Menu

Help thinking of free or inexpensive field trips?

This might be included in "parks," but I wanted to mention that state parks often have great free or cheap educational things to do.

For example, we have a state park/nature preserve locally that has wonderful nature trails. They are marked with signs about the plants and animals you are likely to see while wandering. There is no admission charge.

The same park also offers nature classes for kids. You have to sign up at the beginning of the year, and it's kind of competitive because all of the homeschool groups want to do the classes. But if you can get in it's terrific. They charge $1 per kid, per hour-long class.

We have another state park about an hour north of us where manatees go for the winter, because the water is warm. There is a walkway/boardwalk all along the water, and you can wander and watch the animals. There is also signage telling you about manatees in general and some of the ones who return year to year. Again, admission is free.

My daughter did a show recently in a city about an hour's drive (in another direction). I was walking the dog one day while waiting for her to come out of rehearsal and discovered a lovely little park with the city's war memorial. In addition to the statue, itself, there was signage along the walkway with information about each of the wars in which soldiers from the town have fought.

Another state park not far from us has a replica of a fort from the 1800s as well as several buildings from the era. Entrance to the park is free.

I would highly recommend checking the websites for your city, county and state parks. You might be very pleasantly surprised at all there is to do.

My experience is that you can find lots of free things, but it takes work. In my area, a great many places that usually charge have free annual festivals/events of one sort or another, but you have to keep an eagle eye out for these.

For example this year we went to a river exploration, co-sponsored by a local college and by Trout Unlimited. There were 8 stations -- seining, looking at creatures with dissecting scopes, testing for dissolved oxygen, etc. All free.

We went to a Butterfly day sponsored by a local butterfly society -- lectures, gift packages, hikes. Free

We regularly go to astronomy viewings (outdoors) sponsored by a local astronomy club. You can look through some pretty great telescopes and get lots of advice. Also coffee/lemonade & doughnut holes. Free.

Two small observatories in our area have free viewing sessions.

Our local Audubon Society has free walks almost every week.

A historical village near us has one weekend a year when volunteers come and set up the smokehouse, cider making, apple butter cooking over an open fire, etc, etc. Free.

A lot of battle re-enactments are free.

Park/nature center clean up days -- great way to get kids involved.

Our state fish hatchery has a free day once a year. Tours, games, museum, fishing in a stocked pond.

Local ethnic festivals (but be prepared to buy food, lol)

Obviously, your area will be different. But the point I want to make is that very few of these events were held at locations that we were familiar with. I happened upon them (well, I read every local paper & flyer, check library bulletin boards, and google a lot). The more I look the more I find.

The good news is that most of these events are repeated year after year. I put them all on my mac calendar (in a different color from actual appointments). Then, I often have multiple ideas for a weekend/season.

ETA another source http://www.fieldtrip.com/

Adding: free local park concerts, fireworks, parades, commemorations like 9/11 ceremonies, MLK day programs....

Daisy's post (below) reminds me that last year out county police had a field day,. We saw a plane put on fire (extinguished), bombs exploding, a swat team in action, etc.

Edited by Alessandra

In my area, a great many places that usually charge have annual festivals/events of one sort or another, but you have to keep an eagle eye out for these.

That's true, too.

Orlando has an annual arts festival during which many local organizations offer free events (concerts, plays, puppet shows, dance performances, art galleries, etc.). It's a wonderful opportunity to take kids to things that might not normally be an option. The schedule comes out usually in December or January, and the festival is in February. All you have to do is go through the list and find the things you want to attend. (Some events require reservations, but they are still free.)

Our Trader Joes gives free field trips. Oddly enough it was one of my children's favorite trips because they were able to go in the BACK and were even allowed to ring up a few items at the register.

Others...

Fire station

Sheriff station (we are going today to see the helicopter fleet)

City police (all the kids got fingerprinted)

Local newspaper

Grocery stores

Local bakery

Local ice cream shop (it cost us $1 per person. They showed us how they make the ice cream and candy and gave everyone a scoop of ice cream.)

Just ask. You never know what they'll say.

Our local Tandy Store has a worktable day. People can bring leathercraft projects and work on them at the store. There are experienced people there to help you and the store lets you use some of their tools so that you can do project you can't do at home. Most beginner leather projects are cheap and they are so much more fun using the wider array of tools and dyes.

Be careful about the airport plan, people get freaked out easily and watching planes take of and land is now considered creepy.

Zoo/Aquarium (we have a membership, but the also offer $1 days or discounts for groups)

Discovery Center (it's a science based place where the kids can look around and go science experiements)

We have a farm that run by the local park service, almost every month they have an activity for kids

Are there any historical sites in your area?

Any natural wonders or good examples of certain climates/geological formations etc?

Any places where you can get a membership (like a zoo) that might cost a bit at first but if you keep going, pays for itself and then some. . .

Any public performances? In our area there are sometimes lunchtime concerts, summer Shakespeare in the park or even shows at the mall.

Any buildings that are good examples of certain periods of architecture?

Any local clubs? Our local geology club has a once-a-year open house for the public that has things for the kids to do, displays etc. They are trying to recruit new members but even if you decide not to join, it is still interesting to go once a year.

ArAny public performances? In our area there are sometimes lunchtime concerts, summer Shakespeare in the park or even shows at the mall.

Oh! I forgot about that kind of thing.

In our city, one of the big cathedrals downtown has 30-minute lunchtime concerts once a week for most of the academic year. They are free and just the right length for younger attendees.

Oh, and what about your local library? Ours offers "music in the library" concerts once a month, as well as a variety of performances and programs each week.