Menu

Help with my 8th grade ds.....

Hi all,

I have started to type a post and then delete it multiple times....... We are 3 weeks into the new school year and it just doesn't feel like it is going well. I have been homeschooling for 9 years and graduated one dd and this is the first time I have really not felt good about most of what I have chosen or the way things are progressing.

One of our goals this year is to firm up his test taking skills. Today my ds took his 2nd BJU Space and Earth science test and scored another 73%. After the first test, we made a study guide and wrote out flashcards to study the terms. He studied last night and this is the result?? We are also doing civics this year and using the Land of Fair play for CLP. He took the first multiple choice test and scored in the low 80's.

After 3 days into using Lial's prealgebra, he informed me that the math was too easy. So we looked through the book together and the only chapter that was new to him was the last one in the book. He wanted to move on to Algebra 1. So I pulled the Lial's Introductory Algebra off the shelf and we started. We seemed to have hit a wall at the end of chapter 1 and I know it is developmental but he refuses to see or understand that he may not be ready for this course.

We are using Sonlight core 5 (G) this year and I am really not thrilled with it. Seems like a disjointed reading list. I don't feel involved at all and I really dislike the IG.

My ds tends to rush through his work, uses sloppy handwriting, and doesn't answer in complete sentences. For example, I told him to take his time with the science test today and he was finished in 10 minutes.

Here is my ds's schedule:

Science: BJU Space and Earth

Math: Lial Introductory Algebra

Geography: Abeka (through our co-op)

Language Arts: GwG 8, WWS, roots study for vocabulary

Sonlight Core 5 for "history" and literature

Logic: Art of Argument (co-op)

Civics: Land of Fair Play

My ds takes about 2 hours to do all his "school" at the moment. We start our co-op next week and will add in geography and logic. I read a thread last week about how long it takes your child to do their work and honestly started to question if I am doing things correctly. My 11th grade dd doesn't spend 7-8 hours with her school work.

What am I doing wrong? I just feel so dejected. My ds doesn't want my help with things and gets angry when I try to explain something to him. Is that a boy trait? I would love to sit and work with him but he doesn't want me there. I am at a loss...... My ds is very bright. Not gifted but bright. The only thing that is going right this year is WWS. There's a silver lining in every cloud.

Thanks for reading this far. My IRL friends always tell me how much better an education he is getting at home and that I really expect so much. I needed to come here to get advice I can use.

Thanks

Edited by Chris in PA

I would think if he's getting done in two hours, he's skimming a lot. I work with my son on most subjects, so I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but we're working a lot on skills this year too.

How does your ds feel about what you're doing? Is he excited about the work, a subject? Is he excited about the literature in core 5? Does it match his reading/interest level? How does he feel about historical fiction?

I get you on the skills. I gave ds a vocabulary test today (from LL LotR), he missed 8 out of 25. I'm trying to figure out how to help him that the idea of studying more seriously. He had some writing delays and flash cards would be torture for him.

My ds likes to talk about everything, but he doesn't necessarily accept teaching on everything. Do you have a meeting time daily? Do you check his work together?

I would think if he's getting done in two hours, he's skimming a lot. I work with my son on most subjects, so I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but we're working a lot on skills this year too.

How does your ds feel about what you're doing? Is he excited about the work, a subject? Is he excited about the literature in core 5? Does it match his reading/interest level? How does he feel about historical fiction?

I get you on the skills. I gave ds a vocabulary test today (from LL LotR), he missed 8 out of 25. I'm trying to figure out how to help him that the idea of studying more seriously. He had some writing delays and flash cards would be torture for him.

My ds likes to talk about everything, but he doesn't necessarily accept teaching on everything. Do you have a meeting time daily? Do you check his work together?

quizlet.com lets you make virtual flash cards, play games with the words, etc. Might be an alternative to regular flash cards.

To be honest I don't know how excited he is about anything. He does like the science we are using as there is high interest in the topic. I think the reading in Core 5 is just "get it done". I know he skims things. He took the IOWA test last year and he weakest area was reading comprehension. Makes sense if he is skimming material.

I think he feels like a failure when we go over things and he has stuff wrong. He has a tendency towards perfection. I thought we had worked through most of those issues. I am trying very hard to be encouraging and positive. I check his work daily and we do go over the things he misses.

Maybe I just need to sit in the room with him? Check his comprehension after completing each subject? Just not sure what will work with this child who just wants to get it done.

I think that Sonlight 5 is far to easy for 8th grade.

I would beef up the history and literature quite a bit. Otherwise, it looks just fine.

Carole,

Any suggestions for history or lit? We have completed 2 years of American history and last year he did 20th century world history at our co-op. I was looking at the possibility of medieval history since we haven't done much of that in the past. I am not sure what to use. I looked at HO level 2 but don't know how much better that would be than what we are currently doing.

Thanks

Just not sure what will work with this child who just wants to get it done.

Assigning work and have him be done as soon as it is completed may encourage him to skim and do sloppy work.

I would switch to assigning a certain time he has to work on school - that way, skimming brings no benefit. That's the way I do it - my kids have to put in x amount of time each day (4.5 hours for my 7th grader)

Now, if he begins to work extra slooooow in order not have to do much, you have to change strategy - but it might be worth a try.

Carole,

Any suggestions for history or lit? We have completed 2 years of American history and last year he did 20th century world history at our co-op. I was looking at the possibility of medieval history since we haven't done much of that in the past. I am not sure what to use. I looked at HO level 2 but don't know how much better that would be than what we are currently doing.

Thanks

Sonlight 6 for world history, maybe? In DD's 8th grade year we used Spielvogel, and separated literature from it entirely.

For lit, you can use Sonlight for integrated lit. If you're Reformed, you could maybe consider Omnibus I for history, lit, and theology. I looked at it, and thought it was much stronger in lit than in the other two, but then, I'm not Reformed, so the theology was 'off' a bit for me and I ended up not using it.

How do you feel about teaching literature without a curriculum? That's what I did. I used SWB's writing and literature guidelines in both her CD and TWTM. It worked out quite well.

If you want to use a separate history text but still have a literature program, I STRONG suggest Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. Make sure you do the unit studies, and you'll have a very rich literary education. Plus your DS will be studying absolutely foundational literature for Western Civ studies later, in addition to the awesome Trilogy.

I would require him to outline his reading assignments. Taking notes would not only require him to slow down and pay attention, but it would probably help him learn the material and do better on the tests. FWIW, I would use the outlines as a way of making yourself involved. Pointing out where he has done a good job of focusing on the important information and where he hasn't will bring you directly into the material w/him and hopefully in a way that he will be receptive to your input.

I would require him to outline his reading assignments. Taking notes would not only require him to slow down and pay attention, but it would probably help him learn the material and do better on the tests. FWIW, I would use the outlines as a way of making yourself involved. Pointing out where he has done a good job of focusing on the important information and where he hasn't will bring you directly into the material w/him and hopefully in a way that he will be receptive to your input.

:iagree:That is excellent advice.

If you are not into formal outlining: I have my kids take note from their reading, but not in complete sentences, to structure however works well for them. Serves the same purpose.

This is a great idea. It will help with my goals for this school year as well; learning how to outline.

Well - I know that a lot of the people (myself included) in that "how many hours thread" had a foreign language in there - that can add considerably to the time needed. Also - we do quite a lot of history, and science labs.

Keep in mind though - we do have "light" days where we get done far faster - the 4-6 hours is just the average.

I'd say beef up on what you already have, maybe add more reading comprehension and writing along with a stronger history curriculum.

My boys LOVED Trisms History Makers in 6th and 7th - it can be used anywhere from 5th-8th and is a very interresting overview of world history.

Hang in there :grouphug:

Hi all,

I have started to type a post and then delete it multiple times....... We are 3 weeks into the new school year and it just doesn't feel like it is going well. I have been homeschooling for 9 years and graduated one dd and this is the first time I have really not felt good about most of what I have chosen or the way things are progressing.

One of our goals this year is to firm up his test taking skills. Today my ds took his 2nd BJU Space and Earth science test and scored another 73%. After the first test, we made a study guide and wrote out flashcards to study the terms. He studied last night and this is the result?? We are also doing civics this year and using the Land of Fair play for CLP. He took the first multiple choice test and scored in the low 80's.

After 3 days into using Lial's prealgebra, he informed me that the math was too easy. So we looked through the book together and the only chapter that was new to him was the last one in the book. He wanted to move on to Algebra 1. So I pulled the Lial's Introductory Algebra off the shelf and we started. We seemed to have hit a wall at the end of chapter 1 and I know it is developmental but he refuses to see or understand that he may not be ready for this course.

We are using Sonlight core 5 (G) this year and I am really not thrilled with it. Seems like a disjointed reading list. I don't feel involved at all and I really dislike the IG.

My ds tends to rush through his work, uses sloppy handwriting, and doesn't answer in complete sentences. For example, I told him to take his time with the science test today and he was finished in 10 minutes.

Here is my ds's schedule:

Science: BJU Space and Earth

Math: Lial Introductory Algebra

Geography: Abeka (through our co-op)

Language Arts: GwG 8, WWS, roots study for vocabulary

Sonlight Core 5 for "history" and literature

Logic: Art of Argument (co-op)

Civics: Land of Fair Play

My ds takes about 2 hours to do all his "school" at the moment. We start our co-op next week and will add in geography and logic. I read a thread last week about how long it takes your child to do their work and honestly started to question if I am doing things correctly. My 11th grade dd doesn't spend 7-8 hours with her school work.

What am I doing wrong? I just feel so dejected. My ds doesn't want my help with things and gets angry when I try to explain something to him. Is that a boy trait? I would love to sit and work with him but he doesn't want me there. I am at a loss...... My ds is very bright. Not gifted but bright. The only thing that is going right this year is WWS. There's a silver lining in every cloud.

Thanks for reading this far. My IRL friends always tell me how much better an education he is getting at home and that I really expect so much. I needed to come here to get advice I can use.

Thanks

First, :grouphug:.

2 hours a day for all you have listed doesn't seem like enough time at all. You have a lot of curriculum listed. Too much social studies stuff IMO.

Isn't Abeka Geography a full social studies curriculum? And isn't Land of Fair Play also a full social studies curriculum? And then, adding in Sonlight Core 5, it looks to me like you have 3 social studies programs on your child's plate. So, I don't think that you need to beef up history but rather scale back. I would have one social studies/history program for him. And since you aren't happy with Core 5, find something else for literature. What about Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings or Lightning Lit or something like that? Core 5, IMO, isn't necessarily too easy for eighth grade, but in your situation I wouldn't use it because you just have too much other stuff going on with his schedule and you don't like it.

I agree with 8 about note taking/outlining.

Also, I'd make him do his studying in a room where you are nearby. No going to his room doing his work alone. I'd tell him he needs to study in your presence for science and math. With math, you could do something like Key to Algebra while reviewing pre-algebra topics for now. If he thinks he can handle the Lial's book, I would tell him he needs a certain score on a test before he can move from one chapter to the next. Otherwise, he'll need to review. Tell him there is no hurry to get through the text.

I'd also require that he engage in some discussion about his subjects with you. The issue he has with you explaining things can be a teen trait I think, not necessarily boy only. IMO he's maybe trying to become more independent and kids that age don't necessarily think we parents know much of anything.

Since you are doing two things at co-op, I think that at least takes a couple subjects off your plate. Without co-op, I would start looking at one or two online classes a year for him and possible dual enrollment at cc in a few years.

Finally, what are his thoughts? What is he interested in?

Okay, probably more input than you wanted. Hope something is helpful to you.

I am getting some really great advice here. This is what I need to hear. After talking with my dh last night and then my ds, I am making some changes.

1. We are dropping Sonlight. I was always drawn to it and thought this would be a great year to try it. Honestly my ds doesn't like the books he is reading and I don't like a pre-planned curriculum. I have discovered that I really enjoy the planning. We talked about what books he enjoys and I have 8 of them sitting on the table right now for us to look at this morning. I am going to plan out his literature and add in lit analysis ala the WTM.

2. My dh really likes regentrude's idea of assigning a time for each subject and not a "check it off when you're done" philosophy. DS will balk about it but we are going to give it a try next week.

3. We are going to start outlining in both science and civics. I think that will help him learn valuable writing skills.

4. I will continue with WWS as it is revealing areas of weakness for my ds (although it is very quick for him to get through). I am going to add some more weekly writing assignments into his schedule.

5. I am going to chose some additional longer projects for him to do throughout the year in civics, science. This will help to develop research skills.

I had thought about doing Latin this school and I still have Henle on the shelf. Another thought to ponder......

Thanks!

First, :grouphug:.

2 hours a day for all you have listed doesn't seem like enough time at all. You have a lot of curriculum listed. Too much social studies stuff IMO.

Isn't Abeka Geography a full social studies curriculum? And isn't Land of Fair Play also a full social studies curriculum? And then, adding in Sonlight Core 5, it looks to me like you have 3 social studies programs on your child's plate. So, I don't think that you need to beef up history but rather scale back. I would have one social studies/history program for him. And since you aren't happy with Core 5, find something else for literature. What about Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings or Lightning Lit or something like that? Core 5, IMO, isn't necessarily too easy for eighth grade, but in your situation I wouldn't use it because you just have too much other stuff going on with his schedule and you don't like it.

I agree with 8 about note taking/outlining.

Also, I'd make him do his studying in a room where you are nearby. No going to his room doing his work alone. I'd tell him he needs to study in your presence for science and math. With math, you could do something like Key to Algebra while reviewing pre-algebra topics for now. If he thinks he can handle the Lial's book, I would tell him he needs a certain score on a test before he can move from one chapter to the next. Otherwise, he'll need to review. Tell him there is no hurry to get through the text.

I'd also require that he engage in some discussion about his subjects with you. The issue he has with you explaining things can be a teen trait I think, not necessarily boy only. IMO he's maybe trying to become more independent and kids that age don't necessarily think we parents know much of anything.

Since you are doing two things at co-op, I think that at least takes a couple subjects off your plate. Without co-op, I would start looking at one or two online classes a year for him and possible dual enrollment at cc in a few years.

Finally, what are his thoughts? What is he interested in?

Okay, probably more input than you wanted. Hope something is helpful to you.

Violet,

We are definately dropping the Sonlight. That leaves us with Abeka World Geography and civics. I think we are going to stick with both of them. I want to do LLfLotR but it on my list for next school year. I want to do it with both my dd and ds. We used LL7 last year and the books were good but I didn't like the guides much at all. I am going to plan out my own thing this weekend for his literature going forward.

He does do schoolwork in the classroom. He just never wants me in there. But that is changing starting today. We will be doing a lot of working together. We are taking the Algebra 1 slow. Today we will do more review problems together.

I definately think he is trying to become more independent and I know that is a good thing. I talked to him about how I will be needing to work with him for awhile to make sure he is doing things correctly. Once he develops a good set of habits and study skills then he can have independence back.

His big interest is computers. I am going to start programming stuff with him in 9th grade. I wanted this year to be our year of firming up the skills he needs for high school.

Thanks for your advice..... It definately helps.

Chris,

Have you listened to Susan's lecture about helping kids become more independent?

Of course I'm not there at your house, but one of the things that has helped my youngest has been more daily checking from Mom. So far this school-year, I have been checking his work in each subject nearly every day. (Time consuming, I know) BUT I'm not interested in doubling back to fix sloppy habits. There are a couple of subjects that require more face-time than others, but I am not at the lad's elbow for his whole day; however, even with the subjects that he does primarily on his own, he still has to show me his work before he moves onto the next subject. I'm just requiring more concrete output from each one-hour block of time. At the end of the day, I am confident that he had a productive day. He is too.

Kids know when they are goofing off. It makes them sullen and cranky. They are psyched that they are getting away with it; but, of course, they know they are getting away with something. Which makes them distant. And combative.

Of course, I can't say that's what is happening at your house. But I can say it has happened here.

Hourly/daily accountability can fix that. Of course, I don't plan to be that involved for the rest of the lad's life on that level. The reins will loosen. But I've found that combative behavior is usually a sign that I need to tighten up, not loosen up.

At least that's the way it works around here. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Chris,

Have you listened to Susan's lecture about helping kids become more independent?

Of course I'm not there at your house, but one of the things that has helped my youngest has been more daily checking from Mom. So far this school-year, I have been checking his work in each subject nearly every day. (Time consuming, I know) BUT I'm not interested in doubling back to fix sloppy habits. There are a couple of subjects that require more face-time than others, but I am not at the lad's elbow for his whole day; however, even with the subjects that he does primarily on his own, he still has to show me his work before he moves onto the next subject. I'm just requiring more concrete output from each one-hour block of time. At the end of the day, I am confident that he had a productive day. He is too.

Kids know when they are goofing off. It makes them sullen and cranky. They are psyched that they are getting away with it; but, of course, they know they are getting away with something. Which makes them distant. And combative.

Of course, I can't say that's what is happening at your house. But I can say it has happened here.

Hourly/daily accountability can fix that. Of course, I don't plan to be that involved for the rest of the lad's life on that level. The reins will loosen. But I've found that combative behavior is usually a sign that I need to tighten up, not loosen up.

Peace,

Janice

You have received a lot of good, specific advice and I think you will find success in the changes you plan on making as long as you are consistent. We had to move to regentrude's plan of specific hours otherwise my oldest son would go as fast as he could in order to have more electronic gaming time in his day.

I also agree with Janice's whole post. In fact, I have lived her post. Kids that are getting away with slacking off end up short on the necessary skills that they need for the increasingly more difficult schoolwork. The sullenness builds, which is rough for both teacher and student. For me, it is exhausting to stay on top of it all this way, but not nearly so much as it is to have to go back in and try to shore up a faulty foundation.

:grouphug: to you and best wishes for a productive and pleasant school year.

Chris,

Peace,

Janice

Janice,

You have so accurately described my house! :001_smile: I feel like someone has finely put into words what life is like here. We are going to be working on the daily accountability thing. It will be hard at first but I know we can get there. I am going to download SWB's lecture today and listen.

Thanks!

You have received a lot of good, specific advice and I think you will find success in the changes you plan on making as long as you are consistent. We had to move to regentrude's plan of specific hours otherwise my oldest son would go as fast as he could in order to have more electronic gaming time in his day.

I also agree with Janice's whole post. In fact, I have lived her post. Kids that are getting away with slacking off end up short on the necessary skills that they need for the increasingly more difficult schoolwork. The sullenness builds, which is rough for both teacher and student. For me, it is exhausting to stay on top of it all this way, but not nearly so much as it is to have to go back in and try to shore up a faulty foundation.

:grouphug: to you and best wishes for a productive and pleasant school year.

Lisa,

This is my son. He has other HS friends that he talks with on Skype daily as well. It is such a challenge to balance all of this stuff. I see the sullenness and irritability build each day. It frustrates and saddens me to stand back and watch it happen. I am really glad I recognize what's going on early in the year so we can make necessary changes. I feel much better knowing I am not the only one experiencing this.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I think some of what you are describing is teenage boy normal. I have been really struggling with my 15ds not wanting my help with anything. He would rather get the problems wrong than let me help. I chalk it up to me being in charge of every single aspect of his life, so it is normal to get a little rebellion. It helps that I talked about it with a friend IRL who went through the same thing and had many people tell her it was normal. So I have handed off a lot of his education, which makes me sad. He is taking a BW online class for writing, VHSG online class for lit, VHSG Chemistry with lab at the local college through our homeschool group, Spanish and Theater with our homeschool group. He is finishing Kinetic Algebra and then will start TT Geometry. He is doing his history, logic (w/dvd), Bible, grammar, and vocab with me, but they are really independent subjects for him. The plan is to sit down once a week and discuss the Bible and history, but I'm having trouble keeping up with the reading right now! Hopefully we'll start that soon. I have found that once my kids reach formal science (7th grade or so), they need a lecture and do better in group settings. I don't know why, maybe it is the competition, or they are just tired of me? :D

We are also having issues with sloppy, juvenile work. He has known what he wants to do and what kind of college he wants to go to for a few years now, so it helps to remind him that he is never going to reach those goals if he keeps working like that. I've also had the "principal" step in and give him a good talking to. It is something that he just has to be reminded of on a regular basis, though.

You've gotten some great advice so far so I just wanted to add one thing. I've had several conversations with my dd, 8th grade, about her future, not only college & career, but also what she wants to study in high school. This has helped her get more invested in actual learning right now & not just trying to get through it.

You mentioned that your ds is really into computers & you were going to start computer programming in 9th grade. Is there any reason you couldn't start now, even just a couple days a week? If he's doing something he really enjoys, there could be a positive domino effect on all school subjects. Just a thought.

Also, :grouphug:.

It's not easy having a teen!

My ds is in 8th this year, it takes us 5-6 hours a day for schoolwork, and he has assigned reading to do outside of the regular hours.

I agree with other posters who have recommended note taking, esp for history. Ds is using Human Odyssey vol 1 (I'm doing SOTW 1: Ancients with my 6 and 10 yr olds, I'm trying to keep them parallel), I have some extra research materials (magazines and encyclopedias) for him to use (and take notes on) additionally.

Is he your youngest? I often have my older help out one of his siblings if they get stuck, I think that helps him as well as helping them. Also if he gets through his work quickly, I just say, "Great! That means I can give you some more." I don't have a set amount of time for each subject, but if he breezes through a math lesson in twenty minutes I'm fine with having him go onto the next one or to do more related exercises.

I've noticed these years more than others that sometimes ds has less ability to focus on task for a longer period of time. I'm wondering whether that is a developed skill that I should be easing him into. I mean, he can read a book for pleasure for an hour, or of course play a computer game for an hour (or more), but perhaps he needs help in developing the self-discipline to study a subject for an hour, kwim?

That last part is my own personal musings, it may not be germaine to this discussion at all.

Chris,

Peace,

Janice

I never thought of the bolded in those terms, but it puts a lot at our house into place. I've found that one son, who is prone to goofing off, is not only combative about being called out, but is resentful that his activitiy is being cut short.

I've been trying to do subject by subject checking in here too. Tomorrow will also see us doing most of our school in the same room.

DS #2 was struggling with reading comprehension. Currently he is 8th grade and after doing IEW SWI B, he has been applying key word outline approach to social studies and science. Unfortunately he was still having difficulties. I came across an old Wordly Wise book with short passages on a variety of topics. He already knows all the vocab words, but he has been reading the passages and then narrating the info back to me. This seems to have helped him out in his reading comprehension and his note taking ability. If you try to work on your son building his outlining skills and find it rough going, I'd suggest starting him with narrations as well.

GL!