Menu

Going dairy & wheat free ...

how soon did you notice a difference?

I'm going to trial both myself and Possum on a dairy & wheat free diet. He's not having wheat but will be having some dairy & wheat via my breastmilk. It's just a trial to see if it makes any difference to his tummy trouble or sleep issues.

It's going to be an extreme change to my diet so how long do i need to do it for to say it has or hasn't made any difference?

Give yourself at least two weeks, but I've heard it could take a month. I went dairy-free with the little one, and from my memory, it seemed she was better in about a week and continued to improve. Her tummy troubles seemed to have finally ended when we tried her on a dairy and casein-free diet plus a gluten free diet.

Remember to carefully read labels. Whey and casein cause problems for people avoiding dairy.

Give yourself at least two weeks, but I've heard it could take a month. I went dairy-free with the little one, and from my memory, it seemed she was better in about a week and continued to improve. Her tummy troubles seemed to have finally ended when we tried her on a dairy and casein-free diet plus a gluten free diet.

Remember to carefully read labels. Whey and casein cause problems for people avoiding dairy.

Will the labels read casein or whey? Do they call it different things like they do MSG? I pretty much plan to stick with fruit, veggies & meat and we don't do a lot of processed products anyway but i will be sure to check everything first.

Will the labels read casein or whey? Do they call it different things like they do MSG? I pretty much plan to stick with fruit, veggies & meat and we don't do a lot of processed products anyway but i will be sure to check everything first.

Most labels should say "contains Milk" OR will have casein or whey or some sort of dairy in the ingredients.

One nice thing to look for is Pareve or Parve on a product, that means it is kosher and dairy free.

Potato chips and salad dressing is a big source of hidden dairy IME. I usually make my own dressing. Non-dairy creamer has casein in it but you can find dairy free creamer at some stores. Most chocolate has dairy, Trader Joes has some without and you can find dairy free chocolate chips.

Deli meats are often injected with dairy as well as turkey or chicken. :( You have to be careful.

Edited by Sis

Most labels should say "contains Milk" OR will have casein or whey or some sort of dairy in the ingredients.

One nice thing to look for is Pareve or Parve on a product, that means it is kosher and dairy free.

Potato chips and salad dressing is a big source of hidden dairy IME. I usually make my own dressing. Non-dairy creamer has casein in it but you can find dairy free creamer at some stores. Most chocolate has dairy, Trader Joes has some without and you can find dairy free chocolate chips.

Deli meats are often injected with dairy as well as turkey or chicken. :( You have to be careful.

Thankyou!

My son's dairy allergy was really clear when after being careful with dairy in my diet I had mashed potatoes and gravy from a restaurant without thinking. After nursing, he almost immediately had a diarrhea with some blood. :(

We were told it was okay to add dairy back into my diet after only a few months off of it. I don't know if that contributed to his allergies being as severe as they are.

It is tough.

There are a number of threads where people talk about dairy free eating, so you may find some ideas there.

The Pareve label was really helpful. FAAN is also good with info about what to look for when avoiding foods.

:grouphug:

Back when I had nurslings, I did not know any better about the gluten. We had all sorts of issues.. I tried dairy free and it helped with my colicky one within a week.. But dairy free did not help with my severe refluxer (MAJOR puking). The day I stopped breastfeeding her (around 8 months) was the day she stopped refluxing. That was such a mystery to me until years later she was diagnosed with Celiac disease. She had been getting gluten through my breastmilk and that's what was causing the reflux.

But for my colicky one, dairy free made a huge difference in her colic and sleep issues.. She was the most fussy baby EVER until I went dairy free. She still cannot have dairy to this day. She is sensitive to the casein and it causes everything from behavior issues to bedwetting.

Edited by Misty

Since you are doing a big diet change I would make sure to go gluten free not just wheat free. When we were dealing with allergies my girls even reacted to non gluten free oats. Gluten can be in all kinds of weird things like ketchup etc! I kept a list that I had googled of things that gluten can be in.

So if i'm going to avoid all gluten what name does it go by on ingredients labels?

So if i'm going to avoid all gluten what name does it go by on ingredients labels?

Here's a list of unsafe foods. In particular, notice that modified food starch and hydrolized vegetable protein are on it. You'll find these in many prepared foods and seasoning.

Some vinegar has gluten; Bragg's brand does not. Which is to say that some mayo will have gluten in it (store-bought mayo sometimes has modified food starch, which would have gluten as well as the vinegar used to make it.).

Here's a list of unsafe foods. In particular, notice that modified food starch and hydrolized vegetable protein are on it. You'll find these in many prepared foods and seasoning.

Some vinegar has gluten; Bragg's brand does not. Which is to say that some mayo will have gluten in it (store-bought mayo sometimes has modified food starch, which would have gluten as well as the vinegar used to make it.).

That's the list I used. :) I made most food from scratch. I only used things like condiments if they stated on the label that they were gluten free.

If you see the notation on those it says those items may or may not contain gluten-- they can be made from gluten or other ingredients and it depends on where it is made as well. Made in the US they likely do not mean that.

It may also be safer to not include gluten-free oats in your diet for now because many people that have a problem with gluten also have a problem with oats- even if they are gluten-free. I would reintroduce the oats after things have settled down and you know what is working to test your reaction that way.