Menu

s/o Netflix

Most of us seem to agree that this 2 website Qwikster thing is annoying and a bad business move. But what are the other options? We use the streaming service for tv shows and documentaries and the dvd service for movies and some tv shows not available on streaming (like NCIS). I looked at iTunes, but it would be much more expensive to get the shows we watch now individually through them.

Has anyone used a similar service to Netflix? I googled and found several but I don't know much about them. :bigear:

My only problem with Hulu is the lack of children's programming. We still subscribe to it because I don't even have a way to watch network TV since we dropped cable.

I don't like Netflix's decision, but I will drop the DVDs before I drop the streaming. It doesn't seem like there is anything out there that compares. I really like that it streams in through the x-box and is easy to use! Should it become used less in our home, I would consider it.

I was going to ask the very same thing! No, I don't see any real alternative for us. Our library has an OK selection, but often the DVDs are in the same poor (or worse!) shape than the Netflix discs, and while our inter-library loan is great for books, most of the libraries do not ILL DVDs (and I stink at returning quickly to avoid fees). RedBox is good for something new if we want it immediately, but then there's that aforementioned "returning quickly" issue again :tongue_smilie: Our best option is to keep the 1 DVD a month plan and the streaming.

Here's my real concern though: The latest slew of new instant watch videos have been, for the most part, total garbage. DH even thought so, and he will watching ANYTHING. I don't mind paying an increased price and sticking with Netflix if the selections are going to improve, but I truly do not foresee the selections improving without the price also ticking continually upward as well. I'm worried about that :(

Discovery Streaming basic is available in some states for free through the public tv stations (not in ours, unfortunately). You can get the plus version through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for $199 for the year (basic is $70 cheaper, but has much less content). I find it vastly superior to Netflix for educational videos (we just started using it this year).

Hulu seems to be best for very current things like tv shows, as I've had trouble finding previous seasons to catch up. Caveat: I've not actually used Hulu Plus, so this may not be an issue for that.

Redbox doesn't do the tv series sets (at least not that I've seen) or nearly as much foreign material as Netflix (those are our primary uses for Netflix).

Amazon offers some streaming free with Prime, but I found the options very limited during our one month trial earlier this year.

Apparently Netflix has made a deal with Discovery streaming. Hopefully the educational video selection is about to improve!

Really? I'd love to hear more.

I wish Netflix subscribed to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' school of thought. The price rise was bad enough, but having to have two separate accounts??

I don't like Netflix's decision, but I will drop the DVDs before I drop the streaming. It doesn't seem like there is anything out there that compares.

This is what I did. I can't find anything that compares to Netflix streaming, so we kept it. Our library system has a decent DVD selection, including current and past tv shows, older movies, and documentaries that aren't on streaming. Between the library for older DVD's and Redbox for new movies, I'm hoping we'll be able to find what we want. It's not an irreversible decision. If we find we really do want the DVD option, we can always subscribe to Quikster.

We dropped the DVD portion, too.

My husband and daughter and I spent a couple of hours looking over Hulu Plus and Amazon's streaming videos and concluded that neither one offered access to the shows we watch most. Well, Amazon offered access, but there was an additional cost per episode even with Amazon Prime.

So, we've reluctantly decided to keep Netflix for streaming but search out other options for DVD rentals.

I've discovered that our library has many of the movies and series we normally get through Netflix. Of course, every copy of each of the ones I checked in currently checked out. But I will just have to learn how to submit holds.

I also figured out that, if we are not paying $16 per month for DVDs by mail, we could afford to buy an entire season of a show we liked on DVD every two months with the money not sent to Netflix/Qwickster. It frequently takes us a month or two to get through a season of a show, anyway.

And, as someone else said, it's not a now-or-never decision. If we find we really miss it, we could always sign up for Qwickster later.