Menu

Insurance question in the wake of Libby's accident

When Libby was hit by a car on Tuesday, the owner of the car was waiting off to the side. I was totally focused on getting Libby to the vet for care. Just before I drove off, the driver came up and asked me if we could exchange information. I just said "Don't worry. None of this was your fault." (And it wasn't.) The woman did not say anything more, but I was also getting into the car at the time. So now in retrospect I wonder if she was also worried about damage to her car from hitting the dog. My kids said her car was fine but I don't know really if that's true or not, though my dog is only 35 pounds, so I would think the car would be fine. Do I need to try and track her down to see if her car is ok? I want to do the ethical thing here, not just the easy thing.

:grouphug:

i think that she was being kind. if she had been worried about her car, she would have said more, and she didn't.

:grouphug:

ann

:iagree: I *seriously* doubt ANY damage could have been done by hitting a 35 lb dog. If she did have damage, though, she knows where you live, what you look like, what car you drive, the kids, etc. I wouldn't worry about that. Focus on Libby and your dd.

That's not true. I would think it depends on the car though. In GA, one of our friend had a couple thousand dollar damage from hitting a very large aramdillo. My brother had decent amount of damage from hitting a very large racoon.

Did those critters survive?

I would think if the dog made it, it couldn't have damaged the car much.

To the OP: I guess if it did though, she knows where to find you. Surely she realized it was not a good time for you to be worrying about her bumper.

:iagree: I *seriously* doubt ANY damage could have been done by hitting a 35 lb dog. If she did have damage, though, she knows where you live, what you look like, what car you drive, the kids, etc. I wouldn't worry about that. Focus on Libby and your dd.

She doesn't know where I live. The accident happened in front of the dog park, not my home. She does know what I look like and what car I drive.

My son was hit by a car while riding his bike a couple of years ago. Their insurance company went after ours for the damage to their car.

What? Was it somehow your son's fault? I would have thought that in general it would be the automobile driver's insurance's responsibility, but I guess I'm wrong!

I seriously don't know how you could track her down. If you could, it would be nice if you made sure her car was all right. If she had been really concerned, she would probably have insisted on getting your information before you left.

:iagree:

She was probably in shock, too. I know I would be if I hit a dog.

Is there any update on Libby?