Menu

Sponge Bob leads to Sponge Brains

:iagree:

I think watching Caillou should be considered torture. I loathe that show.

And yes, we do watch Spongebob at this house sometimes. Personally I think DH's love of Clint Eastwood movies damages one more than a happy Sponge. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you. I'll take silly and gross over whiny little brats any day.

It was good fortune indeed that Caillou bored both my kids silly. Bored the daughter who at four would sit entranced by 30 year old, slow-as-molasses documentaries on agricultural machinery no less.

Is there really anyone left who does not know that too much tv watching is bad for young children? How many more studies will be done to let parents know that they are supposed to talk with their children, allow them to explore their world, and give them art supplies, and plenty of outdoor time? At this point in time isn't that kind of a "Well, duh" conclusion?

I read Endangered Minds a million years ago and it seems to me that one of the conclusions waaaayy back then was that Sesame Street with its short camera cuts was shortening kids attention spans. I don't think this is anything new.

So we are dissing on a little boy because he is bald and you do not like his voice.:001_huh::lol: Good thing he isn't real.;)

I was kinda kidding about the bald part. But....that is weird, 'cuz his little sister has a ton of hair (why is he bald??? He doesn't have a medical problem that I'm aware of). As for the voice....I totally stand by that one. I can.not.stand.it. :tongue_smilie:

:D

The Band Geeks episode is the best (that's my opinion having only seen it a couple of times on vacation cable. lol) I don't like the art-- the colors give me a headache, but the dialogue is surprisingly funny.

Band Geeks - Spongebob Squarepants Transcripts

Written by C.H. Greenblatt, Aaron Springer, and Merriwether Williams

(Squidward plays his clarinet until doorbell rings)

Doctor: Uhh, yeah, we're with the pet hospital down the street and I understand that you have a dying animal on the premises. (phone rings)

Squidward: Hello. You've reached the house of unrecognized talent. Please start after the (plays a clarinet note)

Squilliam: Sounds like you've got a dying animal to attend to, eh ol' chum?

Squidward: (gasps) Squilliam Fancyson from band class?

Squilliam: I hear you're playing the cash register now.

Squidward: Sometimes. Uh, how's the unibrow?

Squilliam: It's big and valuable. I'm the leader of a big fancy band now, and we're suppose to play the bubble bowl next week.

Squidward: The bu-bu-bu... The bu-bu-bu... The bu-bu-bu...

Squilliam: That's right. I'm living your dreams Squidward. The problem is, I'm busy next week and can't make it. So, I was hoping you and your band could cover for us.

Squidward: Ohh, uhh, I...I, uhh...

Squilliam: I knew it. You don't even have a band. Well, I'll just let you get back to the service industry now.

Squidward: Hold it! It just so happens that I don't sell fast food, I do have a band, and we're going to play that Bubble Bowl. How do you like that, Fancyboy?

Squilliam: Good luck, next Tuesday. I hope the audience brings lots of...Ibuprofen. (hangs up phone)

Squidward: I've got to drum up a marching band fast. Drum...haha...band humor.

Sandy: Looking to add fulfillment to your dull, dull life?

Plankton: Then become part of the greatest musical sensation to ever hit Bikini Bottom.

Mrs Puff: And be forever adored by thousands of people you don't know.

Mr Krabs: Not to mention free refreshments.

Larry: Practice begins tonight. 8:30 sharp. (Squidward looks at his watch while driving a shell cart)

Squidward: Stupid music rental clerk made me late. That trilobite didn't know an oboe from an elbow. Elbow, heh, more band humor.

All: Blah, blah, blah, blah...

Squidward: People, people, settle down. Ok, now. How many of you have played musical instruments before?

Plankton: Do instruments of torture count?

Squidward: No.

Patrick: Is mayonnaise an instruments?

Squidward: No, Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument. (Patrick raises his hand again) Horse Radish is not an instrument, either. That's fine. No one has any experience. Fortunately, I have enough talent for all of you. (laughs)

Mr Krabs: When do we get the free food?

Squidward: Ok, try to repeat after me. (Squidward plays 5 notes) Brass section, go. (brass section repeats) Good. Now the wind. (wind section repeats) And the drums. (drums blow on their sticks which blow out and stick Squidward to the wall) Too bad that didn't kill me. Let's just try stepping in rhythm. Now I want everyone to stand in straight rows of five.

Spongebob: Is this the part where we start kicking.

Squidward: No, Spongebob, that's a chorus line.

Patrick: Kicking? I want to do some kicking. (Patrick kicks Sandy in the butt)

Sandy: Why, you... (both take fight outside where Patrick screams)

Patrick: Whoever is the owner of the white Sudan, you left your lights on. (Patrick walks in with his body in a trumpet)

Narrator: Day two. (band walking down a street playing)

Squidward: Ok, that's perfect everybody. Bubble Bowl here we come. Flag twirlers, really spin those things. Ok...turn. Flag twirlers, lets' go. I wanna see some spinning. Flag twirlers let's move. C'mon, move. (flag twirlers fly in air and explode when running into each other. trumpet player plays the good-bye song)

If you want to read the rest, start from Day 3 on this page:

http://members.outpost10f.com/~lindax/spongebob/transcripts/spongebob%20transcript%20season%202/spongebob%20transcript%20Band%20Geeks.html

I read Endangered Minds a million years ago and it seems to me that one of the conclusions waaaayy back then was that Sesame Street with its short camera cuts was shortening kids attention spans. I don't think this is anything new.

Comic books were supposed to damage kids too. And lord forbid your child had an interest in novels a century ago!

Wow. Spongebob is silly and fun. The timing of this thread is funny though -- this morning I woke up to find my 8yo and 5yo at the school table with a pile of paper, crayons and coloring pencils scattered everywhere. They had created dozens of drawing of various places/scenery/items found in Bikini Bottom and were in the process of writing a script together for a Spongebob play! ha ha ;)

I was kinda kidding about the bald part. But....that is weird, 'cuz his little sister has a ton of hair (why is he bald??? He doesn't have a medical problem that I'm aware of). As for the voice....I totally stand by that one. I can.not.stand.it. :tongue_smilie:

When I worked at a bookstore I had a parent who bought Caillou books for his daughter who had alopecia . She could apparently identify with him.

I'd rather my kids identify with Spongebob myself. :D

Oh, this one is cute! Squiward is trying to sell his house.

Opposite Day - Spongebob Squarepants Transcripts

Written by Chuck Klein, Jay Lender, and Mr. Lawrence

(Squidward is sleeping and hearing noises. He awakens to reveal Spongebob and Patrick under his blanket with a sign that reads "happy birthday")

Spongebob & Patrick: Surprise! Happy birthday, Squidward! (all 3 standing in front of a cake) Happy happy birthday! Happy birthday cake! (standing in front of a picture of a seahorse and Squidward has the tail) Happy happy birthday! Pin the tail on the seahorse! (surrounded by presents) Happy happy birthday! Happy birthday Squidward! (Spongebob & Patrick run out of Squidward's house)

Squidward: It’s not my birthday! (shuts door and takes off party hat) That’s it, I’m moving out of this neighborhood!

Realtor Lady: (looking at a picture of Squidward's house) Absolutely, Mr Tentacles! (woman from Bikini Realty on phone) I can sell your home in a heartbeat.

Squidward: Oh that’s great news, because I want to move as soon as possible.

Realtor Lady: No problem! As long as it’s not infested with nematodes, or surrounded by troublesome neighbors or something like that.

Squidward: Oh sure, there’s none of that... Did you say neighbors?

Realtor Lady: Of course! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a sale fall through because of bad neighbors.

Squidward: Neighbors. Uhh...

Realtor Lady: Anyway, I’ll be by tomorrow to check out the house. See you then! (both hang up)

Squidward: Spongebob! No one will ever buy my house with him living next door! Whatever a good neighbor would do, he does the opposite! Opposite...opposite... (Later, Spongebob is sleeping but is awaken from Squidward's instrument playing outside)

Spongebob: Umm, Squidward, why are you playing that drum? (Squidward stops playing)

Squidward: Drum? What drum? (puts the drum on the ground and punches a hole in it) This is just my wig case! (puts on the wig and frolics around) Come on Spongebob, tackle me!

Spongebob: Squidward! You need bed rest! (pushes Squidward to his house as Squidward is blowing bubbles) I’ll keep you safe until you’re well again.

Squidward: Oh, I get it. You don’t know what day it is, do you?

Spongebob: Uhh, Wednesday?

Squidward: Why, it’s Opposite Day! (Spongebob is confused) You mean you’ve never heard of it? Boy, have you been missing out! Opposite Day is the one day of the year when you get to act different! Normally I’m stuffy, boring, but today I’m silly and spontaneous!

Spongebob: Does everybody know about Opposite Day?

Squidward: Oh sure! It’s a game! Get it?

Spongebob: Oh, a game.

Squidward: Yeah! Normally, you’re really loud and annoying, so what are you going to be today?

Spongebob: Quiet and out of the way! Yay!

Squidward: Yeah! Why don’t you get a jump on it.

Spongebob: I love...I mean, I hate Opposite Day. (giggles as he runs back into his pineapple) I’m not ready!

Squidward: So long, chum! (takes off wig) And goodbye Bikini Bottom!

Spongebob: (running to Gary) Gary! It’s Opposite Day and I... (stops running) ...walk, don’t run. And I’m gonna...opposite...opposite...I’m just going to crawl into bed and do nothing all day. (crawls into bed) Too bad it only comes once a year, huh Gary?

Gary: Meow.

Spongebob: Gary, where's your holiday spirit?!

Gary: Bark.

Spongebob: (doorbell rings) Company! I hate company. Who’s there?

The rest is here:

http://members.outpost10f.com/~lindax/spongebob/transcripts/spongebob%20transcript%20season%201/spongebob%20transcript%20Opposite%20Day.html

Edited by LibraryLover

I was kinda kidding about the bald part. But....that is weird, 'cuz his little sister has a ton of hair (why is he bald??? He doesn't have a medical problem that I'm aware of). As for the voice....I totally stand by that one. I can.not.stand.it.

I know you were kidding. I have no idea why he is bald either and it always seemed strange to me too since his father has tons of hair also. Honestly I just thought the show was so-so it really brought forth no strong emotions from me either way. I'm suprised how many of you loath it all together.;)

I think most people have missed the point. It's not the content of any show, it's the pacing of the show. Think of it like recharging a battery. If you recharge a battery after it's only lost 1/4 of its power time and time again you will "train" the battery to only have 1/4 of its potential power. It's difficult to get the "whole" battery back again.

With these fast paced shows and young, developing brains, if they are "trained" to move at a quick, shallow pace, they appear to lose their ability for longer, in depth concentration. One hopes it's not such a big deal with adults, but it sure seems to be a big deal with developing youngsters. EVERY study I have read shows it. I don't have links, but feel free to google. Some very respected places have or are studying aspects of it.

FWIW, I can see the correlation among students at the high school with how much in depth they like to go and how much TV they watched when young vs reading or working/playing outside. Granted, correlation never shows causation and I don't ask every single student, but it's enough that we are glad we limited our youngsters TV viewing considerably.

Some TV is fine. There are some great shows out there. As adults, have at it. As growing kids, enjoy some. As really young kids, there are better things to occupy the bulk of their time if you want full brain potential.

Twitter is another one currently being examined. One report I was reading talked about how our brain's attention span got shortened to an hour when TV came around, then half an hour when the sitcom became popular. Now it's getting shortened to the number of characters in a tweet.

How many times do people only read the top line or two of an e-mail or article of some sort, then lose interest or assume they know what the rest says? It happens a lot in my world (high school ps students).

Before Spongebob there was Ren and Stimpy, which my two oldest kids loved. Unfortunately for them, Dad did not, so they were not able to get their Ren and Stimply fix. They did get to watch Walker, Texas Ranger with Grandma every Saturday night, which was a very violent show. LOL.

I'm more of a Little Bear person. Thomas the Tank Engine -- especially with George Carlin narrating (!!!) -- was also fun to watch.

My dc have watched Spongebob. The olders introduced my youngest (with dev disabilities) to Spongebob. If Spongebob sapped my dc's brains I'll never know. Oldest has very high SAT scores (no test prep whatsoever) and is on track to complete an IB diploma. dd is in all honors classes. Perhaps my superior abilities with homeschooling couteracted the Spongebob effect. Youngest has down syndrome, but tested high on psych tests so ps could not slap the label they wanted to give him on him.

Honestly the writers of Spongebob are pretty creative. I really liked their version of the Tell Tale Heart. I think it's fun when I find literary references in shows. (I'm a nerd).

Well, I think studies were done years ago on Sesame Street that demonstrated fast pacing of TV shows can cause problems, especially for pre-schoolers, so this is certainly not the first (nor only program on TV currently) that probably causes such problems. Such attention problems probably occur for anyone with attention sensitivities, too, and not just pre-schoolers....

I'm wondering if they're doing a follow-up to see if Caillou watchers become whiners, LOL - I'm sure we can find fault with most every show on television today (I know I certainly can). I think the answer is not to watch often (or before school)....

The study was done on 4 year olds.

Spongebob is not meant for 4 year olds.

We love Spongebob in my house. Cailou on the other hand...*shudder*

:iagree: The kids watch it occasionally when they are at gramma's, they enjoy it. I am not a big fan HOWEVER I did end up quoting a line from the episode they had on last time we were at gramma's in my signature, because it cracked me up. If it is all someone is watching day in and day out I can see an issue with it but the same is for any tv program really. We don't need research to prove that staring at an electronic box watching *anything* for hours at a time is unhealthy.

I was looking at Mchale's Navy and Lucy show transcripts today. They are not the least bit big intellectual. They are not nearly as sophisticated as even SB --or other shows. There is a level of intellect and knowledge that does not need to exist for those old slapstick/ stupid MIL jokes. It's so pretictable and not the least best challenging. The depth of the jokes-- the knowledge needed to understand modern humor --is much greater today.

How intellectual was The Partridge Family compared to Modern Family? The writing today is so nuanced, and demand a much greater depth of knowledge.

Edited by LibraryLover

I was looking at Mchale's Navy and Lucy show transcripts today. They are not the least bit big intellectual. They are not nearly as sophisticated as even SB --or other shows. There is a level of intellect and knowledge that does not need to exist for those old slapstick/ stupid MIL jokes. It's so pretictable and not the least best challenging. The depth of the jokes-- the knowledge needed to understand modern humor --is much greater today.

How intellectual was The Partridge Family compared to Modern Family? The writing today is so nuanced, and demand a much greater depth of knowledge.

I haven't watched any of those shows you've mentioned, but one we used to watch that I think was great for nuance was The Beverly Hillbillies. That's one we used to tape and watch as a family when the kids were old enough to "get it." I still enjoy them, but I'm pretty certain we've seen them all now.

But once again, this study isn't about what's in the shows... it's about the pacing. :tongue_smilie: