I need to use the workbooks. I suppose I could do WWE3 and do every other or every third week, if need be, as well.

Thanks again for reminding me that skill by skill is more important than age.

Definitely read the Freed book http://www.amazon.com/Right-Brained-Children-Left-Brained-World-Unlocking/dp/0684847930 :)

You're doing great!

Thanks. I need to remember that slow and steady wins the race I think. That ramping up is ok. He was in public school until last year, and last year was spent working on habits, attitude, and finding our way. We certainly made progress, but it isn't as if he was homeschooled since day one.

Does he do any writing other than for WWE? If not, I'd have him write about the science and history you're studying.

Also, if he isn't struggling with writing, after you're done with WWE2/FLL3, you might want to consider bumping him up to WWS/ALL.

What my 6th grader did this Friday, also fairly typical workload:

• Read Bible passage and wrote a paragraph or so about it
  • Read Bible memory passage in both English and Spanish. Said what she could from memory
  • Rod and Staff English lesson orally (she uses mostly MCT, currently Grammar Voyage, but periodically I use a lesson from R&S that covers a topic not in MCT)
  • Two sentences of dictation
  • One sentence analyzed (basically MCT Practice Town type, but a sentence I chose from a book we own)
  • Read a chapter or two of historical fiction (life of the Biblical Ruth). Oral narration of this
  • Read one poem
  • Two math review questions from Singapore PM 5B
  • One lesson from Singapore PM 6A (just the textbook this time)
  • Read a section from Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt and narrated orally
  • Read some animal information cards. Watched a science DVD. (She more often reads library books for science, but we forgot to get more at the library this week, so she has been watching Bill Nye and various videos we own)
  • Listened to a Spanish Bible story read aloud while coloring a picture and discussing in Spanish. (We alternate this with a 3rd grade Spanish science textbook and occasional dictation and written narration in Spanish.)
  • listened to our usual hymns, folk songs, Spanish songs, classical music, and Geography Songs (Geography Songs is really for her 4th grade brother, but she listens too.)
  • various chores, free time drawing, and free time animal research

Does he do any writing other than for WWE? If not, I'd have him write about the science and history you're studying.

Also, if he isn't struggling with writing, after you're done with WWE2/FLL3, you might want to consider bumping him up to WWS/ALL.

He outlines history each week, and writes notes sometimes about science. He did struggle with writing before, but has been doing really well with WWE.

I think instead of just looking at one day you need to write out (for yourself) what he does in a whole week. One day's worth of work can be a very misleading representation of what your student is doing for schoolwork. If I wrote out what dd12 did this Friday you all would think that I'm not schooling at all.:tongue_smilie: Based on all of the additional information you've given during the course of this thread (all of the other work he does, building a computer, his diagnoses) I would say you are doing just fine. As long as you have clear goals and focuses for each year and you have an idea of where he needs to be for 9th I think you are going to be just fine. :D

Just for comparison with Spock's dd, my dd last year (6th gr, 2E, pencil-phobic) on a Friday would have read several chapters out of adult-level biographies of a topic she's into (Queen Elizabeth) and made comparison charts (a very logic-stage thing to do of course), done some math, a few minutes of grammar. I forget what all else. What I'm getting at though is that with some kids, the kids where the physical and the mental don't always match up, sometimes you end up doing a few things WELL rather than a lot of things. Another child might be able to do a lot of things well. Some kids need to do less things. Transitions are very hard for some kids, and that includes not only your daily life transitions but also subject transitions. So we try to combine things and do less but do them WELL.

Don't know why I'm going on about that, but just thought it might make you feel better.

Just for comparison with Spock's dd, my dd last year (6th gr, 2E, pencil-phobic) on a Friday would have read several chapters out of adult-level biographies of a topic she's into (Queen Elizabeth) and made comparison charts (a very logic-stage thing to do of course), done some math, a few minutes of grammar. I forget what all else. What I'm getting at though is that with some kids, the kids where the physical and the mental don't always match up, sometimes you end up doing a few things WELL rather than a lot of things. Another child might be able to do a lot of things well. Some kids need to do less things. Transitions are very hard for some kids, and that includes not only your daily life transitions but also subject transitions. So we try to combine things and do less but do them WELL.

Don't know why I'm going on about that, but just thought it might make you feel better.

It does, thank you! And yes, the 2E kids are different! He is really smart, but not "schoolish" by any means. If I gave him all the work Spock listed he would shut down totally. And with the depression diagnoses that is a worry in and of itself. He lost his love of learning while in public school, and although we may never get it totally back I'm trying hard to keep from killing it totally. Thanks!

I think instead of just looking at one day you need to write out (for yourself) what he does in a whole week. One day's worth of work can be a very misleading representation of what your student is doing for schoolwork. If I wrote out what dd12 did this Friday you all would think that I'm not schooling at all.:tongue_smilie: Based on all of the additional information you've given during the course of this thread (all of the other work he does, building a computer, his diagnoses) I would say you are doing just fine. As long as you have clear goals and focuses for each year and you have an idea of where he needs to be for 9th I think you are going to be just fine. :D

thanks, I appreciate that.

As for what he does each week, I'll try to list it:

WWE2 4 days a week

FLL3 3 days per week

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo 4 days a week

Vocabulary: English from the Roots up Flashcards, 3 new roots per week

Lit- reading historical fiction and books off the WTM list, a chapter a day

Science: Computers 101 course online 3 days a week, building a computer, 1 hour at co-op doing an experiement, plus either a documentary, experiement with dh, or extra reading each week.

Math- 1 lesson of MM6 4 days a week.

Logic- Art of Argument, 1 fallacy or section, 2 days a week

History: SOTW 1-2 chapters a week, with oral discussion questions and oral summary/narration. Reading indicated Kingfisher pages and doing a one level outline. Putting major dates on timeline. Doing mapwork from either story of the world or Knowledge Quest. Plus each week either a documentary or additional reading.

Spanish: Spanish for Children, 1 lesson per week, spread over 4 days

Typing: 1 lesson 3 days a week

Art/Music: Artistic Pursuits and random music lessons at co-op, plus composer of the month at home.

Religion: was listening to me read from Mere Christianity and disussing. Moving on to Memoria Press Christian Studies I, one lesson per week.

Health: 1 chapter a week of "It's Perfectly Normal" and random documentaries about food, nutrition, or drugs/alcohol.

As for what he does each week, I'll try to list it:

WWE2 4 days a week

FLL3 3 days per week

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo 4 days a week

Vocabulary: English from the Roots up Flashcards, 3 new roots per week

Lit- reading historical fiction and books off the WTM list, a chapter a day

Science: Computers 101 course online 3 days a week, building a computer, 1 hour at co-op doing an experiement, plus either a documentary, experiement with dh, or extra reading each week.

Math- 1 lesson of MM6 4 days a week.

Logic- Art of Argument, 1 fallacy or section, 2 days a week

History: SOTW 1-2 chapters a week, with oral discussion questions and oral summary/narration. Reading indicated Kingfisher pages and doing a one level outline. Putting major dates on timeline. Doing mapwork from either story of the world or Knowledge Quest. Plus each week either a documentary or additional reading.

Spanish: Spanish for Children, 1 lesson per week, spread over 4 days

Typing: 1 lesson 3 days a week

Art/Music: Artistic Pursuits and random music lessons at co-op, plus composer of the month at home.

Religion: was listening to me read from Mere Christianity and disussing. Moving on to Memoria Press Christian Studies I, one lesson per week.

Health: 1 chapter a week of "It's Perfectly Normal" and random documentaries about food, nutrition, or drugs/alcohol.

This gives a much more accurate picture of what your ds is doing. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think it looks very appropriate for a 6th grader to me. I would just focus on his writing skills intently for the next several years. I don't think you have anything to worry about.:D

This gives a much more accurate picture of what your ds is doing. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think it looks very appropriate for a 6th grader to me. I would just focus on his writing skills intently for the next several years. I don't think you have anything to worry about.:D

Thanks! I guess I don't realize how much is there until I type it all out. I try to space it out evenly as we are definitely a "nibbled to death by ducks" family. Plus he does the computer science in the evening, and his reading, so I don't always think of that as being part of his day.

And yes, we will focus on writing. I looked one more time at WWS and the levels of WWE. I think we will do WWE4, as it looks very doable for him, and a good intermediate step before moving on. Then WWS next year. We have time. If we do WWS in 7th and WWS2 in 8th he will certainly have a good base before going into highschool!