Menu

Gluten free recipes

I believe all, or nearly all, of the recipes on A Year of Slow Cooking are gluten-free. She walks you through each recipe and tells you what was a hit or a flop with her family. I've tried many of the recipes there and been pleased most of the time.

Is this for you? Are you considering making a change? If you are, I want to encourage you. I did that about a year and a half ago. I am very glad I did! It was tough at first, but much easier if you aren't critically ill if you get a wee bit of gluten. I did it because I wanted to. I don't have celiac. Some who have celiac can't tolerate even the tiniest bit of gluten.

I like to follow the Toll House Cookie recipe with brown rice flour. I grind my own, and sometimes I have to add a little more than the recipe says, depending on humidity.

Rice Chex, Cinnamon Rice Chex, and Kroger's Rice Bitz are gluten free.

Bisquik's mix is good, like another poster mentioned, and Betty Crocker makes a good white cake mix that is gluten free. Their chocolate cakes have soy flour, and I think their brownie mix does too, so I haven't tried those because I'm allergic to that too.

Tinkyada brown rice pasta is my absolute favorite stuff in the world. I buy it in bulk on Amazon. It can take a little bit of overcooking, but it doesn't freeze well.

I also dredge chicken and pork chops in rice flour mixed with spices and fry it up...it's kind of a cross between flour and cornmeal.

Namaste makes wonderful white cake, spice cake, and brownie mixes. I know they also make pizza crust mix and bread mixes, but I haven't tried them.

The Silly Yak Bakery in Madison, WI will ship anywhere in the US. Their white bread is very good.

I use rice flour for many recipes that I used to make with wheat flour. I just have to remember that sometimes I have to go about it differently, like using a hand mixer to introduce bubbles into the batter instead of relying on the gluten like I used to.

Rice Chex, Cinnamon Rice Chex, (snip) are gluten free.

Be careful. I am not even particularly gluten sensitive, and when I had these, they caused terrible stomach pain for 2-3 days. I googled it, and it seems lots of people have problems with it, as the cereal is not produced in a gluten-free factory. Just a heads up.

We only did gluten free for a short time, but I have a relative that is permanently GF.

We liked the box mixes from King Arthur Flour. They are some nice recipes from the company here. They sell a GF flour blend but also tell you how to make your own for their recipes.

I found some nice recipes in this book by Elizabeth Barbone (for baking) and in Jacqueline Mallorca's books (cooking.) Roben Ryberg also has a good cookbook.

Gluten is a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. It's not in oats, but they're normally contaminated, so you need them from a place that states they are gluten free.

Also, the protein in oats is very similar to the proteins in the above grains, and many who react to wheat, barley and rye will also react to uncontaminated oats.

When you think of gluten think of 'glue'.

1. Tinkyada Brand Pastas: Wonderful! Follow directions as they're a bit different. You can enjoy spagetti and hot or cold pasta dishes galore! I love to make a cold macaroni salad using 'Vegenaise', which is a safe substitute to regular mayonaise. No one is the wiser and it's good for you! Add spices and fresh veggies of your choice, etc...

2. Namaste: Carries mostly all gluten free products and do a wonderful job. Our favorite is the Waffle/Pancake Mix. What we do here (since we are also dairy free) is add 'unsweetened vanilla flavored hemp milk' along w/the required oil. I also add a few shakes of organic cinnamon powder and we have terrific waffles, topping them with Earth Balance and freshly cut strawberries! Add blueberries....etc...they're fantastic! http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Category_Id=5

3. When shopping if you can, try to find a local 'natural foods market' to shop for your gluten free items, especially freshly made ones. Rudi's breads offer a gluten free bread that I enjoy using....toasting it makes it even better. I do not trust the big name companies (Kellogs, etc.) for their foods as they are just joining in the $$$ rush. Suddenly it is becoming a new buzz word and I get leery of big companies claiming 'healthy foods', etc. They also use GMO in their products/grains, etc....

Good luck!

I believe all, or nearly all, of the recipes on A Year of Slow Cooking are gluten-free. She walks you through each recipe and tells you what was a hit or a flop with her family. I've tried many of the recipes there and been pleased most of the time.

Is this for you? Are you considering making a change? If you are, I want to encourage you. I did that about a year and a half ago. I am very glad I did! It was tough at first, but much easier if you aren't critically ill if you get a wee bit of gluten. I did it because I wanted to. I don't have celiac. Some who have celiac can't tolerate even the tiniest bit of gluten.

What a great site you linked! Thanks!! I've bookmarked it and already have a few recipes to try.

Try anything from eatingglutenfree.com. Especially their chocolate chip cookies. Amazing. They have flour mixes that I have used to replace regular flour in other recipes. Coming from a family where most (my husband, 2 kids, and all of his family) have gluten issues this book and site was life changing! The other book I recently found and absolutely love is "Gluten Free Baking Classics" by Annalise G. Roberts. I received this last Christmas and I use it all the time. They have hands down the best flour replacement recipe I have ever come across. It uses millet as it's base grain instead of rice flour so it has a lot more nutrition.

Good Luck!

Annmarie

When you think of gluten think of 'glue'.

2. Namaste: Carries mostly all gluten free products and do a wonderful job. Our favorite is the Waffle/Pancake Mix. What we do here (since we are also dairy free) is add 'unsweetened vanilla flavored hemp milk' along w/the required oil. I also add a few shakes of organic cinnamon powder and we have terrific waffles, topping them with Earth Balance and freshly cut strawberries! Add blueberries....etc...they're fantastic! http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Category_Id=5

I also like their Waffle/Pankcake mix. Their spice cake is delicious, too! Just in our opinion, their chocolate cake was not the best. That was about a year ago, so maybe they've changed it since then, but it was the first chocolate cake I ever passed up. Their spice cake, though, is just yummy with vanilla ice cream.

I agree that you don't have to substitute everything.. Just go without cakes, breads, etc. if you can. There are plenty of things that are naturally gluten free (meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, etc.).

I use this stuff for frying chicken tenders.. It is DELICIOUS!!!

51M0WcTmsfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg