Menu

tiny bumps on DS arms

My 14 yr old DS has had these tiny bumps on the top parts of his arms for about 6 months now...they look like acne, but they don't do anything; they don't look infected or anything like that. What can be causing this, and what can I do about it? It seems to me that they have gotten more numerous lately, and he has even gotten a few down on his forearms. I don't believe it is a rash or an allergic reaction to anything...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kirsten

My sisters and I had the same thing growing up and into our early 20s. I don't remember how I learned what it was, but somehow I did. It has to do with lack of enough fish in the diet if I remember correctly. I cannot get more technical than that, or explain it. I have no memory of how I found out that's what it was. But increase fish intake or fish oil or whatever, or try and research to find out more. But somehow I know that...

Ds and I both have what sounds like the same. Backs of the upper arms only, looks pimply but never break, and from far away, arms are noticeably more reddish. I've had it off and on for 15+ years. It's caused by very dry skin. Lotion usually doesn't help get rid of the bumps, although some medicated does. Thanks to Negin here, the one thing that's worked for me is body brushing. Ds has success by briskly rubbing with a dry washcloth. Once you slough, then try using lotion, which will help to cure the problem.

It is likely keratosis pilaris

http://www.helpforkp.com/

Thanks for the link...what a great resource! That looks exactly like what my son has! I noticed it said it is hereditary; my son is the first one in my family or my husbands to have this, although my side does tend to have dry skin and cracked fingers/heals in the winter...

Thanks everyone for the product recommendations...I will definitely try them. It doesn't seem to bother him, but the looks of it is driving me crazy, like I need to do something about it! I give my kids a supplement of EFA's from Swanson...maybe I need to double him up for awhile? Change brands?

Okay, I feel equipped to give this a try...thanks so much for the help!

Kirsten

I've read that bumps on the upper arms are due to yeast (fungal) overgrowth throughout the body.. So you might add that to your list of things to research. Has he had a lot of antibiotics prescribed to him over the years?

ETA: I just googled Keratosis pilaris + yeast and quite a few things came up. Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Edited by Misty