Menu

if you don't follow 4 yr history cycle, what's your plan?

caedmyn

I'm not sure I want to do the 4 year history cycle, but I do want some sort of plan. If you don't follow the 4 year history cycle, what's your plan for scheduling/covering history over several years?

We did/will do...

2 years American

4 years World

2 years American

4 years World

It gives us two complete World history cycles, allowing true immersion into international affairs without feeling that we are not doing justice to American history.

We school year round (but light in the summer) and I have planned several geography unit studies to take place in the summer.

I do a world history overview for the first half of the school year, and then American history for the second half of the school year. I usually start a month early in the summer so as to get through the world history up to Columbus by the end of Januray. I am repeating the same sequence each year.

In addition, I do 2-3 in depth lapbook projects of a certain time or civilization in the fall semester on world history, and also 2-3 lapbooks in the spring semester on American history subjects or events.

This is similar to the way Epi Kardia organizes their study of history.

I lean towards LCC but I wanted everyone on the same history cycle - especially since I have no independent students! So we are doing a 5 year cycle:

1 - Greeks (and some Egypt)

• WTM Year 1 - first half
  • LCC Grades 3 & 9 (plus Egypt from Grade 2)

2 - Romans

• WTM Year 1 - finish
  • LCC Grades 4 & 10

3. Middle Ages

• WTM Year 2
  • LCC Grades 5 & 11

4. Early Modern Times

• WTM Year 3
  • LCC Grades 6 & 12 (and probably literature from 7 & 8 - haven't gotten this far)

5. Early Modern Times

• WTM Year 4
  • LCC Grades 7 & 12 (and probably literature from 8 - haven't gotten this far)

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible for formal academics - getting ideas first from LCC (Latin Centered Curriculum) then filling in with ideas from WTM and AO.

I'll do an overview of world history & geography in 2nd grade, then start the history cycle in 3rd, great books in 8th. Or next year, since my 9 yo and myself can also use a world history overview.

I hope this makes sense - I have a splitting headache. :glare:

I like how Sonlight does it. I'm not using their cores anymore, but I think the following is a good plan.

2 years world history, leaving out most of the heavy modern stuff

2 years American History, covering World Wars fairly well in the second year

1 year geography and world cultures

2 years world history, starting over again at Ancients

1 year American history

That would take you up through eighth grade and gives a good foundation for whatever you might choose for your high school years.

Here's what we're actually doing (again, up through 8th grade) --

3 years world history

2 years American history

3 years world history, with some world cultures interspersed

I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible for formal academics - getting ideas first from LCC (Latin Centered Curriculum) then filling in with ideas from WTM and AO.

I have simplified this year as well. It's imperative to have days that end in success, not tears or frustration, so I'm following Amy's lead here. Great plan!

We've been all over the place with history. This year, we're trying alternating units in world and American history. Something like this:

Ancient Egypt/Mesopotamia

Native Americans and Explorers

Ancient China

Colonial Life

Ancient India

Revolutionary times

Ancient Greece

Next year we'll pick up where we left off with both.

Keep in mind my son is a history buff! It's by far his favorite subject and he can't get enough.

K-We studied U.S. presidents, I didn't use a curriculum we just did our own thing.

1-US Geography/Star Spangled States (I had to modify it slightly for his age)

2-SOTW1

3-SOTW2

4-SOTW3, State history and he is taking an American history class

5-SOTW4 and American history

6-7-8 I'm not sure yet. I don't think he would like doing another round of SOTW. Has anyone tried History of the World with a middle-schooler that absolutely loves history!!? Or maybe I'll just have him work through SOTW on his own in 3-years and let him pick areas he want's to read more about. I still have a couple years to figure it out.

I did in 1st-3rd no formal History, I focused on Bible en did some projects like:

- how my grandparents lived

- monks and knights

- greek and romans

Our Dutch curriculums know a 3y cycle:

4th-6th

7th-9th

10th-12th

we are now in the first.

I like this idea (sans the dutch curriculum part ;))